Seeking 99% light-blocking window tutorial. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-24-2014, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Seeking 99% light-blocking window tutorial.

Hi, I know almost nothing about window treatments but what little I know, having owned many projectors, is that basic blackout drapes/curtains will not be enough for me. I need a "cornice" or some sort of heavy duty "valence" across the top, and maybe Velcro/magnets(?) for the sides.

My concerns must be common but I don't even know which forum to address my questions. Do we have a sticky thread on light control window treatments anywhere or is there some good external link to teach me about this stuff?

Thanks in advance.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-24-2014, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Have you seen this? Have not tried it myself. Maybe others have. http://betterdaysleep.com/
post #3 of 14 Old 07-24-2014, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. More info along those lines is helpful. Velcro on all four sides looks good but maybe not for people who need to open the drapes often, like me. I was hoping for a fairly sealed top, not sure how to do the bottom?, and one edge, and only having to do the Velcro reapplying action along one edge, each time I open/close the drapes.

A cornice over the top traps the light on the top and instead of two panels of curtains which opens in the middle I'd have one very wide panel which opens to one side and is held open with a tie down, I think they call it.

A "cornice", for those who don't know what it is [like me 2 days ago]:
post #4 of 14 Old 07-25-2014, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I used blackoutez.com's product with pretty good success. If you have wide window frames it will work great!
post #5 of 14 Old 07-29-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Thanks. More info along those lines is helpful. Velcro on all four sides looks good but maybe not for people who need to open the drapes often, like me. I was hoping for a fairly sealed top, not sure how to do the bottom?, and one edge, and only having to do the Velcro reapplying action along one edge, each time I open/close the drapes.

A cornice over the top traps the light on the top and instead of two panels of curtains which opens in the middle I'd have one very wide panel which opens to one side and is held open with a tie down, I think they call it.

A "cornice", for those who don't know what it is [like me 2 days ago]:
Use foam rope (it's all foam, but round like a rope silohuette) stuffed in around the edges of your cornice boxes to block light getting through where it meets the wall. Works great here.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #6 of 14 Old 07-29-2014, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've seen several people recommend BlackoutEZ:
http://blackoutez.com/
post #7 of 14 Old 07-29-2014, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That blackoutez looks great, but not for people like me who needs to open the blinds and re-shut them on a daily basis. The website says it "installs in minutes". I need "installs in seconds/removes neatly in seconds, all by just pulling a convenient string/chain". [or along those lines]

Thanks though.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #8 of 14 Old 07-29-2014, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Have you seen these? http://www.amazon.com/Thermalogic-Ul...pr_product_top
Have not tried them myself. Some earlier reviews complain of an emanating odor, but later reviews state no odors.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-30-2014, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
That blackoutez looks great, but not for people like me who needs to open the blinds and re-shut them on a daily basis. The website says it "installs in minutes". I need "installs in seconds/removes neatly in seconds, all by just pulling a convenient string/chain". [or along those lines]

Thanks though.

You are right! If you want to open the blinds daily it won't work. But if you want absolute light control I doubt any quicker solution will work either...
post #10 of 14 Old 07-30-2014, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In college me and my girlfriend shared our two dormitory rooms. As it turned out my room became our bedroom and her room became the day room. There was no reason for any sunlight needs for the bedroom, ever, so I lined the windows, entirely, with aluminum foil. The room was 100% light tight, 24/7, except of course when you turned the room's lights on and also a small crack of light which emanated from the bottom of the door from the hallway light (which was minor).

This blackoutez would probably accomplish the same thing so I am confident I have experienced what it can do and I must say it is quite effective. It is quite eerie when the only illumination your room gets is from the little LEDs which are on things like cable boxes and other electrical appliances. I recommend it to all if you have a situation where it can be used.

post #11 of 14 Old 08-20-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
This blackoutez would probably accomplish the same thing so I am confident I have experienced what it can do and I must say it is quite effective. It is quite eerie when the only illumination your room gets is from the little LEDs which are on things like cable boxes and other electrical appliances. I recommend it to all if you have a situation where it can be used.
Now I'm trying to kill all of those, too.

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
post #12 of 14 Old 08-20-2014, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There are companies which make neutral density filters for them. I bought some once and they do work.

post #13 of 14 Old 09-01-2014, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
great,A cornice over the top traps the light on the top and instead of two panels of curtains which opens in the middle I'd have one very wide panel which opens to one side and is held open with a tie down, I think they call [IMG]http://*******/Wdbwyv[/IMG]it.
post #14 of 14 Old 09-02-2014, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Since I rent, I don't own, I didn't want to spend too much on a place I may leave in a year or two. Here's what I did and it worked out quite well for not too much money [although it isn't "perfect"]:

I bought a large single panel curtain [so no light leak in the center of two panels where they meet, as dresseflip above mentions], very tall so it extends almost all the way from floor to ceiling (even though the actual window doesn't), I put it on a "Blockaide" curtain rod so it wraps around to the wall when shut, and then sealed the sides to the wall not with Velcro, but rather with a couple of cheap rectangular fridge magnets I bought at a hardware store for $2.50 each. Lucky for me the framing of my giant window already has metal (invisible to me, inside the wall) for my magnets to cling to. I bought the curtain and Barricade/Blockaide curtain rod on the "big river in South America" site [not sure if I am allowed to say their name]:

- "Black Nickel Grommet Top Thermal Insulated Blackout Curtain 100 Inch Wide By 108 Inch Long Panel"

[For my particularly wide window this was barely wide enough when extended, but I improved it by adding black shower curtain rings I bought for $1.19 per a set of ten at a department store. This allows the curtain to lie flat instead of rippled wave shaped when the grommets are instead used directly]

- "Source Global Barricade Window Rods, 96-Inch by 144-Inch, Pewter"

-"Hold Everything Magnets" by "Master Magnetics"

[I bought 4 purple ones from a hardware store display box of 60 or so, and for the most part it is enough. Fancy schmancy people might consider painting them the color of the curtain, but since I only use them in dark theater mode I hardly see the need. ]

I mention all of these products in case some future person looking to achieve good results, for not a lot of money, needs some pointers.

Last edited by m. zillch; 09-02-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page