Carada versus Screen Innovations 1.3/1.4 gain screens - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 6 Old 05-20-2014, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I tried tacking this to an old thread but got no response. I'll try a new thread!

I'm comparing Carada and Screen Innovations. I can get the SI screen from a local A/V dealer, from whom I am getting a lot of other gear for my theater.

I'd be willing to spend a couple hundred more for about the same thing with the local dealer to get local support.

I'm considering:

-Carada BW criterion 110" 16:9 screen (1.4 gain but really 1.1 to 1.2 from what most say) - $901
-Screen Innovations Performance 16:9 Solar 4K 1.3 gain ($1299 + tax)
-Screen Innovations 16:9 Pure 4K 1.3 gain (haven't priced - I think this is wayyy out of my price range but I'm not sure- think it only comes with their zero edge frames)

At this point if they were the same performance, I'd pick Carada. I won't pay $400 more to get it locally.

How about the Carada Criterion frame versus the SI Performance frame? How do they compare?

Electrical engineer by education. Currently a system engineer. I like home automation, theaters, and blinking lights.
Someday it'll be more of an actual hobby - if my employer would ever let me go home!
"The Escape Pod" - My First Theater Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-21-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Have you gotten screen samples of those to compare ?

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #3 of 6 Old 05-22-2014, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Have you gotten screen samples of those to compare ?

I haven't... I plan to if necessary - but while screen samples are great, and that's how I'll make my final decision, I want to know what other people have observed as well, IF they have observed both.

Electrical engineer by education. Currently a system engineer. I like home automation, theaters, and blinking lights.
Someday it'll be more of an actual hobby - if my employer would ever let me go home!
"The Escape Pod" - My First Theater Build
post #4 of 6 Unread 07-06-2014, 01:59 PM

Liked: 10
I find myself asking the same question (in reference to the Carada and SI screens). I'm new to front projectors, have a decent sized light-controller room (25x15), and have no need for AT. Plan on using a Sony HW40ES projector.

I've been reading on screens for a week, and find it tough to make heads or tails of whether I should buy a $500 screen, or a $2500 screen. The Carada and SI seem to be in the middle...

Very tough decision to make. Let me know if you've been swayed one way or the other...
post #5 of 6 Unread 07-26-2014, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw886 View Post
I find myself asking the same question (in reference to the Carada and SI screens). I'm new to front projectors, have a decent sized light-controller room (25x15), and have no need for AT. Plan on using a Sony HW40ES projector.

I've been reading on screens for a week, and find it tough to make heads or tails of whether I should buy a $500 screen, or a $2500 screen. The Carada and SI seem to be in the middle...

Very tough decision to make. Let me know if you've been swayed one way or the other...

Have any of you made decisions on your screen? I picked up the same Sony projector with the recent sale and went with a white Silver Ticket screen from Amazon. While for the price I'm sure it's great and the frame is quite nice, the screen does seem to have more texture than I'd like. Do screens like the Carada or SI have a smoother fabric, or what makes them superior and worth 5x the price?

post #6 of 6 Unread 07-27-2014, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Tcramer I think with a projector as nice as your New sony HW40 I would get a Carada screen. I have had mind for 9 years now and it is perfect still. It shows no grain and just look great. I have seen those Silver Ticket screens also 'and they are a decent screen for that price level. I used the Carada Brillant white at 110 in. I been tring to sell it locally to buy a Carada 128in 2.35 screen, A high Quality Projector like the HW40 deserves a high quality screen IMHO.
Reply Screens