Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-14-2014, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Just looking for validation/suggestion

Hi all,

I bought a Benq W7000 year and a half ago with an Accuscreen 100" screen which I got for like 50$. I am living in an apartment, so my setup is not quite perfect yet obviously.

I will be moving in a new house shortly and was planning how I would implement my cinema. I do want to upgrade, but at a reasonable cost. DIY are not considered since i paint very poorly.

The room I will have will not have control over ambient light that much. My basement is not closed (it's kind of a split level), but there is only one window in that room, which will be blocked somehow (the screen will have to be in front).

Now, I have been looking for a better screen than the one I have now (it's not completely flat, it doesnt roll up anymore and I would maybe get a larger one. Also, I am looking for fixed frame)

I don't want to go too expansive for the screen and I found that one which seems pretty good:

http://www.amazon.ca/Elite-Screens-R.../dp/B000GEAD8O (its under 500$ on other sites)
It is also available in white.

I don't really understand the Maths around gain, lumens and stuff to know which one would be better.
I understand that grey screens need more luminosity and (may?) have a smaller viewing angle (by how much?).
So, knowing I have a W7000, am I able to get a 120 inch grey screen and get nice colors or is it too weak?
If it is, should I go with a 120" white or with a 100" grey for example? Or maybe 100" white is the most it can do, but I hope not!

Thank you Gurus for your insight!

have a nice day!

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Will say, if you will be able to control the light from your one window, and enjoy watching in complete darkness, I'd go with the white.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-15-2014, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 71
The benqw7000 has plenty of brightness for a grey screen. A regular grey screen will have a negative gain (usually 0.8 or 0.9) and the same viewing angles as a low gain white screen. The purpose of a grey screen is to help preserve contrast in rooms with less than ideal light control. (some ambient light creeping into the room or light walls and ceiling, or both)
I do agree that a white screen is always the screen everyone serious about a projection system should be shooting for. But everyones situation is different, and sometimes a white screen is just not possible.
In my personal case, I'm slowly working my way back to getting a white screen in the future, (Just finished repainting my walls a much darker color than I had before) but I'm not quite there yet, (Ceiling is still white. Have to continue wearing down my wife's resolve.) so I continue using my high gain grey screen. (Cinegrey 5D) I think now i can soon ditch the light rejecting screen for a regular grey screen. One step at a time.

In your case, since you have such a bright projector, you might want to see if you can use a white screen first. You say you have to put the screen in front of the window. As a test, you should temporarily block up the window to prevent all light from entering. (maybe with sheets of cardboard or thick, black plastic bags taped around the window) Once you've blocked the window put up a large bedsheet in front of the window and project onto it. This should give you a general idea of how a white screen will perform in the room. If you're not generally satisfied with the contrast, then you should move onto a regular gray screen.
Hope this helps.
post #4 of 6 Old 08-16-2014, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

It is indeed a good explanation, helps sort things out a bit.

Yeah, my significant other won't let me paint all the basement dark/black, especially not the ceiling. I might get away with one or maybe two somewhat dark walls.

And yeah, the window is not the only light entry point, it also comes from the stairs which are "opened". My main entrance has one stairway that goes down and one that goes up right there and it's an opened area, so the light from outside will sneak in.

But I am used to far worse I believe, so anything will be an upgrade.

So, theoretically, the W7000 has enough brightness to cover a 120-130" grey screen. I just have to consider whether I will need a grey one or not.

And yeah, do you know about a typical viewing angle for grey ones (you can take the on I linked if that helps in any way). My room is about 13ft wide, the screen will obviously be centered, but the couches will be on the left (L-shaped one). So, alone I will be centered, but I would like the other to have a good image too when they come.

thanks a bunch ben
post #5 of 6 Old 08-16-2014, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 71
The screen you linked to is the Elite screen with the standard Cinegrey material with an advertised gain of 1.0, though from personal experience it seems more like .9 or so. It will help you with preserving contrast in your room, but you will need more work from your projector to light it up. Don't worry, your w7000 is more than up to the task. The viewing angle is 80 degrees from side to side (160 degrees total) so you'll have no problem with light falloff from side seating.
The reason i wouldn't recommend a high gain specialty screen (Like a Firehawk, Black Diamond, or the Cinegrey 5D that I'm presently using) is because of the much narrower viewing angles. The people on the couch will see a much dimmer picture than you would.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-16-2014, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

and also, especially the black diamond, they are well out of the budget. I would not even consider buying these before I set up everything around, then again, I don't know!

Thank you very much, I appreciate your help!

Have a nice day!
Reply Screens

Tags
Elitescreens , r120h1 , W7000
Gear in this thread - r120h1 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page