AVS Forum banner

Has Anyone gotten a chance to see the new Starling Tension screens from Elitescreens?

8K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  cpercival 
#1 ·
For "street price" to feature ratio, this screen is looking like my go-to screen.... I am exhausted from looking all over trying to find used/eBay screens, craigslist, etc. for a motorized and/or tensioned screen options. For what this screen includes, it looks like the one to beat!

Anyone else have a chance to see or work with this screen? I spoke with the Tech support from Elitescreens and they said this is a step UP from the Cinetension line but still cheaper!

What do you all think?

#3 ·
Since I couldn't pass up this price for a new tensioned elitescreen, I went ahead and ordered it from TigerDirect. It came to a bit over $700 with overnight air shipping.

Overall first impressions:

1. Screen build is high quality... it is heavy and solid, has excellent materials in the casing, wires, etc.

2. The motor is slow... VERY slow... this is my first electric operated screen, coming from a fixed model, and it takes a while to get it to come down.

3. Brackets and mounts are very good and provide plenty of different options, from wall mounting, to ceiling mounting, to mounting inside a box. It included lots of different screws and lag nuts.

4. Documentation is poor at best... mounting is the only thing it explains... I cannot figure out how to get the screen to stay at a fixed position, since its drop is so low.

5. Drop... it includes a drop of like 24" (I think, I am not near the screen as I write this) but it would be quite handy with a 10' or 11' ceiling. For my 8' Standard celing, the screen goes down a bit too far, which goes back to my problem in #4 on how to adjust... right now we use the included remotes to stop the progress on its way down.

6. No wrinkles! This is big since I was deathly afraid of wrinkles to the point that I went looking only for tab-tensioned options. The tab tensioning is super cool and gives a great taught looking screen.

Any other questions ask away, I will work on uploading some pics that I have thus far with it paired with my JVC-X55r.

Attachments

#5 ·
I emailed support and got this reply

"There is a limit screw that can be adjusted on your screen, which will adjust the drop to decrease (bear in mind that you can not increase the drop). In looking at the front of the housing, on the left hand side, you'll notice that there is a small hole. Through that hole is where you'll be making the adjustment. You will need a long 5/32 allen wrench to reach the screw. Once inserted, turn the allen wrench clock-wise. Do this with the screen in the down position. One full turn of the allen wrench equals one inch of decreased drop. Test the adjustment by raising the screen halfway and dropping it again so that you can see the difference in the drop."

#24 ·
Mounted my screen last weekend, just in time for the holidays, and will be making this adjustment today. Thanks for posting this info as I couldn't figure out how to adjust it either.

#6 ·
bcar473,

Where you able to adjust the screen with the provided method. I will not need any of the additional drop and would like for only the screen to drop down when I hit the lower button.

If you do not mind, I have a few questions.

What size did you get?

What are your thoughts about it thus far?

Does the screen housing being white reflect a lot of light from the projector? Would it be possible to paint the screen housing black in your opinion?

Thank you.

-Sean

#7 ·
Also very interested in this screen! It looks like you have some ambient light in your room, as will I, can you post more pics of screen being projected on? Debating between this and the Monoprice tab tensioned screen.

#10 ·
? for a newbie on Projectors why go with a tensioned screen what is the advantage to it vs. a normal drop down?

#15 ·
Of course, you're right Michael. I said a tab tensioned screen combats the development of waves. But, as in your case, it doesn't always win.

My order of screens you should go for is as follows:

1.Fixed frame screen.
2.Tab tensioned screen.
3.Motorized drop screen.
4.Manual pull down or pull up screen.

Although a tab tensioned screen does indeed have the occasional failure, It's still the next best option after a fixed frame screen.

P.S. Mississippi Man will probably disagree and say the best first option is a smoothed wall painted screen. Since I've seen some examples that were spectacular, I can't disagree. If you want to Do it yourself.

#17 ·
Hard to say how quiet it is, as it's my first motorized screen, but I wouldn't call it loud by any means. As far as drop time, I'll have to measure, but it gets to position before my projector finishes booting. Screen is very flat. Tension is adjustable, so I should be able to keep it flat for years to come.

#20 ·
Sorry I never responded.... I had those first three posts with no responses and gave up checking the thread! LOL!

Ok, update 6 months (or so) in.... the screen is great! I just adjusted the drop and its perfect! My room setup is less than optimal, so I have slight keystoning for the projector, but thats because it is mounted odd, on a high platform, shooting down to avoid a fan and then hitting the screen... it works though! Looks GREAT!

The screen is a good brightness for the JVC, probably be brighter on a projector with more lumens (mine calibrated shoots at around 703 lumens?). I do have slight ambient light with a side light that is on all the time for the room and also a couple side lights during the daytime. Even then, the screen/projector combo is quite watchable!

The screen drop is very flat.... no issues whatsoever.... the screen takes around a minute to fully drop... pretty slow, but not even half as slow as my projector powering on!

I will post some more pics as I get them taken!

#21 ·
Nice. I'm also looking into a tab tension screen if I cannot get a fixed to work in my layout and the Starling seems to be a good price range, definitely not too pricey like the Da-Lites or Drapers but I know those are better quality.

How many times a day or week would you say you have raised and lowered it. Total number of times? If I get one, I would probably end up raising and lowering about 3 times a week or more...

#23 ·
I would say that we watch the screen 5x's a week at this point, but will watch it more now that we found out how to adjust the height of the drop. It makes a world of difference to adjust that, since using the remote to inch it up and down every time made it kinda a pain in the butt! (It took me until CineRik posted the directions, since the two people I talked to on the online tech support at the company were misinformed and said that only a professional installer could adjust the drop).

Let me know if you have any more questions?

#25 ·
I just installed my 100" and I thought I'd give some impressions.

First, it arrived in good condition. The packing was exceptional. I was a worried since I had previously purchased a cheaper Elite screen from Amazon, and it was destroyed upon arrival, and it's replacement fell out of the end of the box when it was delivered. This Starling is in another league. The screen housing was surrounded by foam. The box was four layers thick with extra corner braces all around. Almost bomb proof.

Instructions were not as good. Just a sheet showing different mounting positions. Nothing about adjusting the drop. I'm glad I found this information here.

Mounting hardware was plentiful. Enough fasteners for any type of material. A screwdriver is even provided. I really like the mounting brackets. I screwed the brackets into the ceiling, and then the housing is lifted into the brackets and is locked in place. Since the brackets slide, you have lots of flexibility for mounting locations.

Two remotes are provied. One for IR, and the other for RF.

The screen material itself is much thicker than what I had previously. It is free of wrinkles and waves. The projector image is square right to the edges of the screen. It looks good even with some ambient light. 3D images have good depth and pop-out range.

I'm very happy with this purchase. Highly recommended.

#26 · (Edited)
I'll add my two cents as well since I'm a happy Elite customer.

Due to screen decision paralysis(size, material type, scope vs. 16:9, etc.) and the fact that every retractable screen from the "major" companies was a minimum of $2000 and quickly up from there, I had my projector in a box in my basement for a year. To be honest though, my fear that my wife wouldn't like the screen and PJ in our living room was another issue contributing to the indecision.

Anyhoo, I was browsing around the web for screens and I ran across a 100" 16:9 screen from Elite for well under $200 and figured what the heck, for $200 I can finally see what the PJ fuss was all about, figure out what size screen I really want, and give the old WAF a whirl. If things don't work out the most I'm out is a couple hundred dollars.

So I ordered the Elite Screens 100 Inch 16:9 Spectrum Electric Projector Screen as a Christmas gift for myself from the wife and kids :). The value of this screen was amazing IMO considering it comes with 3 different ways to control it and it was incredibly easy to install. It had the MaxWhite screen and came perfectly packaged.

Well, let me tell you, when my wife saw that 100" screen it was love at first sight! :D She was blown away(and me too). It turns out that the 100" size was perfect for our room and seating distance and we had it for the past week or so and it was great. The only problem is that there were some waves in the corner that were a bit irritating. Not surprising really considering it's not tab tensioned. Also, there is only 6" of drop and I felt like I was looking up at it and it seemed there was too much light reflecting back from my white ceilings and washing the picture out. But I don't want to give the impression I'm complaining! I'm not. At that price point I think I got every bit of my money's worth - and then some! If I didn't have the resources to get a more expensive screen I would have kept it and been very satisfied with the value I received.

But I do have the cash, so I decided to return it and get the 100" Cinetension 2 with the 24" drop and the Cinewhite screen material. As was mentioned, the packaging on the Cinetension screen was fantastic. Doubled boxed and reinforced. The screen arrived in perfect condition. Easy to install with all the hardware included. I emailed Elite customer support for instructions on adjusting the drop and I had a response with instructions within the hour. Outstanding support!

The tensioned screen is just awesome and there is no defects whatsoever. I easily adjusted the drop to 16" and had to adjust the tension on one side of the screen. Easy peasy. The screen surface is perfectly flat and the image quality is outstanding. This Cinetension is a better screen in every respect. Much faster motor, perfectly flat surface, easily adjustable side-to-side in the ceiling brackets and a better screen material. I couldn't be happier and for less than $1000 it is also an amazing value IMO.

The impact of lowering the screen is just remarkable. Not only is the picture improved with better blacks from less reflections, but it is incredible how things change when the picture is at your height and you're not looking up at it. Far more immersive and intimate. Just the perspective change alone was worth the extra money IMO.

Well just my 2 cents and I wanted to post my experience for all those - like me - that look at how inexpensive these are and just assume they're probably garbage. Not at all in my experience. I'm not saying the more expensive screens are not better, they may or may not be, just that I am totally satisfied with what I paid and what I received and Elite deserves kudos for delivering real value.

Attachments

#27 ·
I'm not saying the more expensive screens are not better, they may or may not be, just that I am totally satisfied with what I paid and what I received and Elite deserves kudos for delivering real value.
Hey friend, are you still enjoying your Cinetension2 screen? I am planning on getting one, and I'd appreciate your feedback.

#31 ·
I just got my 135" screen mounted last weekend, and so far it looks great. I'll echo what others have said about the packaging and the mounting hardware - both superb. Screen takes it time coming down, but when it finally makes it, I can't find a single wrinkle or wave on it.
I did notice however, that there are actually knobs on the ends of the weight bar that will adjust the tension of tension line. Of course, like the drop adjustment, there is no mention of this in the instructions. That line is pretty loose on mine. The screen looks dead flat to me, but are there some guidelines as to how taut that line should be?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.