• 1 Post By Craig Peer

post #1 of 15 Old 08-13-2014, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Screen / eye level height

I know everyone recommends the 1/3 rule for screen height...the eye level is about 1/3 from the bottom of the screen.
But I find 1/3 to be too high for my comfort viewing. I'm more comfortable with looking straight to the middle of the screen, or even lower.
FYI, on my current pc workstation, my eye level is at the top of my lcd screen. Why is it the opposite (looking up) for HT setup? Where is the ergonomics? Is there anyone like me?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-13-2014, 04:17 AM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
I know everyone recommends the 1/3 rule for screen height...the eye level is about 1/3 from the bottom of the screen.
But I find 1/3 to be too high for my comfort viewing. I'm more comfortable with looking straight to the middle of the screen, or even lower.
FYI, on my current pc workstation, my eye level is at the top of my lcd screen. Why is it the opposite (looking up) for HT setup? Where is the ergonomics? Is there anyone like me?

I don't think there are any particular rules when it comes to viewing position in relation to projector screens. It's just personal preference. In movie theaters, some people like to be close to the screen while others prefer to be far back. There's no right or wrong. Just what you prefer.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-13-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 111
I sit in front of the monitor all day. I am old so I need some of the progressive part of my glasses to read the text.. therefor I am lined up with the top 1/3 so the bottom third is in the proper part of my glasses from the seated position.
In my living room, I recline and wear single vision lenses since I am 14' away, eyes line up with the lower 1/3.. it's all about what you like.. no rules..

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old 08-13-2014, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Add to that the fact that the actors faces often are in the upper half of the picture so really the so called 1/3 rule leaves you looking up quite a bit most of the time. Perfect for reading subtitles though:-)

Its a matter of personal preference of course so whatever makes the viewer happy. I realize multirows and recliners belongs in the equation.

I find looking straight into the middle possibly a little above is most relaxing and I can tolerate a bigger more immersive picture that way.

Last edited by clausdk; 08-13-2014 at 09:05 AM.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-13-2014, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausdk View Post
Add to that the fact that the actors faces often are in the upper half of the picture so really the so called 1/3 rule leaves you looking up quite a bit most of the time. Perfect for reading subtitles though:-)
Exactly. All the faces are framed on the upper half of the screen. My eyes are tired if I keep looking up.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-13-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

distance from screen also play into the equation.. for instance sitting with eyes at the lower part of a 110" screen from 14' is fine but at 9' would be painful..
This is why they include angle of viewing..

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 15 Old 08-13-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 257
My eye level about 1/3 of the way up a 128" diagonal 2.35:1 screen from a sitting distance of 12' 6" doesn't seem like looking up. Looking up is what folks that mount flat screens above their fireplaces do. Same goes for my 122" diagonal 16:9 screen. Any lower and my screens would be on the floor !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #8 of 15 Old 08-13-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Looking up is what folks that mount flat screens above their fireplaces do.
Well said.. Don't really get that over the fireplace thing.. looks stupid to me every time I see it! Never mind looking up, the off angle image of a flat screen not worth looking at!
old corps likes this.

Doug

post #9 of 15 Old 08-13-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
Well said.. Don't really get that over the fireplace thing.. looks stupid to me every time I see it! Never mind looking up, the off angle image of a flat screen not worth looking at!
Yep, a recipe for a real pain in the neck!

Ed
post #10 of 15 Old 08-13-2014, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
distance from screen also play into the equation.. for instance sitting with eyes at the lower part of a 110" screen from 14' is fine but at 9' would be painful..
This is why they include angle of viewing..
I'm about 11' from a 16:9 120" screen

Last edited by Skylinestar; 08-13-2014 at 02:51 PM.
post #11 of 15 Old 08-13-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
By the time you lean back on our La Z Boy sofa, you aren't really looking up at all.
Boomassiv likes this.

post #12 of 15 Old 08-13-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 422
My eyes are closer to just below the middle point of the screen (maybe 40-45% from the bottom). I sit about 10.5 feet back from my 117.4" diagonal 2:35 screen. I find it more immerse this way compared to have my eyes being any lower. Initially I tried the bottom 33% height but it just felt too high up to me and I did feel like I was looking up which I didn't prefer. What's nice is I can still recline and my feet are still not in the bottom of the image.

Last edited by DavidHir; 08-13-2014 at 07:44 PM.
post #13 of 15 Old 08-14-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
My eyes are closer to just below the middle point of the screen (maybe 40-45% from the bottom). I sit about 10.5 feet back from my 117.4" diagonal 2:35 screen. I find it more immerse this way compared to have my eyes being any lower. Initially I tried the bottom 33% height but it just felt too high up to me and I did feel like I was looking up which I didn't prefer. What's nice is I can still recline and my feet are still not in the bottom of the image.
If you have recliners I can see wanting the screen lower, since you are going to wind up lower. For me, 1/3 from the bottom is as high as I'd want the screen - person taste dictates a lot of this. That's the beauty of having your own theater set up how you like it !

post #14 of 15 Old 08-15-2014, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
If you have recliners I can see wanting the screen lower, since you are going to wind up lower. For me, 1/3 from the bottom is as high as I'd want the screen - person taste dictates a lot of this. That's the beauty of having your own theater set up how you like it !
It kind of depends on where and how I sit too. For example, My couch has three seats - the left and right power recline where as the center seat doesn't. The center seat is actually a bit lower so your eyes around probably closer to 35-40% of the bottom of the screen. And on the recliners, it depends on the positioning but your eyes are no higher than around 45% to maybe smack in the middle of the screen - but sometimes lower just depending on what position you recline at.

post #15 of 15 Old 08-15-2014, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
See.. on that picture with the guy sitting... if you put his feet up on the table (/coffee table), unobstructed viewing can only happen with a higher screen. +1 for the reclining reason (& feet up). There may be a historical bias as well, as most theaters without "stadium seating" also hung the screen higher to prevent audience members heads from being an obstruction.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page