Need some screen advise - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-30-2014, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need some screen advise

After thinking I had done my research I ordered a BenQ w1070 and an "Elite Screens 100 Inch 16:9 Spectrum Acoustically Transparent Electric Projector Screen". After installing everything I am experiencing a moré pattern in light scenes. I found some that say to defocus the projector to hide the moré, and well thats not acceptable... I reached out to Elite and they recommended either a non-acoustically transparent screen or their newer fabric on a fixed screen. (not currently available on a retractable screen)
http://www.amazon.com/Screens-R100WH...100wh1-a1080p3

My dilemma is that I prefer a retractable screen, as less can happen to the screen when its not in use. If I had to live without it, but I need a acoustically transparent screen. I'm looking for other suggestions, or options... I know Seymour comes highly recommend but their site is less than ideal and from what I can tell they start about $1100 before shipping.

Thanks for any ideas in advance,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-30-2014, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Do you have the ability to move the projector further away from the screen?
post #3 of 8 Old 07-01-2014, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I have plenty of space. It is currently ceiling mounted and 9ft away as recommended by the manual.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-01-2014, 04:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1745 View Post
Yes, I have plenty of space. It is currently ceiling mounted and 9ft away as recommended by the manual.
You can pull the projector back one more foot before the lens hits its zoom limit. At that point, the light will hit the screen at a slightly different angle. The extra distance will also change the focus slightly and reduce the amount of light a little. These little extras might do the trick. (You never know with an AT screen)
If this Doesn't work, then it's time to shop for another screen. Call as many companies as you can and get screen samples. Anyone shopping for an AT screen should always get samples to see if the weave of the material will work well with their projector. (With AT screens, it's not about which screen costs more or less, it's about which screen works for your setup.) Good Luck.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-01-2014, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The moiré effect becomes an issue when the sharp outlines of pixels from the projected image interact with the texture of the screen in such a way that areas of light cancellation occur due to phase changes in the reflected light. The defocusing trick works because the reduction of the hard pixel edge causes a more random scattering of light which cover up nodal interference. You can verify this by placing a smooth, white sheet of paper on your screen and watching the moiré pattern disappear in that area.

So, how to fix it? A reduction in the light intensity may help a little. Overscanning or underscanning the image might also work. A geometry change is also another idea. Try lowering or raising your projector, or tilt it up or down if you have vertical lens shift and keystone it (which serves to underscan). The best solution is to use a very smooth screen texture, or upgrade to 4K on the projector side but those aren't cheap fixes.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-02-2014, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas and I will try some of those options over the long weekend. If those do not work ill return this screen. Do you have any recommendations for a BenQ w1070 in my configuration? As mentioned I would like to find a retractable option that is reasonably priced. Thanks again for the great descriptions and assistance.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-04-2014, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for the information. I attempted to move the projector around and could not eliminate the moiré. I will be returning this screen and ordering a new one.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-05-2014, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Verifying that the screen causes the issue with something white is valid and I used a piece of poster board.

Giving up the focus required to eliminate it though is far from acceptable. I will be ordering a new screen and returning this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page