thoughts on these screens? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-17-2014, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
im looking to buy the BenQ W1070 projector, but need a screen. I really cant spend $1500 on a really good screen, so, im looking at the $80-$200 offerings from Frys electronics.

They sell screens from Inland Pro-HT, LOCH, and there is also and Epson. Last week, I went to a local home theater store and they had an Epson 8350 projecting on a Stewart screen (not sure which screen model) and it looked great. I was told that the BenQ W1070 would give me a nearly identical picture, but will do so at almost half the price. My question is, if i'm looking for a screen in the ~$100-$300 range, would the Frys screens mentioned above do well, or is there a better screen for that price?

Also, how much difference in picture quality would one expect from viewing on a higher priced screen (such as the stewart I was looking at) and one of the cheaper ones?

and lastly, i live in an apartment, and while I think I could drill the holes in the ceiling to mount a ceiling mounted screen, im not 100% sure I want to. If anyone has used one, how much would using a tripod style screen detract from the movie experience? Does the screen have a tendance to move, such as if it's hit with a breeze from a celing fan?

One of my issues is that, I have 9' celings and if I mount a screen flush mount to the ceiling, when it is extended out, the picture may be too high. I want it to be,for the most part, eye level, or somewhere close to where my TV is now, I dont think I want to be looking up at the picture. Is it possible to put chains in the ceiling and then hang the screen from the chains so that the screen sits lower? Or am I thinking of this all wrong? Do most screens, when you start to extend them first show the screen, and then after the screen is extended, there is a lot of extra material to keep rolling the screen down so you can get it in the position you want? Or, once the screen is out, the roll stops?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-18-2014, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Chains are fine.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-18-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 677
SKIP rollup screens. They have waves in them which get really annoying fast in panning shots.

Tensioned roll up if you must have roll up but that adds to cost.

DIY is the cheapest way -- there are lots of threads on that.

Jamestown is a cheaper option. Elite Screens on amazon is an option....Monoprice has screens.

Look for a fixed screen first and foremost.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old 04-18-2014, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
vapex

Going on 4 years to finish a 2 week upgrade...

Reply Screens
Gear in this thread - w1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page