Recreating IMAX immersion at home - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-24-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had a few questions about IMAX and how one could go about recreating the immersive experience of IMAX at home. I know to truly get the IMAX experience we are talking about a VERY expensive proposition. I am just referring to the screen size, viewing distance, and angles to get something similar to IMAX with respect to immersion. I understand IMAX is much closer to a 16:9 ration screen rather than a 2.35:1 screen. What is the maximum and minimum viewing angle? Not just horizontal but vertical. For example, my room is 14'4" wide by 19' deep by 10' tall. What size 16:9 screen should I be considering if my seat to screen distance is 14' and the screen would go on the 14'4" wall?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-24-2014, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting videos on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOqAl-HEIis
post #3 of 9 Old 04-24-2014, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjay71 View Post

I had a few questions about IMAX and how one could go about recreating the immersive experience of IMAX at home. I know to truly get the IMAX experience we are talking about a VERY expensive proposition. I am just referring to the screen size, viewing distance, and angles to get something similar to IMAX with respect to immersion. I understand IMAX is much closer to a 16:9 ration screen rather than a 2.35:1 screen. What is the maximum and minimum viewing angle? Not just horizontal but vertical. For example, my room is 14'4" wide by 19' deep by 10' tall. What size 16:9 screen should I be considering if my seat to screen distance is 14' and the screen would go on the 14'4" wall?

Thanks!

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I would like a IMAX looking front screen in my hometheater. I currently have a 10'5 wide 235.1 Seymour center stage screen and love it, however I want to go 12' wide. I can't decide if I should go with a 16x9 aspect ratio for that huge look in my room (constant) width, or stay in the 235.1 ratio at a 12'width. Both would increase the screen height. Anyone with thoughts please chime in.smile.gif

drjay71,
Thanks for posting this as I was about to start a thread and may as we'll learn about it here on your thread.biggrin.gif
I sit 14'5" back from my current screen at the main listening position, when I change to the 12' width screen I will not change that distance it will remain.
On your setup you can go 12' wide with a16x9 ratio, you got the ceiling height and width for it.
Make sure you take into account how close you sit the size may overwhelm viewers.rolleyes.gif

PeterV
post #4 of 9 Old 04-24-2014, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonleepenn View Post

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I would like a IMAX looking front screen in my hometheater. I currently have a 10'5 wide 235.1 Seymour center stage screen and love it, however I want to go 12' wide. I can't decide if I should go with a 16x9 aspect ratio for that huge look in my room (constant) width, or stay in the 235.1 ratio at a 12'width. Both would increase the screen height. Anyone with thoughts please chime in.smile.gif

drjay71,
Thanks for posting this as I was about to start a thread and may as we'll learn about it here on your thread.biggrin.gif
I sit 14'5" back from my current screen at the main listening position, when I change to the 12' width screen I will not change that distance it will remain.
On your setup you can go 12' wide with a16x9 ratio, you got the ceiling height and width for it.
Make sure you take into account how close you sit the size may overwhelm viewers.rolleyes.gif

PeterV

That is the one thing I would worry about if I went this route. I don't want to overwhelm viewers especially when it comes to vertical viewing angle as this can be quite fatiguing and even nauseating. There is a fine line between full immersion and being overwhelmed
post #5 of 9 Old 04-24-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:

Interesting videos on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOqAl-HEIis

It's kind of funny: those videos start off with a goal of replicating the IMAX experience via viewing angles etc, and then it's "Naaah, let's not really" and ends up with a regular ol' home theater approach for the screen/viewing distance.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-24-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:

That is the one thing I would worry about if I went this route. I don't want to overwhelm viewers especially when it comes to vertical viewing angle as this can be quite fatiguing and even nauseating. There is a fine line between full immersion and being overwhelmed

That's one benefit I've found of going with a Variable Size Image system (multiple masking). Images can be made IMAX-like for the appropriate content, and dialed back for other stuff, or depending on the viewer's aptitude.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-24-2014, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
This is my screen/front end.

PeterV
post #8 of 9 Old 04-25-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

It's kind of funny: those videos start off with a goal of replicating the IMAX experience via viewing angles etc, and then it's "Naaah, let's not really" and ends up with a regular ol' home theater approach for the screen/viewing distance.

I agree. My screen is a curved scope screen with 54 degree viewing angle. I use high output (DIY) speakers for the front three and actual JBL Pro surround speakers. Use multiple subs and a lot of amplification, but I don't try to call my system an IMAX system.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-11-2014, 08:17 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Thanks!

Great questions! I love going to see IMAX movies be it digital or film.

As to your question:

1. IMAX field of view should be 60' to 120' lateral field of view and 40' to 80' vertical field of view. This would be for a real, purpose built IMAX venue. In other words, the screen image should fit your peripheral field of vision.

2. You sound system needs to have a decent power to each channel. Anything above 100W for a small room would work.

3. Make sure you are running 5.1

4. Reveb time if you are into that type of thing must be between .5 - .7 sec.

5. Low frequency should be set between 20-80 Hz

6. Rear speaker placement should be set up like an IMAX theatre, you should use dipole speakers if you can. The speakers should hung at the rear corner of the room and pointed down.

That is about it. Most important and this is documented in IMAX technical documents is the viewing angles and your relation to the screen.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page