Silverticket 120" matte gray screen $300 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-19-2014, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Silverticket 120" matte gray screen $300

Has anyone here had any experience with Silverticket's matte gray screen? The price is enticing, but I'm curious how it would perform next to a screen like the cinegray 5d.

Link http://www.amazon.com/STR-169120-G-S...jection+screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-19-2014, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedeeze View Post
Has anyone here had any experience with Silverticket's matte gray screen? The price is enticing, but I'm curious how it would perform next to a screen like the cinegray 5d.

Link http://www.amazon.com/STR-169120-G-S...jection+screen
Looks just like the regular Elite Cinegrey material.(Not Angular reflective) No way will it be as bright as the Cinegrey 5D, but brightness uniformity should be better.

Last edited by ben38; 07-19-2014 at 01:51 PM.
post #3 of 13 Old 07-19-2014, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
Looks just like the regular Elite Cinegrey material.(Not Angular reflective) No way will it be as bright as the Cinegrey 5D, but brightness uniformity should be better.
Thank you for the reply. I made post a few days ago about painting my wall gray, but I came across the silverticket and it looked like a great deal.

Any chance you might be able to help me with my screen choice?
In a nutshell I'm just really having a tough time figuring out what approach to take.

I want to be able to play some games and watch movies in my room with some ambient light, and I'd also like a boost to contrast. If a little brightness is lost I would be okay with it.

How much brightness would you estimate would be lost if I used the silverticket screen rather than a white one, projecting from 13 feet away with a benq w1070? Do you think I would have improved contrast and be able to watch with some ambient light? Is some brightness the only thing that is lost? Also, picture uniformity is important to me.

The room I'll be using is not a dedicated theater and I will have a sliding door off to the left of the screen, but no windows other than that. The walls and ceilings are off white.

I should mention that this is my first projector and this will be my first screen. I'd be willing to pay up to $500 for the screen if it makes a huge difference. Looking for 120"

Thank you!
post #4 of 13 Old 07-20-2014, 03:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you for the reply. I made post a few days ago about painting my wall gray, but I came across the silverticket and it looked like a great deal.

Any chance you might be able to help me with my screen choice?
In a nutshell I'm just really having a tough time figuring out what approach to take.

I want to be able to play some games and watch movies in my room with some ambient light, and I'd also like a boost to contrast. If a little brightness is lost I would be okay with it.

How much brightness would you estimate would be lost if I used the silverticket screen rather than a white one, projecting from 13 feet away with a benq w1070? Do you think I would have improved contrast and be able to watch with some ambient light? Is some brightness the only thing that is lost? Also, picture uniformity is important to me.

The room I'll be using is not a dedicated theater and I will have a sliding door off to the left of the screen, but no windows other than that. The walls and ceilings are off white.

I should mention that this is my first projector and this will be my first screen. I'd be willing to pay up to $500 for the screen if it makes a huge difference. Looking for 120"

Thank you!
With a bright room like you're describing , Joe, there are trade-offs involved. Before we get to screens, Let's talk about your projector.

The projector you're planning on using (Benq w1070) has phenomenal light output in every mode, (1700 plus lumens in Normal lamp, 1300 plus lumens in Eco) which is a great starting off point. Lots of projectors make claims of high light output, but those are usually in their highest Dynamic modes which give up color accuracy in return for more light. When asked to put out in more natural color modes, they always fall way short of the Benq1070. The Only Home theater projector I know of that can put out as much light as the Benq1070 in all its modes is the Sony hw40es at about 2.5 times the price. The Panasonic ae-8000 is even brighter in some modes, but at 2.5 to 3 times the price. So, really you have the best bang for the buck with the Benq1070.

The reason I'm talking so much about the Benq's light output is because, with such a bright projector, you should first see how much of an ambient light problem you have before you start thinking about what screen to use. My advise to you, Joe, as a first time projector user, is to set up your projector and project it on your bare white walls. The Results may happily surprise you. Or at the very least, give you a much more accurate idea of what direction you want to go in terms of what screen to use. Good Luck, and report back your results. Then We'll talk about screens.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-21-2014, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
With a bright room like you're describing , Joe, there are trade-offs involved. Before we get to screens, Let's talk about your projector.

The projector you're planning on using (Benq w1070) has phenomenal light output in every mode, (1700 plus lumens in Normal lamp, 1300 plus lumens in Eco) which is a great starting off point. Lots of projectors make claims of high light output, but those are usually in their highest Dynamic modes which give up color accuracy in return for more light. When asked to put out in more natural color modes, they always fall way short of the Benq1070. The Only Home theater projector I know of that can put out as much light as the Benq1070 in all its modes is the Sony hw40es at about 2.5 times the price. The Panasonic ae-8000 is even brighter in some modes, but at 2.5 to 3 times the price. So, really you have the best bang for the buck with the Benq1070.

The reason I'm talking so much about the Benq's light output is because, with such a bright projector, you should first see how much of an ambient light problem you have before you start thinking about what screen to use. My advise to you, Joe, as a first time projector user, is to set up your projector and project it on your bare white walls. The Results may happily surprise you. Or at the very least, give you a much more accurate idea of what direction you want to go in terms of what screen to use. Good Luck, and report back your results. Then We'll talk about screens.
Ben,

Thanks for the input! I'm moving into a new condo in a week and a half, so I'll set up the projector and check it out when I get there. Right now I'm projecting on a grayish/green wall and can't believe how good the 1070 looks on such a sub-optimal surface. My new walls are off-white so that will give me a good understanding of what the projector will look like on a white screen.

My question to you is this - what I'm I looking for when I test out the projector on the wall? How will I know what type of screen to get?

Also, is it normal to see more clarity in the projector when I go from 135" to 120"? I've been playing some PS4 on it and it seems like it looks much better at 120 than 135. Just wondering if this is normal.

Thanks for all the help!!!
post #6 of 13 Old 07-22-2014, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The smaller you make the pic the better it will look. Thats the trade off. So you need to find what you will be happy with. Your screen gaim will help determine this. I find 120in to 125in to be about the largest I like with a average gain of 1.3 and a average projector
post #7 of 13 Old 07-22-2014, 04:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ben,

Thanks for the input! I'm moving into a new condo in a week and a half, so I'll set up the projector and check it out when I get there. Right now I'm projecting on a grayish/green wall and can't believe how good the 1070 looks on such a sub-optimal surface. My new walls are off-white so that will give me a good understanding of what the projector will look like on a white screen.

My question to you is this - what I'm I looking for when I test out the projector on the wall? How will I know what type of screen to get?

Also, is it normal to see more clarity in the projector when I go from 135" to 120"? I've been playing some PS4 on it and it seems like it looks much better at 120 than 135. Just wondering if this is normal.

Thanks for all the help!!!
What you're looking for is a picture that is satisfyingly bright, sharp, and with good contrast in a room with bright walls. If you're not happy, then you start looking to ideally darken your room. If that's not an option, then it's time to look at specialty screens.
The room you're projecting in now, if all the walls are grayish green as you say, then you have walls with a reflectivity rating probably in the low to mid 30's, which is why your picture looks pretty good. When you move into the white room, your reflectivity rating will be 100 or very close to 100. (Black is 0, White is 100) This much reflectivity will surely wash out your picture. To what degree of washing out you can live with is up to you.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-22-2014, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Sorry, Joe. Got called away before i could finish.

Yes. A 120 inch picture will look clearer than a 135 inch picture because the projector can concentrate more light on the smaller screen. Also, if your projector is in a fixed position, and you are zooming the picture to vary the size, the 120 inch picture may also have better focus because you're moving the lens more to the center of its zoom range. (Where lenses are at their sharpest) When you increase the size, you're moving the lens to the limit of its range. (Where sharpness and brightness start to fall off)
post #9 of 13 Old 07-24-2014, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
you are right,i agree with you,Yes. A 120 inch picture will look clearer than a 135 inch picture because the projector can concentrate more light on the smaller screen. Also, if your projector is in a fixed position, and you are zooming the picture to vary the size, the 120 inch picture may also have better focus because you're moving [IMG]http://*******/WNKpGN[/IMG]the lens more to the center of its zoom range. thanks
post #10 of 13 Old 07-30-2014, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to follow up on this thread. I found my picture was washed out in my new place so I purchased this screen. Will be setting it up tomorrow and I'll post my impressions if anyone is curious.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-31-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Just wanted to follow up on this thread. I found my picture was washed out in my new place so I purchased this screen. Will be setting it up tomorrow and I'll post my impressions if anyone is curious.
Yes, I'm curious. I will be moving into a new construction house with a dedicated theater. I'm looking at that screen for an Optoma dlp projector.

post #12 of 13 Old 07-31-2014, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post
Yes, I'm curious. I will be moving into a new construction house with a dedicated theater. I'm looking at that screen for an Optoma dlp projector.
For a dedicated theater room, you wont need a grey screen. A low gain white screen is all your Optoma projector will need for a bright, uniform picture.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-01-2014, 11:23 AM
DIY Grand Dad (w/help)

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
For a dedicated theater room, you wont need a grey screen. A low gain white screen is all your Optoma projector will need for a bright, uniform picture.
That would depend upon the model Optoma. Many models have low contrast and sub-Theater Quality Black levels. Brightness does not always equate to a balanced image, and all too often can detract from other very important aspects of a image's appearance. Add in a White surface and basically you can get a negative result...on in the least a diminishing return.

To witt:
Quote:
Oft times a light Neutral Gray surface can radically improve perceived contrast without overtly affecting White balance and dynamic color rendition. In fact, a light Gray can enhance Color depth and saturation, as well and improve subtle shadow detail that gets lost on a White screen.

Certainly some PJs with uber Contrast specs can get by quite nicely with a 1.0 gain Matte White. However there are only a very few Optomas that come close to really qualifying for that honor.

I like Bright Optoma s, brook no mistake....but I often mitigate their lack of Contrast by employing a Gray surface. Sometimes a bight PJ set on Economy output and hitting a Gray surface results in the absolute best of both worlds.

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
Reply Screens
Gear in this thread - 120 by PriceGrabber.com