New screen advice needed please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2014, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New screen advice needed please

Hi , I have a panasonic 4000u projector and need a screen 120" for under $600. Room will be open but used mainly for movies at night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2014, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You can get a 120' vapex screen for $399 shipped. Better frame and bang for your buck than elite, but they don't have gray available if you were considering it.
ben38 likes this.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrell78 View Post
You can get a 120' vapex screen for $399 shipped. Better frame and bang for your buck than elite, but they don't have gray available if you were considering it.
I'm just starting to research a screen... I need a 110 or 120. What makes the VApex screen better than the Elite?

thx for the info!

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 110" DIY Screen & BenQ W1070
Old 08-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin View Post
I'm just starting to research a screen... I need a 110 or 120. What makes the VApex screen better than the Elite?

thx for the info!
The white screens are about the same in performance. They're very similar in that they use the same rod and tab system to attach the material to the frame. The big difference is in the frames. the Vapex frame is a very strong squared off and beveled 4 inch aluminum frame with a very nice black velvet covering. The Elite Sable frame is a thinner (2.3 inch) and weaker rounded aluminum frame with a poorly sprayed on velvet covering. The Elite EZ frame is squared off and beveled with a good velvet covering like the Vapex, but it's still much thinner and weaker. The Elite screens come with a center support bar to stiffen the frame further. The Vapex frame is so strong, no center support is needed.
I've owned both. Only gave up the Vapex because I moved to a lighter room and needed a gray screen.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
ben38,
great explanation... thank you!

________
Ltek

my setup: XBMC, Windows Media Center, Z-Wave/Insteon automation, Paradigm-Parasound-Onkyo-Velodyne Home Theater, 110" DIY Screen & BenQ W1070

Gear in this thread - 4000u by PriceGrabber.com