AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Screens (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/)
-   -   Anywhere near Pensacola to demo a Black Diamond and Slate? (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/1528146-anywhere-near-pensacola-demo-black-diamond-slate.html)

holdthepickles 04-19-2014 07:53 PM

Newbie here. Wanting to start a home theatre in a small bedroom (10.5x10 w/4x4 cut out),.Decent amount of ambient light and have white ceiling and trim, medium tan walls and lighter carpet. Will not be able to paint or alter room. Anticipate usage of 70% 2D movies at night and 30% sports/tv in day. Would like ability to view some 3D, but not a priority.

Was thinking about black diamond 1.4, slate 1.2, or firehawk g4 to handlew/the reflections and daytime viewing, but can't find anywhere in Pensacola to view my options. Certainly don't want to expend the $ sight unseen.

Any ideas where I could demo the light absorbing screens? I'm located in Pensacola, Florida and willing to drive 100 miles or so, if need be.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

dan30306 04-21-2014 09:35 AM

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1527345/sony-55es-with-si-black-diamond-1-4-si-slate-stewart-firehawk-g4-and-neve-side-by-side-comparison-and-irony-at-its-finest

Same situation.... you'll never get to demo them all. You can get small sample materials but that seems useless. See link for what I found in comparing screens.

holdthepickles 04-22-2014 03:55 PM

Thanks for the input Dan. Yea, looks like we have similar situations. LOL that the cheap stuff looked similar to the Slate (given your small sample size). I had been leaning that way. That's my greatest fear -- taking the plunge and finding out it's not worth it in my environ.

I know you where only looking at small samples, but did you notice any sparkles on the Black Diamond or Slate? Been reading more and more comments that these screens have an issue in this regard.

Did you consider/sample the DNP Blade? Heard nothing but good comments on the Supernova Blade 08-85.

dan30306 04-22-2014 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdthepickles View Post

Thanks for the input Dan. Yea, looks like we have similar situations. LOL that the cheap stuff looked similar to the Slate (given your small sample size). I had been leaning that way. That's my greatest fear -- taking the plunge and finding out it's not worth it in my environ.

I know you where only looking at small samples, but did you notice any sparkles on the Black Diamond or Slate? Been reading more and more comments that these screens have an issue in this regard.

Did you consider/sample the DNP Blade? Heard nothing but good comments on the Supernova Blade 08-85.

I just ordered a Stewart Firehawk G4 screen. That seems to be the absolute best balance. I went with the Sabre frame to keep the "zero edge" look that I wanted. Didn't notice Black Diamond sparkles but what I did notice is viewing angles were substantial. More or less Black Diamond needs to be viewed at dead on center for it to provide the picture I'd want. What I ordered is slightly (a few hundred) cheaper than the Black Diamond screen but I think in the long run I'll be happier. After A LOT of homework and review- I think the Black Diamond is overrated and has a very specific audience of customers. If you want lights on, while sitting dead center of the screen, and are willing to spend $4K... go black diamond. If you want a high end screen with the ability for some ambient light (read that as willing to close blinds during the day to watch a movie but nothing more) with a really good picture but not "dark " perfect- go Firehawk G4. At night in the dark- Firehawk smokes black diamond without a doubt.

When comparing Slate to Firehawk- Firehawk wins across the board. I'm coming from calibrated plasma's into projection so I'm somewhat picky....

TL5 04-23-2014 06:36 AM

^^^ Wow it's amazing how everyone sees differently. I had samples of Firehawk G4, Slate, Black Diamond 1.4, Slate, and the Stewart Cima Tiburon. Out of the first 4 I much preferred the Slate. Both the G4 & BD 1.4 had too many sparkles & shimmering effect for me. I wound up going with the Cima Tiburon as it had by far the smoothest image that looked good on white & lighter colors. It is not as good as the others when it comes to dealing with ambient light, but it's to be expected as it's a light gray color. To me there's no free lunch with those darker screens - you have to pick what's most important to you.

dan30306 04-23-2014 10:44 AM

I can agree with that. I think its a preference thing more than anything. They are all good screens, all have a specific purpose, and all have a specific environmental tolerance for use. I don't think you can go wrong really if you just follow the baseline of white screen for light controlled, gray if not. The rest of it seems to be more preference and trade off acceptance more than anything.