1Likes
  • 1 Post By eydsamoht

post #1 of 11 Old 07-03-2014, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Floating Screen Question

Hello all, I was planning on getting a Elite Screen Sable Frame screen, but I have a problem...

The area that I want to put the screen has a electrical outlet box in the way with a pipe headed up to the ceiling.

So, I while I have been considering making a rigid fixed DIY screen, I wonder if the best idea would be to make a backing for the Sable Frame to keep it rigid about 5 inches from the wall... Either that, or if the screen is rigid enough, just some "feet" to hold it away from the wall...

Anybody have any experience with something like this? Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-04-2014, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by whokilledkaji View Post
Hello all, I was planning on getting a Elite Screen Sable Frame screen, but I have a problem...

The area that I want to put the screen has a electrical outlet box in the way with a pipe headed up to the ceiling.

So, I while I have been considering making a rigid fixed DIY screen, I wonder if the best idea would be to make a backing for the Sable Frame to keep it rigid about 5 inches from the wall... Either that, or if the screen is rigid enough, just some "feet" to hold it away from the wall...

Anybody have any experience with something like this? Suggestions?
No experience with what you want to do, but I'm thinking the Sable frame is not rigid enough to be held up by feet unless you use a third center foot to prevent bowing. A more practical solution is to get a screen that doesn't have to be hung on the wall. Elite does sell different types of screens that you can pull up from the floor or are supported by legs.

There's their REFLEXION screens, which is basically a manual screen that pulls up from the floor. It comes in a 16:9 110 inch size for about 300 dollars.
There's their EZ Cinema screens, which is a manual pull up screen with better support than the reflexion. It comes in a 16:9 100 inch size for about 250 dollars, and a 16:9 120 inch size for about 400 dollars.
There's their KESTREL screens, which is a motorized screen coming up from the floor. These a quite pricey, with a 16:9 100 inch version costing over 1800 dollars. They even sell a 2.35:1 version of this screen, but again, quite pricey.
Another screen series they sell is the YARDMASTER screens. These screens are sold with outdoor use in mind. They're supported by two legs and a semi-rigid frame. You can get a 16:9 120 inch version for about 200 dollars.

These are just some from Elite. There are other companies with similar screens as well. Good luck.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-05-2014, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that info and I checked it out! Not sure that I want a pull up screen though. I could do a pull down I think, but I wanted a screen close to the wall...
post #4 of 11 Old 07-05-2014, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for that info and I checked it out! Not sure that I want a pull up screen though. I could do a pull down I think, but I wanted a screen close to the wall...
Sorry. I didn't suggest a pull down screen because you mentioned a pipe going up the wall possibly being an obstacle. (You mentioned you needed 5 inches of clearance from the wall.) If it's not an obstacle then a pull down screen would be the way to go. You will have to deal with waves on the screen if the screen is too big. (Unless you spend more money on a tab tensioned screen.) Good Luck.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-05-2014, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Here is the best picture that I have of the wall that I want to use. Can you guys see the pipe next to the old tv? Maybe I could just fit a screen between the pipe and where the wall ends? How long do you reckon that space is? I wanted to avoid getting too close to the edge, but maybe it's long enough for a 100-120 inch screen without lifting it off the wall.

Also, the ceiling would be easy to mount bookshelf speakers for Atmos, I think... I'm considering that...

Sorry that it's so messy... Been gone for 12 years!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	148986  
post #6 of 11 Old 07-05-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Perhaps hanging a fixed screen off the ceiling? I have a 12 foot ceiling, and I am trying to decide between hanging an AT screen or building a false wall.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-05-2014, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Here is the best picture that I have of the wall that I want to use. Can you guys see the pipe next to the old tv? Maybe I could just fit a screen between the pipe and where the wall ends? How long do you reckon that space is? I wanted to avoid getting too close to the edge, but maybe it's long enough for a 100-120 inch screen without lifting it off the wall.

Also, the ceiling would be easy to mount bookshelf speakers for Atmos, I think... I'm considering that...

Sorry that it's so messy... Been gone for 12 years!
Looks like you have enough wall to hang a good size screen on either side of the pipe. A fixed frame screen definitely looks doable to me.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-05-2014, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I don't see why you can't lag some 2x4s to your wall and build yourself a mounting surface around whatever obstacles are in the way.
ben38 likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-06-2014, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eydsamoht View Post
I don't see why you can't lag some 2x4s to your wall and build yourself a mounting surface around whatever obstacles are in the way.
That's pretty much what I was thinking... I don't want the screen too close to the edge and putting light behind the mounting surface sounds cool...

Just wondering if anybody tried this already?
post #10 of 11 Old 07-23-2014, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know how I missed this thread!

Floating Fixed Projector Screen Mount

Exactly what I needed to see! I think I'll need slightly shorter arms though.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-23-2014, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I hung a Carada 110in screen out from a wall by screwing eyebolts in to top of frame. Then I installed 2 ? mark looking bolts in studs in the ceiling then it was simple just lift screen up with 2 people and slide the hookeye bolts over the ? mark bolts/ Been their for 5 years.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page