Screen that compliments my Sony HW40ES? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #31 of 34 Old 07-30-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
Just curious if you've received and have the Seymour motorized screen up yet? I would love to get a retractable screen, but just haven't found any that seem as reliable as a fixed on until I came across the Seymour. Seems like about the only option where I could fit the size retractable screen I want in the space I have and still have a quality picture.

I have never had an issue with either Stewart or Da Lite electric screens. And electric screens are the only screens I've used for the last 12+ years of having my own home theater. Just FYI !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 08-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm21 View Post
Yes, I received the screen. It is getting installed at a second home and the shipment timing was a little off... it arrived almost three weeks ago. I finally had a chance to bring it to the install location this weekend.

Problem is that I ordered the H120. It weights about 80-90 pounds. While I thought about it, there is no practical way to install it alone. You definitely need at least two people to lift it near the top of a 9.5ft wall.

The installation process is pretty easy. The mounting bracket is up and ready to go.

With any luck, I will be able to recruit some help for this or the next weekend. Will definitely post back here when I have more detail.
You have your Seymour up yet? I really like everything about the Seymour dropdowns - except the screen material. I'm worried about the acoustic material being visible, even from 11 ft. If I could get the Seymour dropdown with the Neve material, I'd do it in a second!

post #33 of 34 Old 08-13-2014, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcramer View Post
You have your Seymour up yet? I really like everything about the Seymour dropdowns - except the screen material. I'm worried about the acoustic material being visible, even from 11 ft. If I could get the Seymour dropdown with the Neve material, I'd do it in a second!
The plan is to install the scene on Friday or Saturday.

I had a couple of friends here over July 4th weekend and the plan was to install then. Unfortunately the screen didn't arrive until a few days after that. It's driving me crazy watching it sit there. Calvary is arriving on Thursday or Friday so we should be good to go.

If all goes to plan, I will watch a movie or two Saturday night and report back soon after. Have some business travel Monday-Tuesday so might not get back here until nod week.
post #34 of 34 Old 08-17-2014, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just got back from a weekend at the second home. FINALLY got some help and was able to install the screen.

It is a SeymourAV 120 retractable. 120" image width, 16:9 ratio. Standard XD fabric. Retractables all have the black backing.

My only problem was mounting the screen to the wall. It is BIG and HEAVY. I thought I could do it alone, but no go. It is almost 134" wide and weights about 90#. Too big and unwieldily to do alone. (You do NOT want to drop something this expensive!)

Once placed on the mounting bracket, you basically take off two velcro strips, plug it in and go. Very simple.

I fired up the Sony HW40 and watch some video. Certainly an upgrade from watching on a sheetrock wall.

Room is about 12.5 wide. Projector is mounted 16ft from screen. Seating distance is about 11 ft.

Keep in mind that I have no basis for comparison. This is my first projection setup. That said, I thought the picture was great.

The room is still under construction. Ceiling and floor is in, but walls are still sheetrock with primer. I am sitting on patio chairs for now. The bright white walls help reflect light quite a bit. The wood ceiling/floor has helped a lot in this regard.

There is a window on one wall. This will be treated with a blackout curtain. Since I really only watch movies at night, the room is effectively light controlled. This is a home in the "country" and there is no light at all coming in at all after the sun sets.

I had a chance to watch most of two movies. Both on Blu-Ray. At first they appeared a little too bright. I have a calibration disc, but haven't run it yet (waiting to finish room). After playing with some settings on the projector, I was able to get a much better picture. I am sure I will be able to dial things in very well through calibration.

Legends of the Fall was the first movie I fired up. I thought I was seeing the screen "weave." Then I turned off "reality creation." Things became "softer" and the "pattern" disappeared.

Next movie I tried was Skyfall. Partly because I like the movie, but also because so many see to use that as a "reference point" movie for testing things out. Here, reality creation made things incredibly sharp but didn't cause the "pattern" effect I saw on Legends. I think it has to do with the age of the movie or quality of the transfer.

At 11 ft away from the screen, I could not see a pattern. I don't have a teenager's eyes anymore, but am sensitive to these things. If that is the only thing worrying you, I would say don't sweat it at all.

Picture quality was great. Both movies have a mix of dark and light scenes. Again, things looked a bit bright at first but were easy enough to correct with some settings. When I finish my walls in darker colors, that will help too.

Acoustic quality of the screen - wow. It is like the screen isn't there. I was very impressed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-16.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	217025  
Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page