Yet another 2.35:1/16:9 thread:) - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Screens > Yet another 2.35:1/16:9 thread:)

Screens

hussain's Avatar hussain
04:40 AM Liked: 20
post #1 of 7
03-09-2014 | Posts: 344
Joined: Jun 2007
Hi,


I can fit both 130" 2.35:1 screen as well as 135" 16:9 screen in my room.

The effective screen size of 2.35 movie projected onto 130" 2.35 screen is almost the same as 135" 16:9 screen. (in square inches 6088 vs 5888)

Furthermore it will alow me to buy Sony VP-HW55ES instead of having to buy PT-AE8000.
.
Is there any reason to go with 130" 2.35:1 screen instead of 135" 16:9?

As i have not sampled 2.35:1 ratio screen, does having blackbars "on screen" instead having them "above and below" destroys the viewing experience?

Regards
SMH
hussain's Avatar hussain
11:24 AM Liked: 20
post #2 of 7
03-09-2014 | Posts: 344
Joined: Jun 2007
anyone
ch1sox's Avatar ch1sox
03:41 PM Liked: 26
post #3 of 7
03-09-2014 | Posts: 450
Joined: Dec 2006
I have a 133" 2.35 and will never go 16:9 again. Movies feel absolutely awesome in 2.35. When watching 16:9 content the image is very large so the bars are not a problem at all.
Ebase131's Avatar Ebase131
03:07 PM Liked: 14
post #4 of 7
03-13-2014 | Posts: 131
Joined: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1sox View Post

I have a 133" 2.35 and will never go 16:9 again. Movies feel absolutely awesome in 2.35. When watching 16:9 content the image is very large so the bars are not a problem at all.

Regarding this, if you have a 2.35:1, what type of anamorphic lens do you have and where did you purchase it from?

 

Is the 16:9 format stuff on the same screen (tv, gaming) and how does the projector flip back and forth between the two formats?  Is the height of the images the same, and the only thing changing is the width?


ch1sox's Avatar ch1sox
06:06 PM Liked: 26
post #5 of 7
03-13-2014 | Posts: 450
Joined: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebase131 View Post

Regarding this, if you have a 2.35:1, what type of anamorphic lens do you have and where did you purchase it from?

Is the 16:9 format stuff on the same screen (tv, gaming) and how does the projector flip back and forth between the two formats?  Is the height of the images the same, and the only thing changing is the width?

I use the zoom method where the projector zooms the image to fill the screen. TV and games are generally 16:9 and the some projectors will auto switch the images between 16:9 (1.78) and 2.35. Yes, the height is the same, but the width expands out (CIH).
Ebase131's Avatar Ebase131
06:54 PM Liked: 14
post #6 of 7
03-13-2014 | Posts: 131
Joined: Mar 2014

I see, but then the image is distorted then for movies is that right?  Or do you use an anamorphic lens?  If so, which brand and where did you get it from?


Craig Peer's Avatar Craig Peer
08:11 PM Liked: 333
post #7 of 7
03-13-2014 | Posts: 5,444
Joined: Aug 2003
Quote:
I see, but then the image is distorted then for movies is that right? Or do you use an anamorphic lens? If so, which brand and where did you get it from?

You can either use an anamorphic lens like the Panamorph CineVista, or you can zoom. Zooming does not distort the picture. I use two screens - one 16:9, or 2.35:1 ( electric ) and I zoom larger or smaller whenever I change formats. Been doing it this way for 5 or 6 years. Either way works and has pros and cons.
Tags: Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector , Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector
Gear in this thread
Reply Screens

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3