noticeable difference between elite cine grey 5d and stewart firehawk g4? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ben38
  • 1 Post By eydsamoht

post #1 of 11 Old 06-09-2014, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 13
before the flaming begins i know that stewart screens are in the top echelon of screens but what i want to know is there going to be a huge difference in picture quality between the 2 screens. is it going to be worth it for me to spend the extra 3 grand on getting the stewart or should i just stick with my elite screen. i am pretty happy with my elite screen i just want to know if the picture quality will increase $3000 worth. what are you guy's opinion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-09-2014, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post

before the flaming begins i know that stewart screens are in the top echelon of screens but what i want to know is there going to be a huge difference in picture quality between the 2 screens. is it going to be worth it for me to spend the extra 3 grand on getting the stewart or should i just stick with my elite screen. i am pretty happy with my elite screen i just want to know if the picture quality will increase $3000 worth. what are you guy's opinion
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_140235828479311&key=0f4a86ba6db5fdb509f85ecacef1696f&libId=8334565c-c02e-4aa4-ace9-91f44b1c13da&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.avsforum.com%2Ft%2F1534757%2Fis-150-screen-too-big-need-help%23post_24804265&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.accucalhd.com%2Fdocuments%2Faccucal_front_projection_screen_report.pdf&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.avsforum.com%2Ff%2F23%2Fscreens&title=Is%20150%22%20screen%20too%20big%3F%20Need%20help.&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.accucalhd.com%2Fdocuments%2Faccucal_front_projection_screen_report.pdf

Here's the recently updated Jeff Meier screen test report. (Thank You to DavidHir for pointing me to it.)

On a personal note: I've seen a number of ambient light rejecting screens in action, (Including a Supernova Blade just last Saturday and BD Screens on three different occasions) and they all seem to have similar performance. Of course there are small variations, but not one screen is significantly better than the other regardless of price.
avconsumer2 likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-23-2014, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow. That is a brilliant report. Thanks for reposting (as I'd never seen it and am in the market)!
post #4 of 11 Old 06-23-2014, 03:06 PM

Even though the ACCUCAL tests show the Cinegrey5D material performs a little better than The Firehawks, to my eyes they're about equal. The Stewart Frames however, are on a completely different level.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-24-2014, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I would concur. I have a 100" Elite CineGrey 5D screen with a sable frame, and while the screen material is decent, the frame is crap. It wasn't fun to assemble (one of the center joints had screw holes that were too big for screws and needed to be replaced) and isn't completely rectangular. There is a very slight vertical bow inward on the bottom edge of the screen that is noticeable when I project a computer desktop. Mounting the screen material was also a bit of a chore.

If you can justify $3k for a screen, maybe it's worthwhile? For me, that's a tough sell even with the issues I have with the Elite frame. My personal opinion is that most of the light rejecting screens are overpriced, which is why I'd still buy the CineGrey 5D again, but DaLite or Carada would do nicely to fill in the gap in the sub $1200 price point.
ben38 likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-25-2014, 04:43 AM

My Screen came with the EZ frame, and it was put together easily and with no issues. So I guess there are differences in the frames after all.

While we're talking about value differences, I forgot to mention that the Firehawk material is thicker and stronger than the Cinegrey 5D material. I Still love my Cinegrey 5D. Just wanted to point out there are reasons why one costs a lot more than the other
post #7 of 11 Old 06-26-2014, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 13
well after all the research i have done and with you guys help i have decided to keep my elite cinegrey 5d ezframe. thanks for all the help.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-01-2014, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
well done, There is a very slight vertical bow inward on the bottom edge of the screen that is noticeable when I project a computer desktop. Mounting the screen material was also a bit of a chore,thanks
post #9 of 11 Old 07-01-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
Even though the ACCUCAL tests show the Cinegrey5D material performs a little better than The Firehawks, to my eyes they're about equal. The Stewart Frames however, are on a completely different level.

Stewart does build a very good screen and frame. Just FYI - always give us a call or email at AV Science - you might be surprised how affordable a Stewart screen can be.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #10 of 11 Old 07-01-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Agreed, I am very happy with my Stewart and the price was indeed less than expected from AVS. I was pleasantly surprised.

Excellent frame (Luxus Deluxe) with the ez mount makes it a breeze to put together and mount. The magnet pucks do a really nice job of keeping the bottom part of frame against the wall too and helps the geometry of the bottom image.

post #11 of 11 Old 07-08-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Stewart does build a very good screen and frame. Just FYI - always give us a call or email at AV Science - you might be surprised how affordable a Stewart screen can be.
I miss my Stewart screen. It was the most incredible home theater product I've owned. Quality from A to Z.

Sold it when I sold my house (and theater) and I regret not taking that with me and leaving a cheap pull down screen in it's place.

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page