Upgrading to Fixed Frame - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ben38
  • 1 Post By ben38

post #1 of 12 Old 07-06-2014, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Upgrading to Fixed Frame

I have had a projector for about a year now. I originally purchased a FAVI 100" electric, and it has developed some nasty waves and I really just leave it down all the time anyways, so I want to replace it with a fixed frame unit.

I'd rather not spend a TON of cash and was looking at the Elite SableFrame units. My concern was the FAVI is listed at a gain of 1.3, and the cinewhite is listed as a gain of 1.1, is this something I'm going to notice? I'm worried i will buy this and have it look like a downgrade (which would be very disappointing, obviously).

I'd be willing to spend a little more if it necessary, but I'm not sure what brands or models to look at, or if its even necessary. The Elites seem to get good reviews, I'm just concerned that since I already know what the FAVI image looks like, I'm going to be comparing them in my mind as soon as the new screen is up, and I don't want to find that (even though it shouldn't have the waves the FAVI does) the image quality has taken a step backward.

Ambient light can be mostly eliminated. There are only 2 small windows in the room, currently we can throw blankets over them to get nearly all of the light stopped, and I'm looking at building something to go over them that can be put up and taken back off to completely block them out. The walls are grey and ceiling are grey, the floors a deep blue, and i dont see to get too much reflection off of anything when watching.

I would appreciate any advise anyone can provide, or if anyone has first hand experience with both brands... or if anyone can suggest an alternative fixed frame option that won't break the bank.

EDIT: I see Screen Innovations has a lower priced 100" model for around $450. It is also a 1.1 gain. That is leading me to believe I'm putting too much stock in the FAVI having a 1.3 gain. But now I'm also wondering if it would be worth the extra $200 to get the Screen Innovations unit...

Last edited by mattbooty; 07-07-2014 at 05:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-07-2014, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

I've been going back through old posts on the forum and came across one suggesting the Elite CineGrey 5D material. I didn't think I had much ambient light, but considering I do have white walls and ceiling I'm starting to think maybe I have more ambient light from the projector than I thought I did. I'm now thinking maybe I should consider this over the ones I was looking at above. I contacted Elite screens to see if I could get samples to test the difference between the two.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-07-2014, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

I also left out, I'm using an Epson 8350 projector at about a 15' distance back from the screen.
post #4 of 12 Old 07-08-2014, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbooty View Post
I also left out, I'm using an Epson 8350 projector at about a 15' distance back from the screen.
Here's a video I shot a couple of weeks ago showing my Cinegrey5d in my loft living room. My walls are a light tan color, and my ceiling is white. Ceiling height is 14 feet.

post #5 of 12 Old 07-08-2014, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your response.

The CineGrey 5D looks really good in that video. At night when its dark does it still look very good? Is there anything you are unhappy about with it? Does the grey screen interfere with the whites in the picture at all?

I have samples on the way, but for how small they are i'm not sure how much i'm actually going to be able to tell from them.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-08-2014, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

I saw you have posted a few videos on youtube. They are all great examples, thank you for those! One of them looked like it was in a lower light scenario and the image appeared to still be very good.

Is there anything that you don't like about the cinegrey5d?
post #7 of 12 Old 07-08-2014, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you for your response.

The CineGrey 5D looks really good in that video. At night when its dark does it still look very good? Is there anything you are unhappy about with it? Does the grey screen interfere with the whites in the picture at all?

I have samples on the way, but for how small they are i'm not sure how much i'm actually going to be able to tell from them.
It looks great in the dark. It's a fairly color neutral material, so all the colors look like they're supposed to, including white.
It's difficult to judge a screens performance using a screen sample because you're not going to calibrate your projector for a small piece of material. If your screen is adjusted the way you like it for a white screen, when you put a grey screen sample in front It'll look good in terms of contrast but terrible in terms of color, and with lots of bright sparkles and dull whites. If i put a Stewart Studiotek 100 sample (Probably the best low gain white screen on the market) in front of my Cinegrey 5D screen, it would look pretty bad because my projector has had its color and brightness settings adjusted for a grey screen.
The Cinegrey 5D (and every light rejecting screen I've ever seen) is weak when it comes to having a uniform brightness across the entire screen. I'm not unhappy about the screen because of that. It's something I've accepted as a bad thing i can live with in exchange for all the good it does. I point this out to you because it's something that people who are used to a white screen have a big problem with.
mattbooty likes this.
post #8 of 12 Old 07-08-2014, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Great, thank you for your impressions, I will post my results once I've gotten the samples and what I decide on in case it helps anyone else.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-09-2014, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to add a picture of where the screen is going, as you can see the ceiling and walls are white, but there won't be any light coming in from outside (you can see in picture its not the brightest in there even with the lights turned up all the way).

a) would this be a problem for a 1.1 gain screen (my current screen seems fine, is advertised as 1.3 gain, but being an inexpensive screen i'm not sure how legit that is)?

b) would it be beneficial for me to pin some black cloth up to the front half of the ceiling to dim ambient reflections off the tile?

Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2796.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	154681  
post #10 of 12 Old 07-09-2014, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I wanted to add a picture of where the screen is going, as you can see the ceiling and walls are white, but there won't be any light coming in from outside (you can see in picture its not the brightest in there even with the lights turned up all the way).

a) would this be a problem for a 1.1 gain screen (my current screen seems fine, is advertised as 1.3 gain, but being an inexpensive screen i'm not sure how legit that is)?

b) would it be beneficial for me to pin some black cloth up to the front half of the ceiling to dim ambient reflections off the tile?

Thanks again
With about 3 feet or so of black cloth on the ceiling, you can definitely use a 1.1 gain white screen. It will help quite a bit.
Your present FAVI screen probably doesn't put out much more gain than regular blackout cloth. (About .95 real world gain) Don't know for sure, but that's been my general experience with budget screens.
mattbooty likes this.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-10-2014, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for your input, I'm going to black out the ceiling tiles this weekend and will post results of that and the screen once I decide (i already ordered samples so I might as well wait for those before a final decision).
post #12 of 12 Old 07-18-2014, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

So I wanted to post my findings. I got samples for the elite cinewhite, cinegrey5d, and screen innotations matte white.

The SI, despite being the bigger name company, had an odd color to it. It seemed to darken the blacks some, but the lighter colors had a bluish grey tint to them. It could have been my set up, or possibly that despite SI being a bigger name, this was their budget material so not their strongest product.

The cinegrey5d material was bright, but after seeing firsthand the viewing angles and hot spotting of a high gain screen I knew it wasn't for me.

For me, the cinewhite was the best material I tested. As to its comparison to my current FAVI screen, the original purpose of this thread, it was very close but I give the elite the edge. Keeping in mind it was a 100" screen with an 8x8 sample attached, during motion the sample almost blended into the screen, they were that similar. When pausing at different points I could see the color reproduction on the elite was better than the favi. Not a ton, but noticeable. I think over the entirety of the 100" screen it will be more so.

thanks to ben38 for the help, hopefully if anyone is making a similar decision these impressions will help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page