Da-Lite JKP Affinity 0.9 vs 1.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 08-15-2014, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
indyfranks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Question Da-Lite JKP Affinity 0.9 vs 1.1

I'm going to purchase a new screen to pair up with my Benq W1070 and I've chosen the Da-Lite UTB Contour (needed the thin bezel due to space considerations) and now just need to figure out the best screen material. Seems like the JKP Affinity screens are highly regarded which leads me to the following choice - HD Progressive 0.9 vs. HD Progressive 1.1.

My basement is pretty light controlled and it's usually either completely dark for movies or mostly (80%) dark for TV and gaming.

Which screen material would you recommend in my setup?
indyfranks is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 Old 08-15-2014, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 608
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfranks View Post
I'm going to purchase a new screen to pair up with my Benq W1070 and I've chosen the Da-Lite UTB Contour (needed the thin bezel due to space considerations) and now just need to figure out the best screen material. Seems like the JKP Affinity screens are highly regarded which leads me to the following choice - HD Progressive 0.9 vs. HD Progressive 1.1.

My basement is pretty light controlled and it's usually either completely dark for movies or mostly (80%) dark for TV and gaming.

Which screen material would you recommend in my setup?
If you have light walls and ceiling, I'd go for the 1.1. If your walls and ceiling are dark, 0.9 would be the one.
ben38 is offline  
post #3 of 28 Old 08-15-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,477
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 446
I tried both and will say the .9 has fewer sparklies, but the 1.1 is a lot brighter. I agree with ben38.

DavidHir is offline  
post #4 of 28 Old 08-15-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 5,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfranks View Post
I'm going to purchase a new screen to pair up with my Benq W1070 and I've chosen the Da-Lite UTB Contour (needed the thin bezel due to space considerations) and now just need to figure out the best screen material. Seems like the JKP Affinity screens are highly regarded which leads me to the following choice - HD Progressive 0.9 vs. HD Progressive 1.1.

My basement is pretty light controlled and it's usually either completely dark for movies or mostly (80%) dark for TV and gaming.

Which screen material would you recommend in my setup?
They ( Da Lite ) will send you samples too, if you ask them nicely.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Craig Peer is online now  
post #5 of 28 Old 08-15-2014, 09:00 PM
Senior Member
 
dvzzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have both Dalite HD Pro 0.9 and 1.1 samples up on my wall now next to Seymour Visionaire and Seymour Matinee materials. I am puzzled by the recommendation from Ben38 on the 1.1 for light walls and light ceiling, aren't we supposed to get 0.9 for light walls/ceiling? 1.1 does appear visually brighter but I do not see sparkles on 1.1 however my projector is far from bright 1070, this is an older dimmer JVC X3, so that said, my walls and ceiling are white but samples that Dalite sent are so tiny that (3"x3") sitting 15 feet away I cannot see them enough to decide if 1.1 loses blacks washes out vs. 0.9 However, if my understanding is correct all 0.9 does is just attenuates light reflection.

Ambient Visionaire actually works well regardless of the viewing angle while Matinee is not great same issue that I saw with Elite Cinegrey 5D, 1 half of the screen is visually darker than the other... But Visionaire is doing superb job of keeping screen uniform even with slightly shifted lens on the X3 but Seymour Ambient Visionaire screen is 2x the cost of what I paid for the used X3.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
If you have light walls and ceiling, I'd go for the 1.1. If your walls and ceiling are dark, 0.9 would be the one.

Last edited by dvzzz; 08-15-2014 at 09:04 PM.
dvzzz is offline  
post #6 of 28 Old 08-16-2014, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 608
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post
I have both Dalite HD Pro 0.9 and 1.1 samples up on my wall now next to Seymour Visionaire and Seymour Matinee materials. I am puzzled by the recommendation from Ben38 on the 1.1 for light walls and light ceiling, aren't we supposed to get 0.9 for light walls/ceiling? 1.1 does appear visually brighter but I do not see sparkles on 1.1 however my projector is far from bright 1070, this is an older dimmer JVC X3, so that said, my walls and ceiling are white but samples that Dalite sent are so tiny that (3"x3") sitting 15 feet away I cannot see them enough to decide if 1.1 loses blacks washes out vs. 0.9 However, if my understanding is correct all 0.9 does is just attenuates light reflection.

Ambient Visionaire actually works well regardless of the viewing angle while Matinee is not great same issue that I saw with Elite Cinegrey 5D, 1 half of the screen is visually darker than the other... But Visionaire is doing superb job of keeping screen uniform even with slightly shifted lens on the X3 but Seymour Ambient Visionaire screen is 2x the cost of what I paid for the used X3.
If you have the money for an Ambient Visionaire, I say "GO FOR IT". The only reason these Seymour screens are not on my radar is the 115 inch limit. If they started selling in larger sizes, (120 inch +) Seymour would be on my short list for sure.
I recommended the 1.1 over the 0.9 in a room with light walls and ceiling because you would need the extra gain to overcome the reflected light from the white walls. The 0.9 will help with some ambient light, but will be dimmer. Frankly, neither screen will be good in your situation. That Ambient Visionaire seems like the way to go in your case.
ben38 is offline  
post #7 of 28 Old 08-16-2014, 08:31 AM
Senior Member
 
dvzzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have to agree with you on Seymour AV. Fine material but quote I got from two sources including our forum sponsor is nothing short of astronomical, those who have the cash or size fits them I would say go for Seymour.

Question is what should I choose given my room white wall/ceiling conditions in under $1500? Brainstorm is highly appreciated here. HD Pro 0.9 or 1.1 are decent materials but as I continue to watch them cannot decide if 1.1 will wash out strongly.
dvzzz is offline  
post #8 of 28 Old 08-16-2014, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 608
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 92
All of the white screens (Including the champ:Studiotek130 g3) will wash out to some degree in a white room even in the dark. I still remember how crazy bright my friend's old high power 2.8 screen was, but those are no longer made. If you can find an hp2.4 somewhere, that might solve your problem.
ben38 is offline  
post #9 of 28 Old 08-16-2014, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
indyfranks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I ended up sending an email to Da-Lite today asking for samples of the 0.9 and 1.1. I asked for 8.5" x 11" samples or something approximately that size. They're in the same state as me (Indiana) so hopefully the turnaround will be pretty quick.

Thanks for the suggestions so far and I'll keep you posted on what I end up choosing.
indyfranks is offline  
post #10 of 28 Old 08-17-2014, 06:22 PM
Senior Member
 
dvzzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please post if Dalite sends you 8.5x11 samples, I asked for the same but got 3x3 in the mail glued to the 8.5x11

It is so tough to see anything on 3x3 samples from 13'. Even Seymour with shortage of Ambient Visionaire material sent 6x8.


Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfranks View Post
I ended up sending an email to Da-Lite today asking for samples of the 0.9 and 1.1. I asked for 8.5" x 11" samples or something approximately that size. They're in the same state as me (Indiana) so hopefully the turnaround will be pretty quick.

Thanks for the suggestions so far and I'll keep you posted on what I end up choosing.
dvzzz is offline  
post #11 of 28 Old 08-18-2014, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
indyfranks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvzzz View Post
Please post if Dalite sends you 8.5x11 samples, I asked for the same but got 3x3 in the mail glued to the 8.5x11

It is so tough to see anything on 3x3 samples from 13'. Even Seymour with shortage of Ambient Visionaire material sent 6x8.
Da-Lite emailed me back this morning to ask if 12" x 12" samples would be OK, so of course I said yes. I will post again after I receive them to let you know which gain I end up liking better.
indyfranks is offline  
post #12 of 28 Old 08-23-2014, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member
 
Michael9009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfranks View Post
Da-Lite emailed me back this morning to ask if 12" x 12" samples would be OK, so of course I said yes. I will post again after I receive them to let you know which gain I end up liking better.
You need to ensure that the samples they send you are not only 12x12 in but also have the black backing material (as the real screen does). Otherwise, they will have different reflective properties.

My experience with Da-Lite has been less than stellar. I have a 133 in diagonal Tensioned Contour Electrol electric screen that I bought in the summer of 2007 with Cinema Vision 1.3 gain fabric. In time - within a couple of years - it has developed severe shrinkage, becoming wavy at the lower corners and leached plasticizers from the material, making the screen fabric very sticky and sparkly. I had to clean the fabric with isopropyl alcohol at least once a year on both sides and the operation would last a minimum of six hours. Very annoying and problematic.

In January 2014 I replaced the fabric roller with the new HP Progressive 1.3 gain fabric. I selected the 1.3 gain (not the 0.6, 0.9 or 1.1 gain) due to the light-painted walls in my home theatre (apartment living room) and I am very happy with the optical qualities of the material. However, there's already some fabric shrinkage that has developed again at the lower corners. So far, the slight waves disappear after the screen is lowered for about 30 minutes. I do not see any sign of plasticizers leaching yet. The good news is that, back in November 2013, I had ordered a full range of 12 x 12 in vinyl fabric samples. By now, after nine months, all materials have developed strong stickiness, except for the newer HP Progressive fabrics (0.6, 0.9, 1.1 and 1.3 gain), which appear to be 'dry'.
Michael9009 is online now  
post #13 of 28 Old 08-23-2014, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
indyfranks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
You need to ensure that the samples they send you are not only 12x12 in but also have the black backing material (as the real screen does). Otherwise, they will have different reflective properties.

My experience with Da-Lite has been less than stellar. I have a 133 in diagonal Tensioned Contour Electrol electric screen that I bought in the summer of 2007 with Cinema Vision 1.3 gain fabric. In time - within a couple of years - it has developed severe shrinkage, becoming wavy at the lower corners and leached plasticizers from the material, making the screen fabric very sticky and sparkly. I had to clean the fabric with isopropyl alcohol at least once a year on both sides and the operation would last a minimum of six hours. Very annoying and problematic.

In January 2014 I replaced the fabric roller with the new HP Progressive 1.3 gain fabric. I selected the 1.3 gain (not the 0.6, 0.9 or 1.1 gain) due to the light-painted walls in my home theatre (apartment living room) and I am very happy with the optical qualities of the material. However, there's already some fabric shrinkage that has developed again at the lower corners. So far, the slight waves disappear after the screen is lowered for about 30 minutes. I do not see any sign of plasticizers leaching yet. The good news is that, back in November 2013, I had ordered a full range of 12 x 12 in vinyl fabric samples. By now, after nine months, all materials have developed strong stickiness, except for the newer HP Progressive fabrics (0.6, 0.9, 1.1 and 1.3 gain), which appear to be 'dry'.
Thanks for the info. I am happy to report that I received (2) 12" x 12" samples with the black backing material yesterday. My only complaint is that one of the samples was fairly dirty. I haven't had a chance to test them in my home theater yet, but plan to do that tomorrow. I will be purchasing a tab tensioned, fixed frame screen so I hope that will at least somewhat prevent the waviness.
indyfranks is offline  
post #14 of 28 Old 08-24-2014, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
indyfranks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hopefully someone here can answer this question since Da-Lite is closed until tomorrow. They 0.9 and 1.1 samples I received weren't labelled. Am I correct in assuming that the "whiter" screen material is the 1.1 sample?

The "whiter" sample is the one I prefer in my limited testing in both dark and low ambient light for those that were curious. I plan on ordering my screen on Monday or Tuesday.
indyfranks is offline  
post #15 of 28 Old 08-24-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,477
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfranks View Post
HAm I correct in assuming that the "whiter" screen material is the 1.1 sample?
Yes and the 0.9 is actually an extremely light grey compared to typical grey screens.

DavidHir is offline  
post #16 of 28 Old 08-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
Michael9009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfranks View Post
Hopefully someone here can answer this question since Da-Lite is closed until tomorrow. They 0.9 and 1.1 samples I received weren't labelled. Am I correct in assuming that the "whiter" screen material is the 1.1 sample?

The "whiter" sample is the one I prefer in my limited testing in both dark and low ambient light for those that were curious. I plan on ordering my screen on Monday or Tuesday.
My samples were not labeled either, but someone marked them very, very faintly with white chalk on the back. You should look at their surface while the light from a lightbulb is reflected in them. The one that appears brighter and with more sheen, is the 1.1 sample. The difference is minute, so you should look at the reflections very carefully.

Have you tried the 1.3 gain HP Progressive fabric? I've got this one and I like its optical characteristics very much.
Michael9009 is online now  
post #17 of 28 Unread 08-31-2014, 12:37 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
yeah,The only reason these Seymour screens are not on my radar is the 115 inch limit. If they started selling in larger sizes, (120 inch +) Seymour would be on my short list for sure.[IMG]http://*******/ndijjj[/IMG]thank you
biedpillie is offline  
post #18 of 28 Unread 09-07-2014, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
indyfranks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
UPDATE: My UTB Contour 92" HD Progessive 1.1 screen was delivered on Friday and I installed it yesterday.

The Good - The packaging was excellent and the hardware went together very well, with the exception of a few minor issues getting screws to tighten all the way into the metal frame . The frame is extremely well designed and built. No wrinkles whatsoever and the ultra-thin bezel looks awesome on my wall. I recalibrated my Benq W1070 with my Disney WOW Blu-ray disc and the image looks fantastic. I was particularly blown away by the Monsters Inc. scenes on the Blu-ray, where Sully almost seems to jump off the screen. I had no idea that I could get a picture this vibrant with a projector. It now makes me realize how truly inferior my original $80 eBay screen material was.

The Bad - (1) I have two faint 1/2" "dots right in the middle of the projector screen. They are mostly imperceptible except during very light or white scenes. I haven't tried to clean them yet because there were no instructions on what to use and how to clean the screen. I guess I will contact Da-Lite tomorrow and ask for guidance unless you guys can let me know. I am really crossing my fingers that it is just a cleaning issue and not an imperfection with the screen itself. (2) With a high quality screen now installed, I have discovered that there is something wrong with the DirecTV signal in my basement. Although I am getting a decent picture, it is very, very slightly fuzzy and/or pixelated. It is easy to notice when looking at the Bottom Line on ESPN for instance. I have verified that the picture on all my other TVs is not affected by this. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot and/or fix this? I suppose I can replacing the coax cable between my basement jack and the my receiver and also the HDMI cable between my DirecTV box and my Yamaha AVR. I know the issue isn't between my AVR and projector at least because my Blu-rays look awesome. I suspect the issue is between my multiswitch and the basement though, which means I'll probably have to call someone to redo the coax ends or possibly even replace the cable in the wall altogether. If you guys have any other ideas, please let me know.

All in all, I'm loving my new screen. Even though my wife shakes her head at my spending >$1,000 for a projector screen, I think it will be worth it!
indyfranks is offline  
post #19 of 28 Unread 09-07-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,477
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Can you further explain what these 1/2" dots look like? Is it something actually on the screen fabric, or look more like creases?

DavidHir is offline  
post #20 of 28 Unread 09-08-2014, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
indyfranks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Can you further explain what these 1/2" dots look like? Is it something actually on the screen fabric, or look more like creases?
They're definitely not creases. I took some close-up pictures this morning so that I can send them to Da-Lite, and also attached them to this post. I'm now officially concerned though because these seem to look more like screen imperfections than just something that can be cleaned off. Ugh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0894.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	252298   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0895.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	252306  
indyfranks is offline  
post #21 of 28 Unread 09-08-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 5,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfranks View Post
They're definitely not creases. I took some close-up pictures this morning so that I can send them to Da-Lite, and also attached them to this post. I'm now officially concerned though because these seem to look more like screen imperfections than just something that can be cleaned off. Ugh.
Send those photos to your dealer and Da Lite. They have good customer service in my experience.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Craig Peer is online now  
post #22 of 28 Unread 09-08-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,477
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Da-Lite does indeed have great customer service...speaking firsthand.

DavidHir is offline  
post #23 of 28 Unread 09-09-2014, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
indyfranks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Da-Lite does indeed have great customer service...speaking firsthand.
Great to hear. I emailed them back last night to inquire about just shipping me replacement screen material and then I'd ship them my screen material back in the same box. Just waiting on a response.

In the meantime, I watched some Netflix last night on my screen and I absolutely love the image quality. Not looking forward to having to reattach a replacement screen to my frame, but it's a good design so I don't anticipate it taking too long.
indyfranks is offline  
post #24 of 28 Unread 09-22-2014, 05:05 PM
Senior Member
 
lwhitefl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Palm City, Florida, US
Posts: 321
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a DaLite JKP Affinity Contour TNSD 159D HD1.1 January 2013. The installer recommended the 1.1 because of the light colored walls.

I'm building a dedicated media room which unlike the current projection room will have no windows and dark walls.

The screen and roller are being replaced by DaLite due to a screen defect. Horizontal areas of the screen from top to bottom project more brightness. This defect didn't reveal itself until about a year after I had the screen. The installer found the black backing material showed the horizontal lines.

So I may have an opportunity to change the screen progression from 1.1 to something lower in consideration of the new media room.

Can anyone provide any guidance?
lwhitefl is offline  
post #25 of 28 Unread 09-22-2014, 07:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,477
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwhitefl View Post
I purchased a DaLite JKP Affinity Contour TNSD 159D HD1.1 January 2013. The installer recommended the 1.1 because of the light colored walls.

I'm building a dedicated media room which unlike the current projection room will have no windows and dark walls.

The screen and roller are being replaced by DaLite due to a screen defect. Horizontal areas of the screen from top to bottom project more brightness. This defect didn't reveal itself until about a year after I had the screen. The installer found the black backing material showed the horizontal lines.

So I may have an opportunity to change the screen progression from 1.1 to something lower in consideration of the new media room.

Can anyone provide any guidance?
The 0.9 does have fewer sparklies, but if you are not bothered by them I would just stick with the 1.1 as it offers far more brightness. Also with the 0.9 you will need need a black pit room and still decent projector brightness. I would also try to stick with a fixed frame.

DavidHir is offline  
post #26 of 28 Unread 09-23-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,256
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfranks View Post
I'm going to purchase a new screen to pair up with my Benq W1070 and I've chosen the Da-Lite UTB Contour (needed the thin bezel due to space considerations) and now just need to figure out the best screen material. Seems like the JKP Affinity screens are highly regarded which leads me to the following choice - HD Progressive 0.9 vs. HD Progressive 1.1.

My basement is pretty light controlled and it's usually either completely dark for movies or mostly (80%) dark for TV and gaming.

Which screen material would you recommend in my setup?
Since the projector is very bright and your walls are light colored, I would go with the 0.9 over the HD1.1. If we can help you, give us a call. DavidHir liked the 0.9, when he had it, but wanted a little more brightness with his JVC projector so he went to ST100. With your Benq, you will have the brightness.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #27 of 28 Unread 09-23-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
indyfranks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Update on my screen replacement:

My replacement screen was delivered on Friday. They (thefinalclick.com) shipped me a whole new screen, but I left the frame in the box and only replaced the screen material. Luckily everything fit together well and best of all, there were no screen defects! I packed up the old screen material in the new box and the shipper will be picking it up tonight. There was no cost to me whatsoever for the screen replacement so that was good.

Even in my mostly dark media room, I'm happy with the 1.1 screen. It is very bright, comparable to an LED screen and I like it that way. And the black levels are still great.
indyfranks is offline  
post #28 of 28 Unread 09-23-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 5,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfranks View Post
Update on my screen replacement:

My replacement screen was delivered on Friday. They (thefinalclick.com) shipped me a whole new screen, but I left the frame in the box and only replaced the screen material. Luckily everything fit together well and best of all, there were no screen defects! I packed up the old screen material in the new box and the shipper will be picking it up tonight. There was no cost to me whatsoever for the screen replacement so that was good.

Even in my mostly dark media room, I'm happy with the 1.1 screen. It is very bright, comparable to an LED screen and I like it that way. And the black levels are still great.

Good to hear you got this taken care of. It's a good screen material - time to watch some movies !!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Craig Peer is online now  
Reply Screens
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off