AVS Forum banner

What screen do I want for a JVC RS-4810 in a batcave?

963 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  archiguy 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a "medium" priced 109" wide screen for a JVC RS-4810. This will be a dedicated room painted in Rosco black velour with flat black carpeting, no ambient lighting. Ceiling about 8 feet high, wall about 119" wide. Will be seated about 11 feet back (I know it's closer than recommended, but I want a cinematic, immersive experience). I am going either 2:35 or 2:05. I do watch plenty of 16:9 movies and sometimes it just looks a bit small at 2:35 despite CIH as I have been projecting against a white wall since getting the projector last week.

On any rate, I have been looking hard at the Carada screens the last couple of days. Not sure if Brilliant White or Cinema White would be best here. Not ruling out the Seymour Glacier White either although I have heard little about that screen but it is a 1.3 gain and I am not sure if that is a bit too high. From what I have been reading, I probably want to stick to 1.0 to 1.2 tops.

For me, deep blacks are important as I coming from Panasonic VT60 plasma. But I still want nice contrast. I've heard lower gain helps with blacks, but I've seen others disagree too. One concern of going with a 1.0 gain is that as the bulb fades, it might be a bit too dim, but given how dark the room will be, not sure if that is a big deal.

The projector will also be calibrated by Chad B.

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
My HT includes an RS66 and a Da-Lite High Power (119" diag., 16x9). I upgraded from a matte white 4 years ago & I've had absolutely no desire to go back. JVC's aren't light canons. While 2D can be accomodated well enough with a matte white, 3D would be far too dim for my taste without a high gain screen. If you have any interest in 3D I'd recommend a high gain screen. It can also improve your 2D viewing. JVC projectors achieve higher contrast ratios when their irises are closed down. A high gain fabric allows you to do that while keeping brightness level up. Your lamp life will be extended which can yield significant cost savings. The retro-reflective HP material achieves it's highest gain when you mount the pj close to eye level. If your pj is currently mounted on the ceiling you'll want to install a drop pole to lower it a few feet.

Here's the main thread covering the High Power material. The first post is especially useful describing it's benefits & limitations. The original HP material was 2.8 gain. Da-Lite switched to a 2.4 gain formulation in January 2010. The characteristics of the two fabrics are similar however.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/773065/high-power-a-review-part-1/0_50

Order samples of the fabrics you're interested in. Vutec should be shipping their new 2.2 gain SilverStar screens sometime soon. I don't know how that will fair against the HP, but it sounds promising. I requested a sample but Vutec doesn't have any to ship quite yet.

AV Science has excellent prices on many screens as well as great post-purchase support if you have problems. Mike Garrett has provided good pricing & support on my orders, so I'd recommend contacting him if you're not already working with someone else:

Mike Garrett

585-671-2968

mike@avscience.com

#4 ·
You're welcome! I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after you get your new screen & Chad works his magic on your 4810.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3  /t/1518278/what-screen-do-i-want-for-a-jvc-rs-4810-in-a-batcave#post_24377543

You're welcome! I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after you get your new screen & Chad works his magic on your 4810.

I'd like to know what "magic he works" as that's my projector too, I also have a batcave, and I plan on calibrating it myself.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir  /t/1518278/what-screen-do-i-want-for-a-jvc-rs-4810-in-a-batcave#post_24379574

If all goes well, he should be here in early to mid March. He's packing a Jeti 1211 spectro.
Bah! I possess a Light-spectrum Sabre - the calibration tool of choice for a Jeti-Knight. From a more civilized age.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.