Put center channel speaker behind regular screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-08-2014, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a 120" elite screen. It's not acoustically transparent. How bad would it be to put my center channel speaker behind the screen? I've run out of space to put it in front of the screen. Or should I mount it on the ceiling and have it face downward toward the seats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Only if If you want everything to sound like the adults on the Peanuts biggrin.gif
Sorry this would be a very bad idea.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-10-2014, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It'll be bad… the sound will change to the point where you'll notice a major disconnect between L/R and center. I would highly recommend getting an AT screen (or my not just the screen material from Elite?!)

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
post #4 of 11 Old 05-15-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I have my center channel speaker mounted right above my screens, angling downwards. I works fine. You might try that.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #5 of 11 Old 05-17-2014, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

I tried the center channel speaker behind the screen and it sounds muffled. Will have to mount it above the screen.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-18-2014, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What kind of screen do you have? Maybe you can replace the material with AT material instead? Would be much better than mounting the center too high and angle it down...

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
post #7 of 11 Old 05-19-2014, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

I have my center channel speaker mounted right above my screens, angling downwards. I works fine. You might try that.
What is the best mounting solution to hang a center channel speaker from the ceiling? Because the screen is at a 45' angle in a corner, I don't have a wall directly behind the screen to mount a shelf on.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-19-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 257
That is an interesting problem. My center channel speaker uses a wall mount that screws to the speaker. You might need a corner shelf, or bridge the corner with a piece of lumber, finished to match the screen frame ( black velvet? ).

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #9 of 11 Old 05-19-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post

What is the best mounting solution to hang a center channel speaker from the ceiling? Because the screen is at a 45' angle in a corner, I don't have a wall directly behind the screen to mount a shelf on.

What size speaker? Several options:

1. use a flat panel articulating arm mount.
2. If the ceiling is close, you can use a speaker mount, off of the ceiling.
3. Bridge the corner with blocking. Place blocking flush with top of the screen. Build angled shelf on top of blocking. Place speaker on shelf. You could also hang the screen off of this blocking.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-19-2014, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I mounted a B&W CM Centre 2 over a fire place. That is a huge center (and heavy) so I used an old school tube TV wall mount. Worked well and it held the weight. They come with straps so you can use that to secure the speaker on the stand if you need to point it downward. Plus, it was cheap for the mount.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-20-2014, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I just mounted a Da-Lite electric screen over a center channel and my front channels, I custom ordered and added an acoustic perforated drop to clear the speakers,  I can partially raise the screen so the screen covers the speakers, it makes a huge difference and the sound is not at all clear even if turned up.  They do make a perforated screen but I would think you would then lose picture quality. I would try the speaker on the ceiling as well as below the screen if possible to see the difference. You could always go to a high quality small speaker like a Bose, I have used a Bose 5.1 system in the past all ceiling mounted and they are pretty amazing for being so small and the wife likes that they are so small so not very noticeable., Consumer Reports rates a small Samsung speaker higher than the Bose, but it is all in the ear of listener.. 

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page