Stewart FireHawk G4 or CIMA Neve - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-13-2014, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi,

Suggestions/advice between the FireHawk and CIMA are appreciated. My room is not a "bat cave" but it probably better than many at keeping light somewhat neutralized. I am trying to determine between the two.

Here are the details:

-Projector: Sony VPL-HW55ES
-Seating distance is about 1.4 screen diagonal.
-I sit in the center of screen and am less concerned with off angle viewing

GOOD
-Room is small basement media room and I watch at night so there is no light other than the projector and reflective light
-Walls are very dark gray matte finish

BAD
-Carpet is tan/beige so not perfect.
-Ceiling is textured plaster unpainted (off white in color)
-Front, Center speaker and large subwoofer near and below screen are piano black so quite reflective.

I may try to make some improvement is reducing reflective light, but assuming I don't, which of the two screen materials would be better?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-14-2014, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I have the exact same dilemma and similar set up (almost identical, lol). I ordered samples of every potential screen fabric to review. I'll post my findings when they show up. Initially I thought I would need black diamond 1.4 for sure but after throwing up some cheap screen material from Carl's I came to the conclusion that black diamond isn't a requirement. Now its just picking between the Stewart materials. smile.gif
post #3 of 8 Old 04-14-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm2128 View Post

Hi,

Suggestions/advice between the FireHawk and CIMA are appreciated. My room is not a "bat cave" but it probably better than many at keeping light somewhat neutralized. I am trying to determine between the two.

Here are the details:

-Projector: Sony VPL-HW55ES
-Seating distance is about 1.4 screen diagonal.
-I sit in the center of screen and am less concerned with off angle viewing

GOOD
-Room is small basement media room and I watch at night so there is no light other than the projector and reflective light
-Walls are very dark gray matte finish

BAD
-Carpet is tan/beige so not perfect.
-Ceiling is textured plaster unpainted (off white in color)
-Front, Center speaker and large subwoofer near and below screen are piano black so quite reflective.

I may try to make some improvement is reducing reflective light, but assuming I don't, which of the two screen materials would be better?

Thanks!

What size screen and throw distance? If the throw is okay for the FireHawk, then I would probably lean that way, because of the white ceiling, light colored carpet and reflective speakers/subs. If we can help you, give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-14-2014, 12:49 PM
TL5
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Also consider the Cima Tiburon.....
post #5 of 8 Old 04-14-2014, 04:46 PM

The Neve isn't that great IMHO. After seeing a sample- it was the first one off the list. Way too white/bright- as in you don't get any blacks and everything appears dull. That's with the 55 in reference mode. Neve was the worst of the bunch I've tested thus far and not even on the radar.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-15-2014, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Dan30306,

That just means it was too bright in your particular situation - screen size, projector, room environment and preference. Not that it's not an excellent screen, which it is. I have tested a lot of screen materials and I consider the Neve the very best neutral gain material i.e. for moderately sized screens in dark environments. Also, normally brightness is limited and low gain (low brightness) screens considered a drawback, especially for screens over 100-120'' or so or if you're into 3D or have ambient light.

If it was me in the situation of the OP I would darken the ceiling closest to the screen with either paint or tack black velvet to it. And then go for the neve screen. But I'm also very sensitive to the drawbacks of high contrast screens. That said, a white screen will beat a high contrast screen in a good environment, since you get all of the drawbacks of the latter but non of its benefits.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-16-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexler View Post

Dan30306,

That just means it was too bright in your particular situation - screen size, projector, room environment and preference. Not that it's not an excellent screen, which it is. I have tested a lot of screen materials and I consider the Neve the very best neutral gain material i.e. for moderately sized screens in dark environments. Also, normally brightness is limited and low gain (low brightness) screens considered a drawback, especially for screens over 100-120'' or so or if you're into 3D or have ambient light.

If it was me in the situation of the OP I would darken the ceiling closest to the screen with either paint or tack black velvet to it. And then go for the neve screen. But I'm also very sensitive to the drawbacks of high contrast screens. That said, a white screen will beat a high contrast screen in a good environment, since you get all of the drawbacks of the latter but non of its benefits.

Yea, I'm just rookie at this.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-17-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
The Neve isn't that great IMHO. After seeing a sample- it was the first one off the list. Way too white/bright- as in you don't get any blacks and everything appears dull. That's with the 55 in reference mode. Neve was the worst of the bunch I've tested thus far and not even on the radar.

If you had the perfect viewing environment ( a theater with dark walls and no light ) then the Cima Neve and the StudioTek 130 would not only be at the top of your list, I would advise against getting any grey screen - period. You can either optimize your room, or you can put a bandaide on it by using a grey screen. There's a reason commercial movie theaters don't have white walls and sky lights! smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page