AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Screens (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/)
-   -   AT Screen Recommendations (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/1528405-screen-recommendations.html)

ISPTraderChris 04-21-2014 02:07 PM

Hey Guys -

Looking for recommendations on acoustically transparent screens with the following parameters:

- 130" to 135" , 16:9, Fixed Frame
- Front row seating is ~ 8' from screen
- About 24" of depth behind screen
- Dedicated theater / light is completely controlled
- Projector is an Epson 5030 with a 14' throw, ceiling mounted flush with top of screen
- Will be used 40% movies, 40% television, 20% gaming
- 3D is not important
- Open to the possibility of a 4K screen if it's worth it
- Budget is < $2k

I'm thinking white @ 1.1 gain would be appropriate - does that sound right? That's what I'm getting from projector central. Want to make sure the AT material I go with isn't visible from the front row if at all possible. Is it worth investing in a 4K AT screen now? I was originally planning to go with the Elite AcousticPro1080P2 but now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if there isn't a noticeably better screen out there that's still within the budget.

Thanks!

-Chris

TSHA222 04-21-2014 08:08 PM

I can wholeheartedly recommend Harkness-Screens.com since I've had a mini-perfed, 16' wide 2.4:1 screen since 2002. They are one of the largest suppliers of commercial cinema screens and well below what many others cost. No, I'm not affiliated with them smile.gif

AV Science Sales 5 04-22-2014 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISPTraderChris View Post

Hey Guys -

Looking for recommendations on acoustically transparent screens with the following parameters:

- 130" to 135" , 16:9, Fixed Frame
- Front row seating is ~ 8' from screen
- About 24" of depth behind screen
- Dedicated theater / light is completely controlled
- Projector is an Epson 5030 with a 14' throw, ceiling mounted flush with top of screen
- Will be used 40% movies, 40% television, 20% gaming
- 3D is not important
- Open to the possibility of a 4K screen if it's worth it
- Budget is < $2k

I'm thinking white @ 1.1 gain would be appropriate - does that sound right? That's what I'm getting from projector central. Want to make sure the AT material I go with isn't visible from the front row if at all possible. Is it worth investing in a 4K AT screen now? I was originally planning to go with the Elite AcousticPro1080P2 but now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if there isn't a noticeably better screen out there that's still within the budget.

Thanks!

-Chris

The microperf screens, should be viewed from farther back than 8' to avoid seeing the microperf. There are some woven AT screen, that can be viewed from 8' without the weave heavily intruding on the image, but none of them are over 1.0 gain. You have to pick your poison. smile.gif If we can help you, give us a call.

ISPTraderChris 04-22-2014 11:41 AM

Thanks, Mike - I'm stuck with the front row viewing distance unfortunately. Are the 4K AT screens harder to see up close? Is the only drawback to the woven screens the gain limitation? I think I'll be pushing something like 19FL with my Epson 5030 per the Projector Central calculator - does that sound sufficient to you? I lose about 2FL going from a 1.1 gain to 1.0.