Using Textilene 90 drop shade as screen for outdoor projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-23-2014, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Using Textilene 90 drop shade as screen for outdoor projector

I recently had a white 11' wide solar shade installed on the exterior of our house to block out light and heat from the west-facing patio doors in our family room. The shade is partially transparent when looking out but it's opaque looking in. The material is Textilene 90%.

Has anyone had any experience using something like this as a screen for a projector for use outside?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-24-2014, 04:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_k View Post
I recently had a white 11' wide solar shade installed on the exterior of our house to block out light and heat from the west-facing patio doors in our family room. The shade is partially transparent when looking out but it's opaque looking in. The material is Textilene 90%.

Has anyone had any experience using something like this as a screen for a projector for use outside?
Sounds interesting and somewhat possible. Can't recall anyone on the DIY Screens or Outdoor Theater Forums having ever mentioned it before though.

One sure way to find out is to shoot a projected image onto it at night. Logic suggests though that although it looks opaque on the outside, if one can view any light coming through from the inside, what is happening is attenuation through a combination of reflection and absorption. Much like a Acoustic Transparent Screen allows a greater degree of light as well as audio to pass through than a solid Vinyl screen does.

In your case, multi-tasking might still be possible if the degree of reflection is much greater than absorption. One thing though....your almost assuredly going to have yourself a Rear Projection set-up going on as well....., to some degree. On the other hand, it very well also might work in reverse too!

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #3 of 4 Old 07-25-2014, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. At night you can definitely see light from the inside when the lamps are turned on. Can you explain what you mean by a rear projection setup?

My dilemma is that I don't have a projector to test. Any recommendations on which one to buy, and where to buy it so I can return it easily if it doesn't work out? The video source would be a Roku 3 (wireless streaming from Netflix or Plex), and I'm thinking I could use the line in on a bluetooth speaker (Creative D100) for audio.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-01-2014, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

I was thinking of buying an Optoma H180X from my local Best Buy (it was the cheapest 720p projector available at $450 and it got pretty good reviews on Amazon) so I can easily return it if it doesn't work out. Any experience with this projector or recommendations for a cheaper HD-capable alternative?
Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page