Do I need to upgrade 2005 Da-Lite screen for HW30ES? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By trans_lux
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-20-2014, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
pjp
Senior Member
 
pjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Do I need to upgrade 2005 Da-Lite screen for HW30ES?

Believe it or not, I am still using the screen I bought in 2005. I've upgraded the projector 3 times (starting with a Sony HS51 and now have an HW30ES), but it never occurred to me to even think about upgrading screens.

The screen I have is a Da-Lite Cinema Contour 106" (52x92) frame with a "High Contrast Cinema Vision" screen which is light gray with a 1.1 gain. The screen was $1360 in 2005 dollars, so I guess it was pretty good quality, but I'm wondering if it is obsolete now. The picture looks pretty good, but I do see a little graininess that I feel the current screen might be contributing to. The screen surface isn't that smooth and my very uninformed mind makes me think it might have a better picture with a smoother surface.

I know absolutely nothing about screens, so I would appreciate any advice. If I upgrade screens, I will want to use a new Da-Lite screen to snap into the existing frame. I just bought a new projector, so I don't have a large budget for a new screen. When I look at Da-Lite screen choices on Projector Central there seem to be a ton of different models, so it's hard to know what's what. I would appreciate help in the following:

1. Is my current screen so completely obsolete that I need to upgrade it?
2. Which Da-Lite screen I choose?

The throw distance is 12ft. We mostly use it with lights overhead dimly lit, but sometimes we use it with lights on medium level.
pjp is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 06-21-2014, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
trans_lux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: In my theater
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 131
It sounds like a new screen is in order.
The early Cinema Vision screens had issues. In fact we had many exchanged.

The 30ES has excellent contrast and is very bright.
I know many here like the Da-lite High Power surfaces
I recently procured a sample and its on axis performance is very good.
However just a bit off axis-around 20-25 degrees-grayscale completely falls apart with delta e in the high single digits.
Also the surface has all but vanished and not currently available.
Further lots of changes and consolidations that appear to be strictly bottom line driven at Da-lite since the merger/acquisition by Milestone AV Technologies.

IMHO something like HD Progressive 1.3 would be an excellent choice if you want to stay with da-lite.
http://www.da-lite.com/screen-surfac...progressive-13
trans_lux is online now  
post #3 of 15 Old 06-21-2014, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
pjp
Senior Member
 
pjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux View Post
It sounds like a new screen is in order.
The early Cinema Vision screens had issues. In fact we had many exchanged.

The 30ES has excellent contrast and is very bright.
I know many here like the Da-lite High Power surfaces
I recently procured a sample and its on axis performance is very good.
However just a bit off axis-around 20-25 degrees-grayscale completely falls apart with delta e in the high single digits.
Also the surface has all but vanished and not currently available.
Further lots of changes and consolidations that appear to be strictly bottom line driven at Da-lite since the merger/acquisition by Milestone AV Technologies.

IMHO something like HD Progressive 1.3 would be an excellent choice if you want to stay with da-lite.
http://www.da-lite.com/screen-surfac...progressive-13
Thanks very much for the feedback. I am pretty well-versed in AV in general, but I don't have the faintest clue about screen selection. From Da-Lite's website, they still sell my "Cinema Contour" frame and the SKU would be 24755V for that frame with the HD Progressive 1.3 surface. I need to figure out how I can order just a new screen surface to fit into my existing Cinema Contour frame.
pjp is online now  
post #4 of 15 Old 06-21-2014, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
trans_lux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: In my theater
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 131
In the past I was able to buy just the surface. All you needed to do was provide the serial number of your current screen.
Here is a fantastic review and test of most of the current screens.
http://www.accucalhd.com/documents/a...een_report.pdf
pjp and cemo62 like this.
trans_lux is online now  
post #5 of 15 Old 06-21-2014, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
pjp
Senior Member
 
pjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux View Post
In the past I was able to buy just the surface. All you needed to do was provide the serial number of your current screen.
Here is a fantastic review and test of most of the current screens.
http://www.accucalhd.com/documents/a...een_report.pdf
Thanks -- this is super helpful. The Cinema Vision doesn't fair too well in that review. I guess they tested the current version, so my 2005 presumably is worse. I agree with their criticism, I do feel that the slight texture detracts from the picture (I feel it is visible beyond 9ft though). The HD Progressive 1.3 does sound good (and smooth, which is one of my concerns).

The only serial number I have is from the purchase receipt - DAL90271. Hopefully this is the right one. I have the original manual with hand-written numbers in it from the factory for snap/screw counts, but it doesn't have a serial number.
pjp is online now  
post #6 of 15 Old 06-21-2014, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
trans_lux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: In my theater
Posts: 938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I believe that's the model you should be good.
trans_lux is online now  
post #7 of 15 Old 06-22-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 396
I briefly had the HD Progressive 1.1 and it was an excellent screen, but I had to return it because I was sensitive to seeing sparkles. However, a lot of people are not bothered or really notice them.

DavidHir is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 06-22-2014, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
pjp
Senior Member
 
pjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I briefly had the HD Progressive 1.1 and it was an excellent screen, but I had to return it because I was sensitive to seeing sparkles. However, a lot of people are not bothered or really notice them.
Thanks for the feedback David. They did also mention sparkles in the AccuCal review Trans_Lux provided. What surface did you end up choosing and are you happy with it?
pjp is online now  
post #9 of 15 Old 06-22-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Thanks for the feedback David. They did also mention sparkles in the AccuCal review Trans_Lux provided. What surface did you end up choosing and are you happy with it?
I recently just switched to the Stewart StudioTek 100 - just came in the other day. I haven't had any time to watch it yet and my projector is about to be calibrated to it, but will post my thoughts soon.

DavidHir is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 06-23-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 4,777
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I too would recommend the HD Pro. 1.1 or possibly the 1.3 material - and I owned a HCCV screen myself ( replaced it with a Stewart Cima 1.1 screen ). Shoot me an email if I can help get a price on a replacement material for you.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Craig Peer is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 06-23-2014, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
pjp
Senior Member
 
pjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I too would recommend the HD Pro. 1.1 or possibly the 1.3 material - and I owned a HCCV screen myself ( replaced it with a Stewart Cima 1.1 screen ). Shoot me an email if I can help get a price on a replacement material for you.
Thanks Craig -- email sent
pjp is online now  
post #12 of 15 Old 07-02-2014, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
pjp
Senior Member
 
pjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
An Update: With Craig's help, I received 1 foot square samples of HD progressive 1.1 and 1.3 from Da-Lite. It's a little difficult to tell how it looks from the small samples, but both eliminate the graininess seen in my current Cinema Vision screen. I've ordered the HD 1.3 to replace my current 106" Cinema Vision surface (reusing the Cinema Contour frame) and will report back after I receive it and have a chance to try it out.
pjp is online now  
post #13 of 15 Old 07-07-2014, 04:01 PM
Newbie
 
Srt-What's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
how's pricing considering you kept your old frame and had to do the job yourself ?
Srt-What is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 07-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
yeah,well,briefly had the HD Progressive 1.1 and it was an excellent screen, but I had to return it because I was sensitive to seeing sparkles. However, a lot of people are not bothered or really notice them
larcronetwo is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 07-09-2014, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
pjp
Senior Member
 
pjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srt-What View Post
how's pricing considering you kept your old frame and had to do the job yourself ?
I have what I think is one of Da-Lite's better quality frames (the Cinema Contour), so pricing for just replacing the screen surface is quite a bit less than ordering a full new screen (surface and frame). How much it saves percentage-wise depends on the surface you want and on which frame you have. I ordered through Craig at AV Science, he should be able to give you an exact quote if you provide the model number of your screen. Da-Lite doesn't sell direct to customers, but AV Science is a Da-Lite dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larcronetwo View Post
yeah,well,briefly had the HD Progressive 1.1 and it was an excellent screen, but I had to return it because I was sensitive to seeing sparkles. However, a lot of people are not bothered or really notice them
This is the second comment about sparkles, so I hope I'm not making a mistake. I tried to look for sparkles on the samples -- I didn't see anything, but it's really hard to tell on a 1 foot square sample. I need with stick with Da-Lite since I want to reuse my existing frame. It sounds like HD Progressive is the best choice from all the feedback, so I hope I am making the best choice from the options available.
pjp is online now  
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off