Custom screen size to fit both 16:9 and 2.35 ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-11-2014, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Custom screen size to fit both 16:9 and 2.35 ?

So mid way through parting my (first) budget projector setup I realize that a 2.35 image is what I would look at most of the time. I already have the projector (BenQ W5000 with a brand new lamp) and all the rest of the equipment. I was just hesitant on the screen size... until now !

The timeline went like this : I was first really happy to see that I could shot a good quality 2.35 image with the W5000. Then got really disappointed to learn that I would be stuck with 2.35 and had to forget thinking watching 16:9. Then got really happy again learning that I could zoom and pan the image. And then got super disappointed again to learn that I needed a 1.33x zoom in order to get everything to fit the same screen size (which the W5000 do not have, only has 1.20x).

After depressing for a while I decided to take a pen and start drawing some ideas. And that's when I realize I could fit both aspect ratios on the same screen if I could tolerate a 2" band at the top and bottom instead of scaling down my 2.35 image in a 16:9 frame.

FYI My setup is only limited by the location of the projector : 17 ft, cannot go further back. It will be ceiling mounted and the screen has to be retractable as it will be going down the flatscreen.

I calculated that, shoting from 16'7", my W5000 is able to project a 108" wide image in a 2.35 format (46" high). That's zoomed to the max (1.20x).
If I unzoom to 1.0 and shot a 16:9 image, I get a 51" high image.

So, if I manage to get a 108" wide and 51" high screen, both images would fit with minimal image height adjustments and lot's of zooming !!!

Now that screen size is definitely not standard. I'll be doing some phone calls soon to know if it's feasible or if it would be cheaper to change projector (which I hope not !).

Anybody looked into this before ? Or is there something I am missing which would ruin my plan ?

Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srt-What View Post
So mid way through parting my (first) budget projector setup I realize that a 2.35 image is what I would look at most of the time. I already have the projector (BenQ W5000 with a brand new lamp) and all the rest of the equipment. I was just hesitant on the screen size... until now !

The timeline went like this : I was first really happy to see that I could shot a good quality 2.35 image with the W5000. Then got really disappointed to learn that I would be stuck with 2.35 and had to forget thinking watching 16:9. Then got really happy again learning that I could zoom and pan the image. And then got super disappointed again to learn that I needed a 1.33x zoom in order to get everything to fit the same screen size (which the W5000 do not have, only has 1.20x).

After depressing for a while I decided to take a pen and start drawing some ideas. And that's when I realize I could fit both aspect ratios on the same screen if I could tolerate a 2" band at the top and bottom instead of scaling down my 2.35 image in a 16:9 frame.

FYI My setup is only limited by the location of the projector : 17 ft, cannot go further back. It will be ceiling mounted and the screen has to be retractable as it will be going down the flatscreen.

I calculated that, shoting from 16'7", my W5000 is able to project a 108" wide image in a 2.35 format (46" high). That's zoomed to the max (1.20x).
If I unzoom to 1.0 and shot a 16:9 image, I get a 51" high image.

So, if I manage to get a 108" wide and 51" high screen, both images would fit with minimal image height adjustments and lot's of zooming !!!

Now that screen size is definitely not standard. I'll be doing some phone calls soon to know if it's feasible or if it would be cheaper to change projector (which I hope not !).

Anybody looked into this before ? Or is there something I am missing which would ruin my plan ?

Thanks for the input.

Seeing as you watch mostly 2.35:1 content, why not just get a 2.35:1 screen and a Panamorph CineVista anamorphic lens? You could get a 52" x 122" 2.35:1 screen, and still have a decent sized 16:9 picture. The lens does the 1.33:1 picture expansion.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Old 07-14-2014, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Hello Craig,

Thank you for the suggestion. I did take a brief look at the lens option. I seems like the most efficient way of projecting 2.35, I agree.

There are two reasons why I will most likely not go this way.
1) I do also watch a good amount of 16:9 movies (god bless movie network in HD). I'd say close to 50% of the content I watch is 16:9, the other half is 2.35.
2) This is my first projector home theater. I prefer taking small steps for now, see how satisfied I am of the overall setup before starting purchasing expensive piece of equipment.

Regarding the 122" screen, yes it would provide a larger 16:9 image, but I'd need to double check if I can afford the extra 2 ft of throw without falling in the dining room...
Old 07-14-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srt-What View Post
Hello Craig,

Thank you for the suggestion. I did take a brief look at the lens option. I seems like the most efficient way of projecting 2.35, I agree.

There are two reasons why I will most likely not go this way.
1) I do also watch a good amount of 16:9 movies (god bless movie network in HD). I'd say close to 50% of the content I watch is 16:9, the other half is 2.35.
2) This is my first projector home theater. I prefer taking small steps for now, see how satisfied I am of the overall setup before starting purchasing expensive piece of equipment.

Regarding the 122" screen, yes it would provide a larger 16:9 image, but I'd need to double check if I can afford the extra 2 ft of throw without falling in the dining room...

When you said " I realize that a 2.35 image is what I would look at most of the time " - I took that to mean you watch mostly 2.35:1 movies. If that's not the case, and this is your first theater, just start out with a 16:9 screen. You'll be able to watch everything on it.
Srt-What likes this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Old 07-14-2014, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

The more I think about it the more I lean toward this option. I called a place called "VisionHD" here in Quebec and they can make one up for me, same price as regular 2.35 screen of equivalent dimension
notbad.jpg

Being limited by a regular 8 ft ceiling, 51in of image height is the highest I can go, give or take few inches. If I can recess the screen between the joist the way I'm planning, when watching a 2.35 format movie, I'll have 6in of black border at the top of the screen, the upper 2.5" projected black bar, the 46" high image, the lower 2.5" black bar, 2" of black border, and 36" approx of space for my entertainment cabinet and central speaker.

Yep, I'm convinced.

Custom 2.35 screen
51 in high, 108in wide screen
118" viewable diagonal
(2.5in of black bars at the top and bottom)

16:9 screen
51 in high, 90in wide
103" viewable diagonal

Old 07-15-2014, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Since you'll never have a flat border around the projected area of the image, why not just project on a wall after it has been smoothed down and painted? It's a way cheaper option than a custom screen which you may not be happy with. And if you don't like it after a trial period, then order a screen.
Srt-What likes this.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eydsamoht View Post
Since you'll never have a flat border around the projected area of the image, why not just project on a wall after it has been smoothed down and painted? It's a way cheaper option than a custom screen which you may not be happy with. And if you don't like it after a trial period, then order a screen.
Thanks for the suggestion. I had tough about that, especially since I'm painting all the living room white !

But there is a good reason why I have to go for a screen : there is a 50" plasma behind the screen for day time / non-movie watching (and when wife wants to just watch her "small screen stuff")

I will however do all the test on the white wall before ordering the screen and fixing the ceiling mount. I need to confirm all the dimensions first !

And the store I called for the custom screen told me there is a approximate 2" black frame on both side of the screen, 20" at the top and something like 2" at the bottom.

Last edited by Srt-What; 07-15-2014 at 05:50 PM.