AVS Forum banner

Pics of my new Zebra black projector screen

18K views 61 replies 22 participants last post by  scharla1987 
#1 ·

My new Zebra black projector screen arrived this morning. I haven't had a chance to finish installing my home theater equipment yet but I thought I'd quickly mount the new screen and share some pics. 

I looked at a number of the ambient light rejecting screens but they were mostly out of my price range. I hadn't heard of Zebra screens before but they looked good on Youtube so I decided to take a chance. I use my Epson 3010 in my living room and I wanted something that would work with a little ambient light. We use the projector as our TV and my girlfriend doesn't like it when I keep the room dark all of the time. 

My first impressions out of the box was that it looked as advertised. It came rolled up and the screen looks black.

It was fairly easy to mount on the wall. My girlfriend helped me. It came with gloves to stop you getting finger prints on it or scratching it. Once on the wall, it looks as I expected it to.

Before I made the decision to buy it, I was sent some pics from other customers. One guy had mounted his on a sheet of wood (or maybe plexiglass?) and installed an LED kit at the back. It looked just like the Black Diamond Zero edge in his pics. I might have a go at that too.

There is a fair amount of light in my living room. My first impressions when I turned on my projector, was that the image quality was impressive, considering the amount of light. I had set my expectations low and was prepared to be disappointed. Normally when you buy the least expensive option, you find out why it was so cheap as soon as you start using it.

I tested it with moderate daylight first and It worked better than I had hoped for. It was very flat-screen-like.

The screen was set to around 100" as I haven't mounted my projector yet,so that was the biggest I could get from my coffee table. The image with my Epson 3010 was close to how it looked at night with the lights off and at least as good if not better than the clips of some other black screens that I saw on Youtube. The one I was most skeptical of was the claim that it was possible to get good blacks in a bright room with this screen. Again I was pleasantly surprised.

The first pic here is taken with just moderate daylight. 

My thought was that I was going too easy on the screen after this (because of my low expectations). I then turned on the floor lamp too. 

I am no expert on this stuff but I know what I see. The floor lamp is bright and less than 1 foot from the screen, yet the space scene still looks black. The pics actually don't do it justice. It looks better when you see it live. Just to be sure, I moved the image up so some of it was on the white wall.

I turned off the lamp for this pic because with it on, it was not possible to see an image on the white wall at all. It isn't surprising that a black screen looks better than white paint. When everything it set up, I will do the same pic compared to my old gray screen. For now though, I am feeling a little smug with my purchase. 

The black bars was the test I was waiting for. My projector is meant to have good blacks for one in it's price range but the black bars on widescreen movies were barely visible on my gray screen, even at night. 

I read that no screen can improve the contrast, just the perceived contrast. I don't really know what that means but in my uneducated opinion, this screen gives me a big improvement over my old screen. 

With a little sunlight in the room, the colors have a nice amount of pop. The detail on the trees in this pic is really sharp. 

Obviously I have just got my Zebra screen and these are just my first impressions. I will upload some better pics once I have finished my living room. I am new to the forum too and I have only a basic knowledge of home theater products, so these aren't exactly the views of an expert. I upgraded to this screen from an ebay gray screen. That should give you an idea of my level of experience. Still, I know what a black should look like and I can appreciate how more contrast makes the image look nicer!

See less See more
#35 ·
Just to give some updates: I bought this Zebra screen last Wednesday and it'll take about 2-3 weeks to deliver here in Brazil. Robert Hart seems very attentive.
I also plan installing an Ambilight-like kit (standalone with Raspberry Pi) behind the screen. Despite the screen having only about 100" in 16:9 format (max size available in this aspect ratio), it'll seem larger because of Ambilight, likely a 115" screen.
I'll post some photos as soon as it's installed.

#40 ·
When Robert posted on HTS, he was quickly berated for his efforts by the Moderators themselves. (...something along the order of "It's been tried before, it's not possible, so why are you bothering us....") Taken aback, he responded to such biased comments, asking simply why they would act so overtly against his ideas and be allowed to insult his efforts, and he was immediately banned by the very person doing the berating. Not so strangely enough, it was that self same person who was banned for life from AVS for insulting the AVS Hierarchy. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Intolerance motivated by the Moderators' self imposed aggrandizement, a wholesale lack of support for a new member's ideas, and a double standard that protects the offender if he is a Moderator, and punishes the respondent should he dare question "why" is the reason Robert wound up on AVS.

Robert found a willing audience here on the DIY Screen Forum, and enough support to encourage his efforts. Yes, it's a shame that his efforts could not have produced a application that could easily be "DIY' selfed", but in the end it's the support AVS Community support that did go a long way toward making Robert's effort successful.

This sort of thing has happened before. Several AVS Members got started in Business by working through their ideas on Forum. SMX Screens is a prime example. Of course there exists a fine dividing line between starting out with DIY intentions and crossing over to using the Forum to establish & promote an idea intended to be sold.. Not that it doesn't happen almost continually though. Sometimes, depending upon the subject and individual, it gets overlooked...at other times the intent is so obviously promotional immediate action is taken.

In Robert's case, over the course of several emails I let him know of and be aware of the above dangers well in advance of his final decision to go commercial. It was becoming very obvious the his idea was not going to become a true "DIY" reality and so being, he did the right thing and pulled out of active Forum posting. As such, due credit and a good degree of confidence can be attached to both him and his efforts.

But....the DIY effort toward such a screen has not died! The research and efforts go on in Robert's (New Design) Thread by others determined to do something similar for less expense. Will they succeed? They very well might. :cool:

#42 ·
Hey guys I'm a new member but a long time reader of this forum. I just thought I'd sign up to share a bit of info, unethical as it may be I think a black screen should be something that a diyer should be able to slap together without paying a ton of money. I found the zebra screen on ebay for sale the seller was roberthart******. I did some digging thru his feedback and found he had purchased "Window Tint Film 2 PLY Professional Roll 60"x50ft Tinting 50% VLT" item # 181324915933. I think that it should be safe to say that since it is being bought in bulk and so big, that this isn't for product testing, it is most likely being used to create the screens. Like I said unethical or not there it is for those of you brilliant diyers who love to tinker and don't have wives to stop you from doing so:).

#45 ·
That's exactly what I remember. I believe he reached the conclusion that he couldn't create the "sandwich" without expensive production equipment beyond the means of a typical DIYer, and that's when he decided to turn it into a commercial project. So even if a DIYer knew exactly what materials were being used, proper integration would be the limiting factor on creating a quality finished product.

#46 ·
............and yet there still exists a distinct possibility of doing exactly that. Some AVS oriented experiments are ongoing, and if they bear fruit, they will provide a way to create the sandwich.

As to if the exact materials in use with the current product would be revealed....that remains as best problematical. But at least such an advance would not rule out similar experimentation.

#47 ·
Well what do you guys think of this for an idea of sticking the layers together: when making car windshields and bullet proof glass they fuse several of glass together using paper that turns to invisible adhesive once heated up. If we could get our hands on some of that adhesive it maybe possible rig up the appropriate layers (in there rolls) on the wall and pull them onto an empty roll with the adhesive in between the layers and heat up the layers on the new roll with a heat gun as it spins. Sorry for the bad explanation hopefully this bad picture will explain things better.

Attachments

#48 ·
Well for that matter all the materials needed should come with adhesive once the backing paper is removed correct? So bear with me on this one. What if the first reflective layer is applied to a big piece of glass (or any smooth glass like surface should work the same) but don't pull the backing film so it doesn't adhere to the surface permanently. Once it is all nice and smooth apply the tint layers to the reflective layers like you would when tinting a window using the adhesive and soapy water to apply. once the tint layers are on, then the diffuser goes on the same way, once cured for a day or so in the sun light you should be able to pull all the layers off the glass (or smooth surface) at once and have a perfectly bonded multi-layered sheet.:cool: "F*** YOU SCIENCE!"

#49 ·
MississippiMan, I should have added at the end of my last post what I was thinking -- that DIYers can be clever, resourceful and persistent, and just because Robert couldn't find a DIY solution doesn't mean that others will (or should) give up.

frozen-hampster, you should post your ideas in the DIY black screen tests thread in the DIY screen forum, where lots of brain-storming and experimentation is being discussed.http://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-diy-screen-section/1485908-diy-black-screen-tests.html

#55 ·
While much of what is ventured isn't desirable, everything listed is pretty much as would be expected.

In the striving to acquire a truly Black surface, one with gain, the combination of a highly reflective substrate, a darker overlay, and a diffuser has to balance all factors "exactly". The degree of applied gain required to offset the attenuation of a black surface makes achieving such a Balance extremely difficult, and expensive....and all too often compromises still must be accepted.

When the above involves a true Mfg process, many times the choices are limited as to how to do so, and with what specific materials. Add to that a new Start-up Developer's own restrictions, (...creating such a "Mfg" product that would remain affordable...) and unbiased reports by actual end users are critical.....and sometimes quite telling.

And, throughout Robert's efforts, it was / is exactly that drive toward an almost "Black" surface, one that likens unto a LED TV when off, that has been the chief hurdle to mount, and has caused the requirement of such excessive gain to offset that very darkness.

So here we have a review that pretty much replicates every deleterious and undesirable aspect of virtually all such Mfg screens that use surface gain to offset Blackness instead of the Projector's lumen output. And when one also combines relatively high Lumen output with Retro Reflective tendencies, every issue above is compounded.

Myself, and for many, many others, the idea of having substantial acreage on a wall look like a light-less void seems counterproductive to true esthetics. In a Family room environ (...where of course it is most needed...) the Significant Other usually laments the appearance. In a Theater, unless such a surface is almost solely intended to increase "off the Screen" contrast, or combat the close proximity of reflective surfaces...or both, it (...Blackness...) seems overly redundant.

But I also can both understand and relate to those whose primary desire is to have something that elicits wonder from one's Peers, and large Black surfaces that suddenly light up like a LED TV certainly fits that premise.

As such....many owners of such can and do accept most of the above caveats. Frankly speaking, seeing such a thorough and comprehensive review is the exception rather than the rule, because a great many folks don't want to post about "mistakes' in choices....and the more expensive the choice, the less likely the effort will be considered.

helderlima does a great many a distinct and valuable service by "telling it as it is", as well as describing as to why he finds that despite the drawbacks, he does not wholly regret his purchase. What that means is that people have both sides of the picture to make effective judgements by.

And perhaps best of all, at the point / level Robert is in this Venture, such reviews can prompt a rethinking of design and process that might result in noticeable improvements. Knowing Robert....that is exactly what I would expect. ;) He's not the type to "settle" for less than optimal results.

Taking things congenially further, I am posting below two images of a Silver Fire screen of approx N8.5 shade and a Gain factor of approx. 1.3. It's simply a metallic infused translucent paint sprayed upon White primed Drywall. It's reflective particles are extremely fine grained, and are embedded at various degrees of angle within the multiple layered coat, which itself uses the underlying pure white surface to capture absorbed light and retain / return it into the initial darker reflective surface.

The first one was taken with two 80 watt Floods washing each corner of the screen. Note the "white" border around the Screen. That is the White Primed wall area that remained when the 2" Blue tape was removed. No Trim was as of yet applied.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=252354&stc=1&d=1410183881

The Second image has the Front Floods turned off, but the Rear Floods ( @ 12' from the screen ) remain on.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=252362&stc=1&d=1410183881

If a Black Screen surface is the primary goal, certainly what is shown above isn't what matches. Just the same, almost identical performance is achieved with surfaces painted with SF where the shade of Gray approaches N5.0 and gain is approx. 0.9
......and a N5.0 surface is pretty darn Dark Gray.

But...it's not Black, so there is that to consider.

Attachments

#56 ·
Hey guys,
it becomes very quiet about this "black screen" topic. I'm still very curious about the topic.

When I was writing to Robert Hart via e-mail, I received an auto response that his mail box is full :-/ Do you know something about him and if there is a change in kind of his homepage or mailing address? I am asking because in his youtube channel he was introducing the new product panther, but it never reached the web in form of a video or as new product in his store at rtpmanhattan.com

I hope you can advice me with some more information !

kind regards
scharla

#57 ·
I received an email from Robert this week that he is currently in China securing a supplier for one of his screen layers (I have a Panther on order). He is definitely working to get the screen out, but it sounds like he wants to ensure that every material and process is perfect before release. So, quite a bit patience is required. He has told me quite a bit of exciting stuff (better than initially described), but I do want to go into any detail since it is his to reveal.

Bottom line--he is still working hard to get the Panther out, but it might require some more time. I'll post a review when I get mine.

#58 ·
Hey JoikD,
thanks for your answer. That sounds good. Do you know how many products he will have in place in the future or has in place at the moment? In his videos I saw 2 officially and one more unofficial. (Panther + Zebra is known and then is there one more Highcontrast one wich does not have a name)
I hope for a screen with a bit more wide viewing angles because I watch a lot of sport with friends. I am not sure if the zebra can fullfill my requirements. Do you know if the viewing angles of panther is better?

regards
Ronny

#59 ·
Sorry. I don't have any answers for you. I'm not sure on what the final Panther will be--still a work in progress. It did sound like it will be improved from the Panther in the youtube video. If I understood correctly, it will also have the possibility of a version that is even blacker than the Zebra.

#61 ·
I just want to say that I really enjoyed the general information for screen limitations and how they function on the zebra website. It's nice to see actual information that's important to know for anyone new to specialty screens..with pictures to go with the explanations.
It beats the pants off of the usual smoke, mirrors and snake-oil you typically find on official websites.

#62 ·
hm I did not received any response from robert hart yet. I hope you guys have some better news about closing the gap to put your fingers onto a black screen. There are also no instructions on his channels (web page, youtube, facebook) which is making some hope about new products or that robert hart is still in business. :-/

Do someone knows more then I ? DO we have mor Zebra or mb the first panther owners here?

regards
Ronny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.