Anyone using elites screens 100" acousticpro1080p2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 03-10-2014, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone have experience wirh the Elite screens acoustic pro 1080p2 frame...need to make a decision quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-12-2014, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Anybody have experience with these screens??
post #3 of 19 Old 03-14-2014, 10:44 PM

Liked: 15
I have a 115" 2.35:1 Elite AcousticPro 1080p2 screen. I'm very happy with it. Picture is great, and I have left center and right speakers behind the screen. The frame is solid, and it was relatively easy to put together. The plastic clips used to tension the screen are a bit of a pain to install, but they work fine.
post #4 of 19 Old 03-21-2014, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I just ordered a 176" 2.35:1. guaranteed 30 day return policy via Amazon so we shall see. I'm coming off a Stewart Firehawk - but that cost me almost $2,000 10 years ago for a 100". Couldn't stomach the dollars to stay with Stewart. I'll report back when I get it.

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

-From a post on the audio video improvements forum
post #5 of 19 Old 03-22-2014, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am also interested in hearing your review of the AT Elite screen
post #6 of 19 Old 03-23-2014, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Well Yukichon you may have to wait. I'm getting cold feet and thinking maybe I haven't gone big enough and also maybe I should pony up more $ for the Acoustipro4K material to be ready for 4K. Screen arrives tomorrow but I may not unbox it for a few days while I consider making the insane decision of returning it for the 196" Lunette curved Acoustipro4K. eek.gif

"Don't forget that a significant contribution made by the use of high-end cabling is emotional. Knowing that you have the best available causes the listening and viewing to be that much more enjoyable. Observable improvements make it even better."

post #7 of 19 Old 03-24-2014, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Haha, sounds like you are as confused as me....the Seymour AV AT screen has been recommended to me, the Elite series look great value and the Flacon screen made by a member here looks cool...decisions decisions
post #8 of 19 Old 03-25-2014, 08:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreeves View Post

I just ordered a 176" 2.35:1. guaranteed 30 day return policy via Amazon so we shall see. I'm coming off a Stewart Firehawk - but that cost me almost $2,000 10 years ago for a 100". Couldn't stomach the dollars to stay with Stewart. I'll report back when I get it.

What are you lighting it up with? The Elite is lower gain than the FireHawk.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #9 of 19 Old 04-17-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Bump for update?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #10 of 19 Old 05-10-2014, 03:02 PM

Liked: 10
I just got a Elite SableFrame 100" acousticpro1080p2 from Amazon. I'm lighting it with an Optoma HD25e, and I'm... disappointed. There's a noticeable Moire pattern. I've tried to reduce it by re-installing the screen in the frame with a slightly different tension clip pattern with little improvement. The only thing that seems to make it less obvious is to throw the PJ slightly out of focus (to the point of soft focus, not all the way fuzzy). That's less than ideal, obviously. One other trick mentioned is to move the PJ back, and use the digital zoom to bring the image back down to the screen size, also less than optimal.

It seems to be an issue with the weave of the fabric. Even though it is cut on a 15-20 deg bias, it just does not seem to have a tight enough weave for 1080p content.

A discussion was started over here from the PJ side of the issue, but it has become apparent it is the screen:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1515202/moire-issue-with-my-elite-acoustic-pro-screen-and-my-new-optima-hd25e#post_24704756

I'm going to call Elite tech support next week to see if they have any advice or a remedy. I'm not sure what else to do.

M.
post #11 of 19 Old 05-10-2014, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a 106" Elite with both the 1080p2 and the 4k materials. The 4k is definitely MUCH better. Not the the 1080p2 is not a decent budget solution, especially for an AT screen, but I did see moire and it felt like a screen/projector setup vs. "a window" with the same PJ (JVC 4810 fully calibrated and with Darbee) and the 4k.

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
post #12 of 19 Old 05-10-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiojan View Post

I have a 106" Elite with both the 1080p2 and the 4k materials. The 4k is definitely MUCH better. Not the the 1080p2 is not a decent budget solution, especially for an AT screen, but I did see moire and it felt like a screen/projector setup vs. "a window" with the same PJ (JVC 4810 fully calibrated and with Darbee) and the 4k.

So you have one frame, but two screens? Will Elite sell the screen without the frame? I guess what I'm getting at is: Will Elite sell a drop in replacement 4k screen for the frarme I already have? If so, I might have to give them a call and upgrade...

M.
post #13 of 19 Old 05-10-2014, 05:32 PM

Yes, Elite does sell the screen materials for existing frames, which allows you to upgrade the screen as you need/want.

Obviously, I only use one material, the 4K, but I do have the 1080p2 as well.

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
post #14 of 19 Old 05-11-2014, 09:03 AM

I recently purchased Elite Screens 120 Inch 16:9 SableFrame Acoustically Transparent Fixed Projector Screen. I'm pairing it up with an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8100 projector. I'm in the process of building a dedicated home theater and haven't got a chance to test them together. I'll see if I can temporary install the screen and test my projector and screen to see if I get the same moire pattern also.
post #15 of 19 Old 05-11-2014, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Weeks of no updates then updates all at once.

Pictures of my buddy helping assembling it. Excuse the mess - the room is in the early stages of becoming a dedicated bat cave:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s298/sh/937456a5-f1d2-4c18-9e28-87bb6c9f0c49/62432436e6071bc2119ecdda2895baca

I just got my Acoustipro1080p2 176" 2.35:1 set up last night and did some test shooting with my projector (which will not permanently light up this screen - it's not bright enough).

And yes there is moire visible on white backgrounds. However, I got a 176" 2.35:1 AT screen for less than $600 delivered. On the other hand they advertise this as being good for 1080P and the weave is supposed to be invisible.

In addition they shipped it with the wrong tension rod lengths, there is a dark spot on the screen at the top right (invisible with video material displayed), and a bit of a wrinkle/wave in the top left).

The instruction manual is a comedy routine of "lost in translation" as well.

I will be chatting with their tech support tomorrow.

I'm undecided with what to do - the picture with my Samsung SP-A800B is stunning. Really stunning. Frankly I think it hides the compression artifacts and mosquito noise of source material because it's not as precise a surface as my old Stewart Firehawk 100".

And I've priced AT screens in this size with other fabrics - fugghedaboutit.

So even if they say "okay we'll give you your money back" - then what will I do? I'm not about to lay out $5K or more on an AT screen this size from somebody else. What I may do is wait a year or two and swap the fabric for their 4K material.

Again these screens are extreme bargains, so, how much can you complain? For the savings vs other manufacturers I've budgeted for a stage and screen wall build, the room painted, the carpet dyed, can lights put in, etc. etc.

post #16 of 19 Old 05-12-2014, 02:11 AM

The moire really only shows up in bright scenes with lots of motion. Static white doesn't seem to show it at all. Then add that some people are really sensitive to it and others just ignore it (doesn't mean they don't see it, it just doesn't bother them). For $600, you're going to be hard pressed to find any screen that size, especially an AT one. I would live with it for a while to see how sensitive you are to it.

post #17 of 19 Old 05-12-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisreeves View Post

Weeks of no updates then updates all at once.

Pictures of my buddy helping assembling it. Excuse the mess - the room is in the early stages of becoming a dedicated bat cave:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s298/sh/937456a5-f1d2-4c18-9e28-87bb6c9f0c49/62432436e6071bc2119ecdda2895baca

I just got my Acoustipro1080p2 176" 2.35:1 set up last night and did some test shooting with my projector (which will not permanently light up this screen - it's not bright enough).

And yes there is moire visible on white backgrounds. However, I got a 176" 2.35:1 AT screen for less than $600 delivered. On the other hand they advertise this as being good for 1080P and the weave is supposed to be invisible.

In addition they shipped it with the wrong tension rod lengths, there is a dark spot on the screen at the top right (invisible with video material displayed), and a bit of a wrinkle/wave in the top left).

The instruction manual is a comedy routine of "lost in translation" as well.

I will be chatting with their tech support tomorrow.

I'm undecided with what to do - the picture with my Samsung SP-A800B is stunning. Really stunning. Frankly I think it hides the compression artifacts and mosquito noise of source material because it's not as precise a surface as my old Stewart Firehawk 100".

And I've priced AT screens in this size with other fabrics - fugghedaboutit.

So even if they say "okay we'll give you your money back" - then what will I do? I'm not about to lay out $5K or more on an AT screen this size from somebody else. What I may do is wait a year or two and swap the fabric for their 4K material.

Again these screens are extreme bargains, so, how much can you complain? For the savings vs other manufacturers I've budgeted for a stage and screen wall build, the room painted, the carpet dyed, can lights put in, etc. etc.

Perhaps they will give you a bit of a bargain price on upgraded 4k fabric? You could buy some Seymour XD material straight from Seymour. It'd probably cost you $400-$500 - maybe less. Attach that to the elite screen? Sell the elite screen fabric on craigslist as blemished. Someone could still use it for a smaller screen if the discoloration is only in the corner?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #18 of 19 Old 05-12-2014, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Good ideas archea. Audiojan - interestingly I decided to watch an entire movie last night to see if I could live with the moire. I kid you not - after 20 minutes or so I could no longer see the moire. I dont' know if my brain is playing tricks on me and "hiding" it, or what, but it disappeared visually.

It also occurred to me that at that size - 176", with a 1080p projector, my pixel size compared to the weave is larger than someone using a 100" screen with the same resolution - the weave will be comparatively coarser on the 100" screen. How this variable affects moire is an unknown.

I overnighted a Benq W1070 to test-shoot with, just to see if the moire is more visible with a light cannon, and I'll report back tomorrow after seeing the results.

post #19 of 19 Old 05-26-2014, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Hey All,

Sorry for such a late response. I ended up going with a Seymour AV 109" CenterStage XD screen with an economy frame. Screen cost was $795 from Seymour. I have the screen paired with an Epson 5030UB, in a dedicated media room, and all  can say is WOW! Images are freaking awesome, no noticeable weave pattern from 8" back11, and sound coming from behind screen is great! Was 1 click away from ordering Elite acousticpro1080p2 from amazon, and glad I purchased this screen instead! I don't see how ANY picture could look better, even from a 4k projector. No moire effect evident, and 3d is amazing. Colors pop, and black levels are great! Screen was easy to assemble, and mine came with the velvet wrapped frame, instead of the black powder coat it says is standard on the website. I highly recommend this projector, and the Seymour screen.....you will not be disappointed!

chriscmore likes this.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page