Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-27-2014, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Black diamond zero edge 1.4 120" brightness problem

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a bd zero edge 1.4 (2.35:1) screen and are using it with a JVC X30.

My problem, and I hope there is a solution for it, is the brightness of the room even if the only light is coming from the projector. The consequence is that the black level and contrasts are not so nice.
I have to say my room (20m²) has completely white walls but I saw some pictures of other people with nearly the same setup who did not have such a problem.

Could you give me any advice?

Thanks and regards

Barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-27-2014, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryTrotter View Post
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a bd zero edge 1.4 (2.35:1) screen and are using it with a JVC X30.

My problem, and I hope there is a solution for it, is the brightness of the room even if the only light is coming from the projector. The consequence is that the black level and contrasts are not so nice.
I have to say my room (20m²) has completely white walls but I saw some pictures of other people with nearly the same setup who did not have such a problem.

Could you give me any advice?

Thanks and regards

Barry
That JVC you have is a beautiful projector, but it sure wasn't made for the environment you have it in. You really should look into darkening the walls in your room. The BD screen you have will help you, but it can't work miracles. Setting up the projector with the proper angle of reflectivity is the key to getting the best performance out of your screen. How do you have your projector mounted? What color temperature are you using? (You might have to leave it at 8500k or on Stage mode at the very least) Need more info.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-27-2014, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
That JVC you have is a beautiful projector, but it sure wasn't made for the environment you have it in. You really should look into darkening the walls in your room. The BD screen you have will help you, but it can't work miracles. Setting up the projector with the proper angle of reflectivity is the key to getting the best performance out of your screen. How do you have your projector mounted? What color temperature are you using? (You might have to leave it at 8500k or on Stage mode at the very least) Need more info.
Hey Ben,

thanks for your response:-). I thought so for painting the walls in a different color, but I would prefer not to paint the whole room. The screen I would say starts 0,8m above the ground and ends at a height of 2,05m. The beamer is placed on the opposite wall on a shelf in a height of about 1,90m. The distance between beamer and screen is 4,5m.
post #4 of 10 Old 06-27-2014, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The placement of your screen and projector is very good, Barry. Apart from moving the projector back another half meter or so, (I know that's not possible since it's already against the back wall)I don't see where you're going to get much more performance out of the screen. Getting good contrast is a tricky thing. The JVC X30, in a properly treated room, (Dark walls, dark ceiling, dark carpeting) will give you gloriously deep blacks with terrific shadow detail. But, this great projector is ill equipped to compete with white walls. (Even with a Black Diamond screen)
As much as it pains me to say this, Barry, if you absolutely can't repaint your room, I think It's time to look into getting a different projector more suited to a living room environment. (It pains me because I would never want to give up a JVC projector)
post #5 of 10 Old 06-27-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 392
If you cannot repaint and re-carpet, you might want to try creating a "black pit" around your screen. I am not sure if this will solve the issue really, but putting up some kind of 12-18" black wall-like surrounding around the screen might help.

post #6 of 10 Old 06-28-2014, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

hey,

yep the room is 30cm to small, so the JVC is nearly placed against the wall. Is there any special setup for the JVC and what is a living room projector and how can that reduce the reflected light?
Actually I am planning to move to an other city so I am going to search for a larger room for my setup. But I am really sure I dont want the whole living room painted in black ;-), so I think I might go for the black pit. Does that only include black color or is it possible to maybe use a dark red?

Thanks again for your helping answers.
post #7 of 10 Old 06-28-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The darker and flatter the color/material, the better.

In your next place, even if you don't want black walls, at least strive for a darker color (dark grey, dark navy blue, etc.) and make sure the paint is flat. The same for carpet. A black pit might also help still.

post #8 of 10 Old 06-28-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Here's something another forum member did. I was thinking something like this, but still taking it a bit further. See post 33 and the pics.

How Well Can You Control Ambient Daylight In Your Home Theater?

Last edited by DavidHir; 06-28-2014 at 11:32 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-28-2014, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Here's something another forum member did. I was thinking something like this, but still taking it a bit further. See post 33 and the pics.

How Well Can You Control Ambient Daylight In Your Home Theater?
looks nice, I think I can do that:-). Would a dark red be much worse than this dark black? If I could use dark red I think I would go for painting 10 to 15" of the side walls as well.

Btw. your setting looks nice as well;-)...too bad room space in Germany is so expensive in the big citys :-(.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-28-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks.

A flat dark burgundy would probably still help. You might want to search around a bit to see some color shade examples. I seem to recall some members using that kind of shade in their room. Just try to keep the shade very dark and flat.

Reply Screens
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page