Rear Projector or Acoustic Transparent - Poll - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: If you had room for either choice would you install a Rear Projection or Acoustic Transparent Screen
Rear Projection 0 0%
Acoustic Transparent 11 100.00%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-19-2014, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 654
If the room wasn't a problem, would you install a Rear Projection or Acoustic Transparent Screen? Which is preferable?

Rear Projection allows for you to have ambient light in your theater room and still enjoy decent blacks on cinematic video.
Acoustic Transparent allows a potentially more cinematic audio experience.

I've purchased a new house, and the room has enough space for either option. Which is generally more agreeable?

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-19-2014, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Would a rear PJ need to compromise a center channel location, either top or bottom right?
Think of all the extra space and freedom to traverse the room and never get In the light path when using a rear PJ ..nice.
I voted AT screen.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-19-2014, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hindikush - also Xbox One kinnect functions would work better without standing in front of the projector beam like with a traditional screen or AT screen.

post #4 of 12 Old 03-20-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I voted AT only bc you would have to sit very close to a rear projection tv to achieve an immersive viewing angle. The largest ones I found were about 80" and close to 4 grand. If you want a 45 degree viewing angle you would have to sit really close (not sure how close and too lazy to look the calculator up right now) and this could make the audio tricky for getting good stereo coverage and integration of the surround channels for all of the people. Second row viewing angle probably pretty small.

But if party atmosphere and socializing is key then you don't want the lights out. Could consider an ultra high gain screen. I am personally sensitive to the sparklies introduced with gain screens of any kind but everyone's tolerance is a bit different.

post #5 of 12 Old 03-20-2014, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
OH, X-box Kinetic yes, I'm not even going to mention that to my wife, as that's her only complain about my overhead front PJ, doesn't bother my daughter as she's only 40' tall.

Jedi.. I believe your confusing a rear projection TV to a rear projection.. projector. Look at the rear of your current screen, my daughter loves to, I find her watching from back there often..lol
post #6 of 12 Old 03-20-2014, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Each had their tradeoffs and you have to decide which is more important to you. Picture quality, ambient light, game playing are all in favor of rear projection. Better placement of speakers, no large screen being a reflective surface and possibility of putting acoustic treatments behind the screen all favor an AT screen. It is an audio vs. video trade off. One factor you didn't mention is what is the intended screen size?
post #7 of 12 Old 03-20-2014, 08:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 153
You can get RP screens up to 200", but even half that size for a good one will be many $k.

Also you need a lot of room for the booth and/or expensive mirror system.

Noah
post #8 of 12 Old 03-28-2014, 04:11 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 802
No question.

Acoustic transparent.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #9 of 12 Old 04-07-2014, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I have run both pulldown and AT, currently using a fixed frame AT and strongly prefer it.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-07-2014, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13 View Post

I have run both pulldown and AT, currently using a fixed frame AT and strongly prefer it.
pulldown rear projector? Or pulldown front projector?

post #11 of 12 Old 04-07-2014, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Front. Never ran rear projections.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-11-2014, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I voted AT since it lets you get the center speaker or LCR behind the screen for a more movie theater like experience.
Rear projection eats up space you could use for a bigger room.
If you're concerned about the projector being in the room, put in a projection booth at the back of the theater and fire it through a small window.

Would I have stayed happy not knowing how good it could be? 

My theater in print 

Mocha Theater Construction thread 

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page