AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Screens (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/)
-   -   Screen size question ... 120" or 135" (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/23-screens/1529418-screen-size-question-120-135-a.html)

Skrill 04-28-2014 01:11 PM

I am trying to decide on screen size for my new dedicated home theater. I had originally planned on 120" all long, but I just want to confirm it is the right choice.

The room's front (screen) wall is 19' wide (plenty of width) and 103" tall (floor to ceiling). The 120" screen is 66" tall (including frame) -- and the 135" is 74" tall (including frame). Screen material will Visual Apex fixed frame screen (1.1 gain white).

Here are the other particulars. I have total light control -- and no windows. The room is 23' long -- and the front row seating position is about 13.5' from the screen wall. Second row is about 18' from screen wall and on a 16" riser. I figure I need to keep the screen off the floor by at least 25" to make sure that I can have space for my center channel and stand. PJ will be the Sony VPL-HW55ES - so I have a lot of lumens.

The various home theater calculator's would seem to say that 120" give the optimum view angle and distance in the front row seating. Of course, it is tantalizing to get a bigger screen.

What do the screen experts think?

walterappleby 04-28-2014 01:40 PM

Project on the wall or a sheet or something white and live with a certain size for a week or more. Then try another size for a week or so. Then make your decision.

old corps 04-29-2014 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterappleby View Post

Project on the wall or a sheet or something white and live with a certain size for a week or more. Then try another size for a week or so. Then make your decision.

+1

That's what I did.wink.gif

Ed

ben38 04-29-2014 05:53 PM

Not a screen expert by any stretch. But it does seem like you have enough room to squeeze a 135 in there.

Skrill 04-29-2014 06:10 PM

Thanks for the input -- I have no patience, and really want to just go straight to a screen to get the max out of the system. The main thing I am concerned with is keeping the screen high enough that it clears the center channel -- but not so high that everyone cranes their necks to see the whole picture.

I am starting to sell myself on the 135"

nuclearcowboy 05-18-2014 05:27 PM

I have almost exactly the same setup - currently building a HT that is 20' wide, 24' long. I will have two rows of seats (4 per row) planned, one at 14' and the other on a 12" riser at 19'. I am definitely going with a 2:35 aspect ratio screen for two reasons - first, we will mainly use the HT for late release blue ray movie watching with minimal use for anything else; second, based on installing a 138" diagonal screen, a 16:9 screen will challenge my back row viewers with the lower screen area. I want a true cinema type screen, and it will also be a curved screen to minimize pin- cushioning. My front wall area is 19' wide and only 8' floor to ceiling due to extensive ceiling design work.

If you are really a movie buff like me, you might want to consider a 2:35 and/or curved screen.

Craig Peer 05-19-2014 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearcowboy View Post

I have almost exactly the same setup - currently building a HT that is 20' wide, 24' long. I will have two rows of seats (4 per row) planned, one at 14' and the other on a 12" riser at 19'. I am definitely going with a 2:35 aspect ratio screen for two reasons - first, we will mainly use the HT for late release blue ray movie watching with minimal use for anything else; second, based on installing a 138" diagonal screen, a 16:9 screen will challenge my back row viewers with the lower screen area. I want a true cinema type screen, and it will also be a curved screen to minimize pin- cushioning. My front wall area is 19' wide and only 8' floor to ceiling due to extensive ceiling design work.

If you are really a movie buff like me, you might want to consider a 2:35 and/or curved screen.

I assume you are using an anamorphic lens, otherwise pincushion won't be a problem. And if not using an anamorphic lens, a projector with power zoom and focus will be very handy !

nuclearcowboy 05-19-2014 05:53 PM

I will not be using an anamorphic lens due to cost, but will be using an Epson 5030UB projector, which has good zoom and tilt features. The only drawback here is the zoom features cannot be preset and remotely controlled, so if I need to change from a cinematic 2:35 mode to a 16:9 or 4:3 mode, I will have to manually adjust the projector. However, I really like the other specs on this machine. FYI, the projector will be mounted at ~20-21' from a curved 2:35 138" diagonal screen.