5Likes
  • 4 Post By davidahn
  • 1 Post By davidahn

post #1 of 9 Old 06-01-2014, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a drop down screen. I would like it tensioned as well.

This will be in the living room and i don't think the MRS would like to see it all the time. I plan on having it drop down over a painting of some sort. There are windows on all sides but the wall its being projected on. I Ideally want it installed above the fire place.

I couldn't find the cinegrey 5d in a drop down. Are there others out there that are? I would like to stay below $3000 and the cheaper the better but if there is something that is $4000 and my only options i'm open to that as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-02-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 204
The Stewart Firehawk or the S.I. Black Diamond are the go to screens - here are some reviews ( the Firehawk reviewed is the G3 ) -

http://www.projectorreviews.com/screen-innovations/si-black-diamond-1-4-fixed-screen-image-properties/#black-diamond-ii-1-4-screen-vs-firehawk-g3-screen

I owned a Firehawk G3 for 5 years - it's a good screen ( as is the new G4 ). There is also the S.I. Slate version - very close to the Firehawk. Get some screen samples.

Give us a call for a price quote if you would like. We can also send you Stewart screen samples ( contact Screen Innovations direct for samples of their material ). smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #3 of 9 Old 06-17-2014, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Ridiculously Expensive

Am I the only one here that thinks $2700-5000 for a projection screen is ridiculous? Or that the CHEAPEST Black Diamond screen is more expensive than 90% of all current projectors except for Sony's 4K and JVC's high end projectors? Or that you can buy multiple models of 80" LCD flat panel TVs with much better blacks for less than the price of just the 100" Black Diamond screen, never mind the cost of the projector?

Is there anyone else out there with any experience at all with competing products? Maybe the "Zebra" screen, or any paints with similar performance?
ben38, Sonyad, kevinlg and 1 others like this.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-17-2014, 10:54 PM

Ambient Visionaire, Anyone?

Thanks to a post by someone on another thread (Firehawk vs. Elite CineGray 5D), I read this review comparing a whole MESS of screen materials. http://www.accucalhd.com/documents/a...een_report.pdf In the ambient light rejecting section, the CineGray did well, better than the Firehawk, but the "best in class" is the Ambient Visionaire from Seymour Screen. Has anyone tried the Ambient Visionaire, either the 1.3 or 2.1 gain version?

David
ben38 likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-19-2014, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Seymour is selling a new screen called 'Matinee Silver'. It's an ambient light rejecting screen with a 2.0 gain. Maybe that's the Ambient Visionaire with a new name?
Anyway, you can get the 115 inch 16:9 screen for 854 dollars.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-19-2014, 07:58 PM

Silver Matinee & Black Matinee

Ben, thanks for the pointer on Matinee Silver! Sounds exciting with 2.0 gain, and the upcoming Matinee Black sounds even better for blacks as long as you have a nice bright projector, and not too shabby on gain: 1.4. 87% ambient light rejection. And according to the review I read (AccuCal), while Black Diamond falls well shy of their gain claims, Seymour was above their claimed gain.

Maybe I was looking at an older site, seymourscreenexcellence.com. seymourav.com doesn't even mention Ambient Visionaire. I inquired about pricing, they apparently still sell Ambient Visionaire, but pricing is in line with Black Diamond pricing. Ouch!

So now I'm excited again about the Matinee Black product. Stay tuned, guys.

David
post #7 of 9 Old 06-20-2014, 12:44 AM

Sorry Hasema. you're looking for a drop down screen. The Seymour screen is a fixed frame. My Bad.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-20-2014, 12:49 AM

Don't know how good Elunevision's screens are, Hasema. But the price is right. There's a big thread on Elunevision screens in this forum.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-26-2014, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeah, Unfortunately the wife wouldn't want the screen in view the whole time being it is in our Living room. I will take a look at the Elunevision.

Does the tab tensioned come in a grey?

Last edited by hasema; 06-26-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page