Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 08-17-2002, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Screen Goo saga:

I recently painted my MDF screen (details here) with High Gain CRT goo from goosystems. Actually I painted it twice...

The first time I rolled the primer on, no problems, looking great. Then I rolled on the goo, hung the screen and as it cured I noticed a very uneven gain. While rolling I kept thinking... KBK really recommends spraying this, but since the room is finished and the board does not easily go up the stairs, I'll try rolling it, thereby rationalizing my decision.

After a month of living with this, I took it down, built a makeshift spraybooth in the storage room and sprayed the screen again with the remaining goo using a Wagner Power Painter. Even before it was dry I could see this was the way it should have been done the first time, then disaster struck. I knew I was near the end of the paint supply, but I felt I could get a few more passes out of it...wrong! The next burst of paint ended with the sprayer flinging fat paint goobers across part of the screen.

I tried integrating the globs with a foam brush, and thought it was ok, so after it dried I rehung the screen and tried it out. The area where the paint globs were had a higher on axis gain than the rest of the screen, resulting in dreaded hot spotting. I tried touching up that part with the last of the goo and a foam brush, but this made it worse.

Finally I found a solution, short of repainting the screen. I used some 150 fine grit sandpaper and gave the hot spots a once over lightly. Fired up the projector and the spots are gone!

Bottom line: I am now a happy with the screen, it yields a bright picture with no off axis color shift problems at all. If you are considering using the high gain goo, don't even think about rolling it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-17-2002, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Chris,

I must see this! I'll be over tomorrow. Hope you're there ;)

Ted

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #3 of 16 Old 08-17-2002, 06:15 PM
KBK
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yes. the High gain CRT Screen Goo, is pure, unadulterated screen coating mix. it get laid down about 6-10 times thicker than any other screen you have ever seen, which is why it looks so good. It has been cut to the absoute max level for spraying it. It canot be cut less. It should be thinned for spraying. It should NEVER be rolled. The low gain goo is a adulterted version that will allow rolling, but it too will shine best when sprayed. The High GainCRT Goo looks white..but when your rub a bit on your finger..it comes up like a multifaceted rainbow of color and intensity.

All -new- mixes do not allow sanding of any kind. Period. the new Digital Grey will not take kindly to ANY sanding at all. it can be rolled or sprayed, the image is excellent under any condition of application.

There is only about 10 liters of the older High Gain CRT mix left. When it is gone, that is probably it. No more, ever. Too bad, it is the finest screen CRT coating available, from or by -Anyone-.

Some of our pigments are on display fer crissakes..at the companies who produce the original products. (3m, etc) "Look what these guys do with our products!..."

Ken Hotte

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." -- Malcolm Muggeridge.

post #4 of 16 Old 08-18-2002, 02:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
When it is gone, that is probably it. No more, ever. Too bad, it is the finest screen CRT coating available

Are you not making CRT high gain anymore?
post #5 of 16 Old 08-18-2002, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Yea Ken,

If it's the cat's pooper, why not sell it?

Ted

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #6 of 16 Old 08-18-2002, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep, I sprayed my high gain crt goo on a Parkland poly wall 54"x96" with a wagner sprayer and it looks just awsome! I've used a Wagner enough before to know to watch when getting low on paint for the dreaded spray gobs at the end. I could not spray anywhere but in my living room, so I covered the whole room in plastic drop cloths from HD. Looked like a big plastic tent.
John
post #7 of 16 Old 08-19-2002, 05:27 PM
KBK
AVS Forum Special Member

It's very expensive to make.

It's 'triple dispersion' formula,

it is the most complex and difficult to manufacture, ever attempted in the factory. This factory makes the most complex and difficult dispersions around. So, if it s the bsest of the best, well..that's it! it doesn't get any better. Nor is there a greater hassle to manufacture....

Ken Hotte

post #8 of 16 Old 08-22-2002, 08:45 AM

Mysphyt,
I about fell out of my chair laughing at how you described the "fat paint goobers" that landed on your screen. too funny.

Looking at your website you said you used the last half of your screen goo to spray the screen. What size of screen goo did you have? Am I correct in thinking your screen is approximately 28 square ft?

Thanks
John
post #9 of 16 Old 08-22-2002, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Chris and JBJR, I've read previous posts that discussed using a high pressure low volume sprayer as a means to best get the goo on the surface (stretched canvas in my case). I've got the primer and high gain mix to apply to my canvas, and have been operating on the assumption that I would rent an hplv sprayer to do this job. Are you happy with the Wagner's results? By the way, I'm a complete novice with a sprayer, and I'm scared to death that I will screw this up, so I've been putting it off as long as possible. Thanks to both of you for sharing your results.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-22-2002, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Joseph:
I think the Wagner did a good job (barring the goobers episode). If I were doing it again I would build a larger "spray booth" so that I could stand back farther and let the paint fall onto the board. I used this technique but I think an even finer texture could be gained by moving farther back. This technique is based on this thread.

I am familiar with HPLV systems but have never used one. Seems like it should work fine. This stuff is thick, even after a bit of thinning. I tried some touch up (after rolling, before using the Wagner PP) using a disposable canned air sprayer made for automotive use. Clogged that baby solid in under 2 seconds.

John:
I bought a liter each of primer and high gain CRT mixes. My screen area is 29 sq ft. (87" x 49"). I used two coats of primer and still have a half liter left (the board was pre-primed with grey latex paint from my LCD days). Each painting with the high gain mix used 1/2 liter, thinned with 50ml distilled water.
post #11 of 16 Old 08-25-2002, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

As I said my screen is 54x96, I bought a gallon of the primer and a liter of the high gain crt goo. Being that I used the whole of my living room, since I wrapped it in plastic, I could stand back and adjust the distance to the screen I needed. The Parkland is already very white so I didn't need as much of the primer as I thought, but, it was good to have enough on hand so I could practice with it before the crt goo. i put on I believe 5 coats of the primer and 4 coats of the goo, all very light coats. You have to turn the Wagner up to high and adjust the flow knob for lots of air in the mix. i tested this on one of the walls of plastic until I felt it was spaying the ideal mix of paint to air. Its not as hard to do as you may think, just fallow Kens directions on spraying, I did, and you should be ok. Make sure you have plenty of light to see what you are doing, this is very important. At first I didn't have enough to see clearly how the paint was going on the screen, so I set up more of the halogen work lights, made a world of difference and the job much easier to do.

John
post #12 of 16 Old 08-29-2002, 07:56 PM
KBK
AVS Forum Special Member

JBJR:

Your screen must really be a kick-ass screen. That paint is something else. We suffered a real huge brain fart after coming up with that mix. We went up so high when we figured that one out, we had no choice but to hit rock bottom.

I still can't believe that stuff. When you rub a small drop of it on your finger..and it comes out like some multifaceted rainbow.. but totally white at the same time. It's freaky stuff. When it dries it goes translucent......but still remains white.

Basically, with a lot of coats, you get total opacity, combined with total reflectivity, with controlled dispersion of light, depending on how you finished the surface. So, the overall punch in the image will easily exceed any other screen out there.

it is also a more true D6500 color temp than ANY screen out there, by a huge margin. Screens are out there that measure a so-called D6500, but look like something else altogether. This product does both. It measures D6500, and t LOOKS D6500.

Ken Hotte

post #13 of 16 Old 08-29-2002, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi Ken, yeah, my screen is really "smokin". The texture I came away with has to be close to 300 grit sand paper, just couldn't get it to the 400. It really is something to see. I do have some of the paint left in the container and will have to check it out with the finger test, cool psychedelic colors. I just love this stuff!

John
post #14 of 16 Old 08-29-2002, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'll agree with KBK and John, this stuff is quite wild in liquid form. Looks like plain white paint until you start mixing, then it becomes opalescent, almost glows under direct lighting.
post #15 of 16 Old 08-30-2002, 09:50 AM

John,

Do you have any hotspotting issues in your setup? What type of projector are you using and what is the throw distance?

Thanks..

-- John
post #16 of 16 Old 09-02-2002, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Originally posted by KBK
There is only about 10 liters of the older High Gain CRT mix left. When it is gone, that is probably it. No more, ever. Too bad, it is the finest screen CRT coating available, from or by -Anyone-.

Hi Ken....Sorry to see this stuff go too! but real glad I got mine up on the wall before it's demise, "adulterated" somewhat by mixing it 40/60 with the low gain CRT White and going through the tricky, scary process of rolling it. Sure looks tremendous with the combination of the 6500K Dilard calibrated G-1000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page