Amazing new projection screen for living rooms with ambient light seen on an exhibition - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 02-20-2014, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I was visiting with my wife the „norddeutsche HiFi Tage“ (translated north german HiFi days) in the Holiday Inn hotel in Hamburg (Germany) start of this month and saw there a presentation of a new projection screen prototype called CouchScreen, which should arrive in the market soon (march or april 2014).

It was presented in a hotel room with a torchiere standing beside the projection screen and also another lamp in the room switched on (maybe around 120 to 150 Lux of ambient light completely), combined with a Panasonic PT AT6000E projector.

When we entered the room we were amazed about the good blacks and the brilliant colors which that screen shows in ambient light.
Such a impressive picture quality we have never seen before on a projection in ambient light with a home cinema projector.

The booth personal explained that the screen has a silver grey highgain canvas (gain 6), that improves the blacklevel and also can show six times more brilliant colors in ambient light than a white canvas.
The screen canvas should be curved horizontal - like actual flat TV's - to minimize hotspot and inhomogeneous light distribution but also for reducing problems with ambient light, coming from the side.

My wife was impressed from that screen so much, that I just started to look for more informations and I found this video clip and thought, that it maybe could also be interesting for others to see it:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-20-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
What size is the screen and what projector was used?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #3 of 16 Old 02-20-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Looks like about 70", so wouldn't make any sense unless it's much cheaper than a flat panel that size.

Noah
post #4 of 16 Old 02-20-2014, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

What size is the screen and what projector was used?
Looks like Panasonic at6000 at 22 seconds.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-21-2014, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Hi,

on the exhibition we saw a 105" screen combined with a Panasonic PT AT6000E.

I called the company, which has shown the screen on the exhibition, yesterday afternoon and they told me, that they will offer the 120" Couchscreen for 1999€, the smallest version with 90" should even only cost 999€ and the first screens will be belivered middle to end of march. They told me at the phone, that they use on the exhibitions the PT AT 6000E in the cinema2 mode and that with the dynamic mode the room could have even more ambient light, but they prefer to use the cinema2 mode for daytime and in night time even the cinema1 or other more dark modes (even in combination with eco mode) should have enough light for a 120" screen, when there's not too strong light switched on in the room.

They also give me a link to another video clip which shows the screen together with small samples from other high contrast projection screens.
One of this samples they also hold (for a short moment) in front of the screen on the exhibition and when I remember correct, the different way of looking of the two screen surfaces was looking on the exhibition similar like in the video clip, but in reality both screens look more bright than in the video clip.

I forget to mention, that we also checked that screen with 3D shutter glasses on the exhibition and even with one lamp on in the room, we saw a very brillant 3D picture with high contrast and impressive colors.
It's really something complete different, than all other screens we've ever seen before. Much more brillant in ambient light than a Draper React 2.1 or the much more expensive Supernova screen, which we find to expensive for the results they realize with a similar projector in a room with ambient light (which is coming in daytime from beside in our living room).

But the best is, my wife this time likes to move our 55" flat TV to our sleeping room and install such a 120" screen in our living room, because it enables us to have real cinema feeling in our living room with lights switched on in evening and with blinds down it should be useable even in daytime, so I will order one screen in the next days (before my wife maybe changes her mind a again ...) and so I hope that in some weeks I can answer you more questions about this projection screen.

Does anybody know, if the Epson TW9200W can realize a (much) better picture quality than the Panasonic PT AT6000E, which impressed us a lot on the booth on that screen?
In Germany there is a price difference from up to 900€ between this both projectors.
(until now I could see rbe on every 1-chip dlp and with DILA or SXRD I have no private eperiences. Before some weeks a dealer shows in the office where i work some different projectors and on the Xeed model I recognized a small flickering on pictures with different grey levels - is that a typic LCOS problem?)
post #6 of 16 Old 03-06-2014, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
kunoklotz:

Could you see any visible texture/sparklies in the picture? Any visible hot-spoting?
I have so far seen the Firehawk, React, SR Multipix & DNP Supernova materials, all except the Supernova had visible texture/sparklies in the picture.

This new material def looks interesting.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-07-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeApples View Post

kunoklotz:

Could you see any visible texture/sparklies in the picture? Any visible hot-spoting?
I have so far seen the Firehawk, React, SR Multipix & DNP Supernova materials, all except the Supernova had visible texture/sparklies in the picture.

This new material def looks interesting.

I am pretty much settled on React. I didn't like Firehawk or Black Diamond. I had a greywolf 1.8 screen in my prior theater room. There were some sparkles, but I learned to live with them. How bad were they on the react?
post #9 of 16 Old 03-07-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benkin View Post

I am pretty much settled on React. I didn't like Firehawk or Black Diamond. I had a greywolf 1.8 screen in my prior theater room. There were some sparkles, but I learned to live with them. How bad were they on the react?

Comparing the React with Firehawk, it had less sparkles. I would say that it`s the material with the least visible sparkles between the ones i mentioned including also Black Diamond.
I havn`t seen the greywolf material so it`s hard for me to say how it would compare in terms of sparkles.

Yesterday, i had a look at a new high contrast material from Draper called "high performance", it had even less sparkles compared to the React but also a lower gain of 0.85. If you have the possibility i think you should have a look at this material also.
http://www.draperinc.com/ProjectionScreens/HighPerformance.asp
post #10 of 16 Old 03-08-2014, 04:43 AM

Looks like there will be no online selling,

"Our aim is to be found in all major cities a home theater or hi-fi dealer, who not only keeps a couch screen canvas in his presentation ready, but also expert advice and the installation can perform when prospects. A mail order is not intended for Couch Screen screens."
post #11 of 16 Old 04-06-2014, 01:46 PM

I've seen this screen personally and I can tell you people: this looks better than react 2.1

I'm still projecting my W1070 image into a white wall (budget problem).
I've requested a react 2.1 sample to compare it with my white wall, some paints in the wall... but spending 2000e was too much for me (react 2.1). I was searching for the cheaper / better quality option.
I've exchanged some emails with the owner from this store and he was really nice.
I saw this working in front of my eyes like the other user: kunoklotz and I can just tell you guys....... this screen is fantastic (both with / without light). All the colors.. blacks...

I will get one of these screens next month (end of may) and i will post some pictures with my gaming rig smile.gif
But i will manage to order one of these.. so.. i believe you guys wont have a problem getting one also. Shipping is not that expansive across europe
post #12 of 16 Old 04-09-2014, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I've had several long discussions with Bodo Olschewski from Revosoft, the makers of CouchScreen. It's a curved 6.0 gain screen. The projector needs to be mounted in the middle of the screen and you need to sit in the center to get the best picture and gain. Projector should be mounted at 1.8 x screen width from the screen so for a 120" diagonal screen, the projector would need to be ~15' away from the screen to minimize the risk of hotspotting.

For my setup, multi-purpose living room / theater room, this screen would not work well since I need extremely wide viewing angles. It does look like it works well for certain applications though, just not mine.

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

post #13 of 16 Old 04-16-2014, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
wow. definitely interesting. Half the price of the black diamond. I was thinking of upgrading my 100" 0.8 gain to the 120" 1.4 gain BD but cost has been pulling me back. This looks promising.
post #14 of 16 Old 04-17-2014, 07:58 AM

My screen will arrive next week - 25 April.
So I hope that in 1 week I will be able to share with you guys the screen pictures, specs, overview...

:-)
post #15 of 16 Old 05-01-2014, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_I_M_P View Post

My screen will arrive next week - 25 April.
So I hope that in 1 week I will be able to share with you guys the screen pictures, specs, overview...

:-)

Did you receive your screen yet? If so, what's your impressions? Can you post some pictures?

Respectfully,
Mr. Hatcher

post #16 of 16 Old 05-15-2014, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Agreed - some pictures and your comments would be nice.

Thanks,
Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page