Picked up a Draper XS850E screen over the weekend - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-28-2014, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I drove a good 200 miles to pick up this screen, but it was worth it. I got a Draper XS850E 132" in 2.35 which comes in a very long box. This was the first time I put together a screen so it took me a little bit, but if doing it again I'm sure it would go much faster. I currently have it set up with a Panasonic 8000u (still need to adjust throw distance). This will be used in my basement so I needed something with ambient light rejection qualities.

Anyway, I am really happy this screen has a massive viewing cone. I have it setup in a basement corner and it's nice to have such a nice looking picture from virtually any angle you look. I'm not sure the "official" viewing angle, but I imagine it must be fairly large. I'm no video scientist, but I think the colors and blacks looks great. I know some others were wondering if it had any sparkles/sheen and I can say there are virtually none when I'm watching tv or movies. On very bright white scenes I don't see any from my seating distance. You would have to have your face on the screen to notice any. Is there hotspotting? Not that I can tell.

Overall, I don't really have anything bad to say about this thing, it's just so nice. I don't have all lights in the basement installed yet, so here are three three pics showing the great viewing angles: Straight on, 45 degrees and a super large angle. Sorry for shaky picture skills with my phone...hehe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-29-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Seems like a really nice screen. Just not for everyone. It's best suited for a living room with a wide sofa standing relatively close to the screen. And projector must be bright!
post #3 of 7 Old 03-31-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 71
OP, I'm glad you like it.
I've always wanted to get the XS850E but the price is prohibitive. End up getting the next tier - MS1000V. I wouldn't say it's magic on daytime viewing in my all white room (looks bad but a white screen will look worse), but it's good enough for night time viewing in my all white room.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-25-2014, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

OP, I'm glad you like it.
I've always wanted to get the XS850E but the price is prohibitive. End up getting the next tier - MS1000V. I wouldn't say it's magic on daytime viewing in my all white room (looks bad but a white screen will look worse), but it's good enough for night time viewing in my all white room.

Sounds like this screen is really a disappointment for you. I was thinking of the MS1000V for my family room, but your comment has me thinking otherwise...

Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-25-2014, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Any chance of pictures with a decent amount of ambient light?

Thanks,
Dave

FOR SALE: Wireworld Platinum 6 1M HDMI Cable. Originally $1000, selling for $500 obo. Please PM me, if interested.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-28-2014, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post

Any chance of pictures with a decent amount of ambient light?

Thanks,
Dave

We normally have the side light and back light on as seen in the first picture when watching sports/tv. For movies we have all lights off. Picture 2 has side light off and picture 3 is all lights off. I still need to install a light above/around the seating area so this is best I can get for now.

Side light (right side) and back light on.

Back light on.

No lights on.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-28-2014, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks so much for the pictures!

Dave

Reply Screens
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page