JVC RS46/X35 user, how big can I go with an acoustically transparent screen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-13-2014, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
JVC RS46/X35 user, how big can I go with an acoustically transparent screen?

So looks like I'm going full audiophile. I just bought a pair of Klipsch KPT-904 speakers which can really only work behind a screen. So whats the largest I can go with an acoustically transparent screen? I want at least 120", and thinking I can push it to 130" or maybe even 140"?

Also I'm looking at Seymour XD or UF material for the screen. They seem to have very pleasing materials, and aren't crazy expensive. The XD has a higher gain, but the UF is a finer textured material, which should make it less distracting. I'm coming from a high power screen, so texture is a worry.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Snake Plissken

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-13-2014, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post
So looks like I'm going full audiophile. I just bought a pair of Klipsch KPT-904 speakers which can really only work behind a screen. So whats the largest I can go with an acoustically transparent screen? I want at least 120", and thinking I can push it to 130" or maybe even 140"?

Also I'm looking at Seymour XD or UF material for the screen. They seem to have very pleasing materials, and aren't crazy expensive. The XD has a higher gain, but the UF is a finer textured material, which should make it less distracting. I'm coming from a high power screen, so texture is a worry.
You can go to 140 (or even 160) inches no problem if you have the room for it. Coming from a high power screen to an AT screen is going to give you a much dimmer picture, so you might want to keep the size at 120 inches. (With those gigantic speakers you bought, you might need more screen though) You don't say what your seating position is. If it's at least 12 feet or so, Texture shouldn't be an issue, so you should use the XD for the extra gain. Good Luck.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-13-2014, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah the seating will be around 12ft from the screen. I do worry about the image being dimmer, but it's just something I'll have to get used to.

140 might be a happy enough medium, don't think I'd push to 160. Room isn't going to be an issue, the room will be at least 14ft wide with an 8ft ceiling.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-13-2014, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post
Yeah the seating will be around 12ft from the screen. I do worry about the image being dimmer, but it's just something I'll have to get used to.

140 might be a happy enough medium, don't think I'd push to 160. Room isn't going to be an issue, the room will be at least 14ft wide with an 8ft ceiling.
According to the accucalhd screen tests, the actual screen gain for the Seymour centerstage XD material is .94 . (Compared to the high power 2.4, which is 1.88, and the high power 2.8, which is 1.82) This is a very big drop in screen gain. (You should be fine once you calibrate for your new screen and keep your room dark dark dark) Was just a little worried knowing what you're used to. Your new theater room sounds like it's gonna be a blast when you're finished. Good luck.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-13-2014, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh it will be a true batcave. Flat black for the screen wall, rear wall and ceiling. I'm debating between dark red for the side walls or keep it all black, the carpet either being dark grey or dark red.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page