2Likes
  • 1 Post By glenn4dde
  • 1 Post By Craig Peer

post #1 of 13 Old 05-24-2014, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just recently got a new 106" Dragonfly Acoustic Weave screen installed. Instantly I began seeing vertical lines on the screen. They don't appear when the image is viewed on a white board, only on the screen. Is this to be expected with acoustically transparent screens? The lines are slightly off centered. You'll notice in the pic that the iCloud Photos icon is in the middle of the screen and the lines appear slightly to the right. Anyone ever seen this? Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-25-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Do you see these with the lights up and projector off ?

My HT

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #3 of 13 Old 05-25-2014, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

No, the lines are not noticeable without the projector. But I have held up a white board on the screen and the lines don't appear on the board.
post #4 of 13 Old 05-25-2014, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I remember a few years ago a friend of mine had exactly the same problem. For some odd reason, my friend's projector (an Optoma) was reacting poorly to the weave of his AT screen. He quickly learned that he needed an AT screen with a weave that would work well with his projector. After getting and trying many screen samples, he eventually found one he was satisfied with. (I believe it was a Seymour screen if memory serves.)

I normally don't put much stock in screen samples, but in the case of AT screens, I think screen samples are an essential step in choosing a screen that will work with your projector.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-26-2014, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You can try a few things - first is slightly defocus the projector and see if it goes away. Most likely the pixels in the imaging device are aligning with the holes in the screen and causing the effect.
The next thing to try is tilt the projector slightly to see if the lines go away. If they do, that tells you, you may need a screen with holes at a diagonal.
Third try some screen samples from other manufactures. I like the Falcon Screens material myself and plan to replace my Sterwart Microperf with it.
Good luck.

Would I have stayed happy not knowing how good it could be? 

My theater in print http://www.hometheater.com/writer/26443

Mocha Theater Construction thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1527883/mocha-theater-construction 

post #6 of 13 Old 05-27-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn4dde View Post

I just recently got a new 106" Dragonfly Acoustic Weave screen installed. Instantly I began seeing vertical lines on the screen. They don't appear when the image is viewed on a white board, only on the screen. Is this to be expected with acoustically transparent screens? The lines are slightly off centered. You'll notice in the pic that the iCloud Photos icon is in the middle of the screen and the lines appear slightly to the right. Anyone ever seen this? Any ideas?

Do the lines match up with the attachment points of the fabric? If the tension on a woven screen is a lot tighter at attachment points along the frame, then you have lines that show up with bright scenes.

Added
Never mind. You are talking a bunch of vertical lines. Did not see what you were talking about at first. Not sure, what is causing that problem.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-07-2014, 11:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
If the lines disappear when you put a white piece of paper on the screen, it's moire. Perfectly focus the projector and in a white field look for uniformity, or if you are having moire it's stripes that change shape when you zoom to different sizes.

We replace a lot of Dragonfly and Elite screens because of their poorly engineered materials.

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
Seymour-Screen Excellence
post #8 of 13 Old 06-08-2014, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the input. I noticed that slightly defocusing the projector helps to make the lines go away. But that's not the answer. My AV company is working with Dragonfly to see what can be done.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-21-2014, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Just a quick update on this. The vendor sent out a brand new screen at no cost...and.....drumroll.....no change at all. I was disappointed to say the least. I will be returning this screen for a refund and purchasing something else that will hopefully be compatible with my Epson 3020.

In case anyone is wondering, here are the steps that I took to try to fix it - all to no avail.

Moved projector forward
Moved projector to the left or right and tried adjusting the keystone
Replaced the screen with another from the same vendor
I built a temporary screen out of blackout fabric, for testing, and there were no lines at all
I have played with the zoom and tried zooming out to the point where there was almost 6 inches of overrun image on the border
I have adjusted the focal settings
I have changed the ECO power settings on the projector
I have changed the brightness on the projector, along with different “modes”
…and many other things that I can’t remember off of the top of my head

Thanks again for the input.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-02-2014, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

After doing everything in my power to fix my Dragonfly screen, I finally came to the realization that I simply needed to go another route. I want to give a big thanks to Chris at Seymour AV for chiming in. I ended up going with a Seymour screen and I installed yesterday and it's flawless! It even appears to be brighter and there is no visible pattern when sitting 9 feet away. Not to mention, I think it's accoustically better too. After installing the Seymour screen, I noticed the white outlines from speakers. I hit them with some black tape and voila! Perfection.

Thanks to Seymour for a great product.

I will say it's a whole lot lighter and the product itself (including wall mounts) seemed "less heavy duty", but in the end, the screen simply needs to hang on the wall. It's not like I'm playing catch with it. So I don't care if my screen weighs 30 pounds or 60 pounds. As long as it looks good and meets my needs, I'm happy. Right now, I'm happy. Thanks!
chriscmore likes this.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-02-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks for the follow up.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-06-2014, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
yeah, It even appears to be brighter and there is no visible pattern when sitting 9 feet away. Not to mention, I think it's accoustically better too. After installing the Seymour screen, I noticed the white outlines from speakers.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-07-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn4dde View Post
After doing everything in my power to fix my Dragonfly screen, I finally came to the realization that I simply needed to go another route. I want to give a big thanks to Chris at Seymour AV for chiming in. I ended up going with a Seymour screen and I installed yesterday and it's flawless! It even appears to be brighter and there is no visible pattern when sitting 9 feet away. Not to mention, I think it's accoustically better too. After installing the Seymour screen, I noticed the white outlines from speakers. I hit them with some black tape and voila! Perfection.

Thanks to Seymour for a great product.

I will say it's a whole lot lighter and the product itself (including wall mounts) seemed "less heavy duty", but in the end, the screen simply needs to hang on the wall. It's not like I'm playing catch with it. So I don't care if my screen weighs 30 pounds or 60 pounds. As long as it looks good and meets my needs, I'm happy. Right now, I'm happy. Thanks!

It pays to go with a quality screen. And Seymour makes a quality screen !
chriscmore likes this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page