Carada versus Screen Innovations 1.3/1.4 gain screens - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By DavidHir
  • 1 Post By enricoclaudio
  • 1 Post By Ellebob

post #1 of 15 Old 05-20-2014, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I tried tacking this to an old thread but got no response. I'll try a new thread!

I'm comparing Carada and Screen Innovations. I can get the SI screen from a local A/V dealer, from whom I am getting a lot of other gear for my theater.

I'd be willing to spend a couple hundred more for about the same thing with the local dealer to get local support.

I'm considering:

-Carada BW criterion 110" 16:9 screen (1.4 gain but really 1.1 to 1.2 from what most say) - $901
-Screen Innovations Performance 16:9 Solar 4K 1.3 gain ($1299 + tax)
-Screen Innovations 16:9 Pure 4K 1.3 gain (haven't priced - I think this is wayyy out of my price range but I'm not sure- think it only comes with their zero edge frames)

At this point if they were the same performance, I'd pick Carada. I won't pay $400 more to get it locally.

How about the Carada Criterion frame versus the SI Performance frame? How do they compare?

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
Love the hobby, but always have to remember to keep family first!
"The Escape Pod" - First Theater Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-21-2014, 01:55 PM
Home Theater Lover

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2666 Post(s)
Liked: 2458
Have you gotten screen samples of those to compare ?

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
post #3 of 15 Old 05-22-2014, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

Have you gotten screen samples of those to compare ?

I haven't... I plan to if necessary - but while screen samples are great, and that's how I'll make my final decision, I want to know what other people have observed as well, IF they have observed both.

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
post #4 of 15 Old 07-06-2014, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I find myself asking the same question (in reference to the Carada and SI screens). I'm new to front projectors, have a decent sized light-controller room (25x15), and have no need for AT. Plan on using a Sony HW40ES projector.

I've been reading on screens for a week, and find it tough to make heads or tails of whether I should buy a $500 screen, or a $2500 screen. The Carada and SI seem to be in the middle...

Very tough decision to make. Let me know if you've been swayed one way or the other...
post #5 of 15 Old 07-26-2014, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw886 View Post
I find myself asking the same question (in reference to the Carada and SI screens). I'm new to front projectors, have a decent sized light-controller room (25x15), and have no need for AT. Plan on using a Sony HW40ES projector.

I've been reading on screens for a week, and find it tough to make heads or tails of whether I should buy a $500 screen, or a $2500 screen. The Carada and SI seem to be in the middle...

Very tough decision to make. Let me know if you've been swayed one way or the other...

Have any of you made decisions on your screen? I picked up the same Sony projector with the recent sale and went with a white Silver Ticket screen from Amazon. While for the price I'm sure it's great and the frame is quite nice, the screen does seem to have more texture than I'd like. Do screens like the Carada or SI have a smoother fabric, or what makes them superior and worth 5x the price?

JVC DLA-RS600
Denon X4300H
2x Rythmik FV15HP
Energy Veritas Fronts and Surrounds
4x RSL C34E for Atmos
post #6 of 15 Old 07-27-2014, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Tcramer I think with a projector as nice as your New sony HW40 I would get a Carada screen. I have had mind for 9 years now and it is perfect still. It shows no grain and just look great. I have seen those Silver Ticket screens also 'and they are a decent screen for that price level. I used the Carada Brillant white at 110 in. I been tring to sell it locally to buy a Carada 128in 2.35 screen, A high Quality Projector like the HW40 deserves a high quality screen IMHO.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-30-2016, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Okay - I'm back. I am resurrecting my thread as I'm trying to decide still. I'll actually be buying in the next week or so!

I have samples of the SI pure white 1.3, and the Carada CCW and BW.

I didn't like the BW as much. It had this yellow cast (some say it pushes red) in a lot of shots compared to the CCW and the Pure White. I guess calibration could help but I'd rather not have to.

BUT - SI Pure White 1.3 is pricey (~$2000 for 110"). So I am wondering about their Solar HD/4K 1.3 instead. That's a better price (~$1300).

Has anyone compared Carada CCW and SI Solar 1.3? Or SI Pure White 1.3 and SI Solar 1.3?

And just for kicks - anyone compared SI Solar 1.3, SI Pure White 1.3, and Stewart Studiotek 130 1.3 gain?

But bottom line - I'm really comparing SI Solar 1.3 and Carada CCW. I don't like sparkle either...

post #8 of 15 Old 01-30-2016, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
I highly recommend you get your projector calibrated to whichever screen you get. It's well worth it! Chad B is a great choice for a calibrator.

The Carada CCW will have fewer sparklies than any screen with gain (SI Solar 1.3). The CCW is a unity gain screen. I have a sample of it and compared to the ST100 (which I own), the ST130, Da-Lite 1.1 and 0.9, and the Carada BW.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-30-2016, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I highly recommend you get your projector calibrated to whichever screen you get. It's well worth it! Chad B is a great choice for a calibrator.

The Carada CCW will have fewer sparklies than any screen with gain (SI Solar 1.3). The CCW is a unity gain screen. I have a sample of it and compared to the ST100 (which I own), the ST130, Da-Lite 1.1 and 0.9, and the Carada BW.
Thanks a million for replying. Sounds like you tried all those and went with the ST100? What swayed you to the ST100 over the other materials?

post #10 of 15 Old 01-31-2016, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post
Thanks a million for replying. Sounds like you tried all those and went with the ST100? What swayed you to the ST100 over the other materials?
The ST100 was the cleanest in terms of no sparklies although the Carada Classic Cinema White was very close in that regard. However, the ST100 is a notch brighter and color just comes off the screen better than the Carada CCW - this combination is what swayed me. I really feel like the ST100 is the best 1.0 gain screen although I have not seen the Elite but the CCW was rated above the Elite in that screen report. Now, if price if a concern, the Carada CCW is a great value and would have likely been my second choice. I found the Carada Brilliant White had a bit more sparklies although not bad - similar to the Da-Lite HD Pro 0.9.

I didn't have a sample of the ST130 when I owned the HD Pro 1.1, but based on memory they seemed fairly similar with the edge going to the ST130. However, I would have to see them side by side to be definitive. But either of these screens while being significantly brighter also give off significantly more sparklies than the ones mentioned above.
danielrg likes this.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-31-2016, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
ST100 and CCW are very similar screen materials in terms of color accuracy and neutrality. According to Jeff Meier from Accucal those two are the best low gain screen materials. I have a Carada Criterion CCW screen paired with a HW40ES and couldn't be happier with my screen choice.

http://www.accucalhd.com/wp-content/...een_report.pdf
danielrg likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-03-2016, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

I put the Carada CCW up next to a Stewart Studiotek 130 screen today - well the salesman held if for me, and stared a lot. The colors were close enough that neither of us could tell any color balance differences for a few types of material. The only difference was the CCW wasn't as bright.

ST130 - I couldn't see any sparkles until I was 4-5 feet from it. Awesome screen, I can see why its the industry reference.

That said, the CCW looked good next to it except for the gain (which I'd expect). So I think that recommends the CCW, expecially for the price! They didn't have ST100 on display.

I also put my sample of the Screen Innovations Pure White 1.3 up against the ST130. The ST130 was actually a little brighter, and it was obvious the Pure White had a bluish cast to the color. It wasn't as color neutral as ST130 or CCW, and I didn't like the coolness of its image as much. As for smoothness and uniformity, brightness and low sparkle, the Pure White 1.3 gain still looked very good in that regard.

post #13 of 15 Old 02-04-2016, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 422
One thing I learned over the years, is if a sample looks a little better or worse than the differences are much bigger if you compare whole screens. What looks like a minor difference with a sample is a much larger difference with the whole picture.
Don Stewart likes this.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-04-2016, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 5028 Post(s)
Liked: 3099
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
One thing I learned over the years, is if a sample looks a little better or worse than the differences are much bigger if you compare whole screens. What looks like a minor difference with a sample is a much larger difference with the whole picture.
I definitely agree. That is what makes it hard to evaluate screens using small samples.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #15 of 15 Old 02-08-2016, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I found samples good to evaluate for brightness differences and sparklies.

Just keep in mind that in most set-ups, for a 1.0 gain screen to work for you, you need a dark room with darker colors. As noted, the ST130 has a lot of brightness and can really compensate in set-ups with less than dark caves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page