Cinegrey 5D for dedicated HT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-25-2014, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Flavio Amorim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cinegrey 5D for dedicated HT

Hi guys,

I currently have a generic white pvc screen and I am planning to buy something better.

My HT is a deticated room and fully dark.

I have an Optoma h180x and I was wondering if I can use a screen like the Cinegrey 5d with a fully dark room.

Will the high gain cause me any problem?

Thanks
Flavio Amorim is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 06-25-2014, 05:42 PM
Member
 
eydsamoht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
There's no reason to use a CineGrey 5D screen in a room with low or no ambient light. Get one if you use the projector with the lights turned on, but otherwise a white screen is going to give you the best image in a dark room.
ben38 likes this.
eydsamoht is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 06-25-2014, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 640
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by eydsamoht View Post
There's no reason to use a CineGrey 5D screen in a room with low or no ambient light. Get one if you use the projector with the lights turned on, but otherwise a white screen is going to give you the best image in a dark room.
I agree 100 percent. Love my Cinegrey5D in my ambient light challenged room. But in a dedicated HT room there's no reason for using any specialty screen.
ben38 is online now  
post #4 of 13 Old 06-26-2014, 10:13 AM
Senior Member
 
paulfromtulsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
well it depends on your watching habits. if you watch your projector will the lights off 100% of the time i would get a a white screen. if your like me and use your projector as a tv and prefer the light on i would get the cinegrey 5d screen (that's what i use). the way i see it is that i watch tv 90% of the time and movies 10%. so i would rather it look good 90% of the time than the best 10% of the time.
ben38 likes this.
paulfromtulsa is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 06-26-2014, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 640
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
well it depends on your watching habits. if you watch your projector will the lights off 100% of the time i would get a a white screen. if your like me and use your projector as a tv and prefer the light on i would get the cinegrey 5d screen (that's what i use). the way i see it is that i watch tv 90% of the time and movies 10%. so i would rather it look good 90% of the time than the best 10% of the time.
You have a good point there Paul.
ben38 is online now  
post #6 of 13 Old 06-26-2014, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Flavio Amorim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I will be watching 100% of the time with lights off.

I am really trying to get the best out of my setup.

This is my ht:

My ceiling is like chocolate and walls oak.

The thing is I have a cheap pvc screen that I got for $100. Is there any increase in picture quality if I get one of those commercial well known screens?

Cheers
Flavio Amorim is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 06-26-2014, 10:36 PM
Senior Member
 
paulfromtulsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you're going to watch with the lights off all the time I would get a good quality white screen like a Stewart studiotek
paulfromtulsa is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 06-26-2014, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 640
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
If you're going to watch with the lights off all the time I would get a good quality white screen like a Stewart studiotek
Agreed. The best screen you can get if you have the money. If you want to go less expensive, I saw a 110 inch Stewart Cima screen with the Neve material that I thought was superb.
ben38 is online now  
post #9 of 13 Old 06-27-2014, 04:56 PM
Member
 
eydsamoht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Amorim View Post
I will be watching 100% of the time with lights off.

I am really trying to get the best out of my setup.

This is my ht: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCFCMaI6UKA

My ceiling is like chocolate and walls oak.

The thing is I have a cheap pvc screen that I got for $100. Is there any increase in picture quality if I get one of those commercial well known screens?

Cheers
I looked at your YouTube link. Before you get a new screen, I would consider the other part of the equation: the projector. It looks like you're using an Optoma H180X which is bright, but only 720P and 4000:1, pretty low contrast. A good projector throwing on a regular painted wall can look better than an entry level projector throwing on a screen.


I don't think upgrading your screen to something like a Studiotek is going to get the results that you want. If you're locked into this projector, then you may want to demo some high contrast materials, but not necessarily ambient light rejecting ones. Don't get a high gain screen, either. Even then you probably won't get a huge improvement, but you may get some. Do some research on the various manufacturers and see what high contrast screens are in your price range and order some samples. Only after you've demoed a few, then consider changing things up.


www.projectorcentral.com is your friend. Use their calculator to find a material that yields image brightness as close to 16 fL as possible (higher is okay, but not too high).
eydsamoht is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 06-27-2014, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Flavio Amorim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eydsamoht View Post
I looked at your YouTube link. Before you get a new screen, I would consider the other part of the equation: the projector. It looks like you're using an Optoma H180X which is bright, but only 720P and 4000:1, pretty low contrast. A good projector throwing on a regular painted wall can look better than an entry level projector throwing on a screen.


I don't think upgrading your screen to something like a Studiotek is going to get the results that you want. If you're locked into this projector, then you may want to demo some high contrast materials, but not necessarily ambient light rejecting ones. Don't get a high gain screen, either. Even then you probably won't get a huge improvement, but you may get some. Do some research on the various manufacturers and see what high contrast screens are in your price range and order some samples. Only after you've demoed a few, then consider changing things up.


www.projectorcentral.com is your friend. Use their calculator to find a material that yields image brightness as close to 16 fL as possible (higher is okay, but not too high).
I am looking at buying a 1080p projector. Is the benq w1070 a good choice? Which one would you recommend?

The contrast of the h180x is 18000:1 not 4000:1

Thanks
Flavio Amorim is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 06-27-2014, 08:45 PM
Member
 
eydsamoht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Amorim View Post
I am looking at buying a 1080p projector. Is the benq w1070 a good choice? Which one would you recommend?

The contrast of the h180x is 18000:1 not 4000:1

Thanks

So it is. I only looked at the Amazon listing which shows the HD66 and H180X side-by-side, and read off the wrong contrast ratio.


The BenQ w1070 was a top contender for when I was doing my setup because it boasts good color reproduction and brightness. I recall that the black levels were reported to be decent. Comparing it to your Optoma, though, I'm not sure if there'd be a lot of difference. Single chip DLP projectors aren't known for great black levels compared to 3-LCD or other high-end systems. With the w1070's top reviews and low price, it would have been a winner for me except for the limitations it has with throw distance. For my particular setup, I was not able to make it work (using calculations) with the only place I could mount it and the size of screen I needed. I looked at other DLP and some LCD projectors but couldn't find anything better. Eventually, I realized that by trying to keep costs minimum I was only putting myself in a position where I'd be buying a placeholder unit and unsatisfied long-term with the image from the sub $1000 projectors.


Before you get set on any particular model, a question you should answer is: what don't you like about your existing setup? If it's just resolution, that's an easy fix. If you're looking for great color reproduction, or intense blacks, or a more authentic cinematic look...those are other issues. For me, those last three things were really important to me, and so I had to substantially up my budget. I got an Epson 5030UB and haven't looked back. But, even that model was to facilitate my room, my screen, and my viewing conditions. They're not the same as yours.


If I had a dedicated room like yours, I'd be thinking about a 120" to 135" 2.35:1 screen using a 1.0 gain Stewart screen with a JVC or Sony 4k projector, aiming to get at least 16fL - 20fL image brightness. But that's some money right there, and for me, also a different house.
eydsamoht is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 06-27-2014, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 640
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Amorim View Post
I am looking at buying a 1080p projector. Is the benq w1070 a good choice? Which one would you recommend?

The contrast of the h180x is 18000:1 not 4000:1

Thanks
You've got a really good dedicated home theater setup, Flavio. Just put a curtain on that window and you're all set. I would switch out your projector first before looking for a screen. Forget about special screens for now. Put your money in a good projector.
ben38 is online now  
post #13 of 13 Old 06-27-2014, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 640
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Forgot to mention, Flavio. The BenQ1070 is an excellent buy. With a very good 1200-1300:1 contrast.
ben38 is online now  
Reply Screens
Gear in this thread - w1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off