Any recommendations on a 110 inch AT screen for small dedicated home theater? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-18-2014, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
EJ5
Member
 
EJ5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any recommendations on a 110 inch AT screen for small dedicated home theater?

I'm looking for recommendations for an acoustically transparent 110" screen for a small dedicated home theater room that I'm putting together. I've researched them and am experiencing information overload. Any suggestions from actual users or sellers would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using a Sony VPL HW30 projector and am limited to nothing larger than 110" because of the size of the room. I'll have light control over the room, although I recently learned the walls are too light after getting the projector installed. I know there are Stewarts, Da-Lites, Seymours, and Elite Screens (although not in 110" AT that I could find) in all sorts of different thread/weave densities. Seating will be 9 to 12 feet away. I'd like to keep the purchase under $600 if possible. Thanks for any recommendations you can provide!
EJ5 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 08-18-2014, 06:20 PM
Senior Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 67
The Only AT screen near your price range I'm comfortable recommending is the 109 inch 16:9 Seymour center stage XD for about 800 dollars. I know it's past your budget, but you won't find better at anywhere near that price. Making an AT screen that works well at a decent price is an art that Seymour seems to have mastered. I've seen dozens of AT screen samples. The Only ones I've seen as good as the Seymour material were a lot more expensive. You definitely don't want to go cheaper than Seymour. Trust me.
ben38 is online now  
post #3 of 6 Old 08-18-2014, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter
EJ5
Member
 
EJ5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
The Only AT screen near your price range I'm comfortable recommending is the 109 inch 16:9 Seymour center stage XD for about 800 dollars. I know it's past your budget, but you won't find better at anywhere near that price. Making an AT screen that works well at a decent price is an art that Seymour seems to have mastered. I've seen dozens of AT screen samples. The Only ones I've seen as good as the Seymour material were a lot more expensive. You definitely don't want to go cheaper than Seymour. Trust me.
Thanks for the response ben. I don't mind paying more if its worth the additional dollars. However, I was concerned that the seating distance may be too close for the the CenterStage XD and that the weave may be visible. Have you used the XD yourself? Seymour has a new CenterStage UF with a tighter weave that is supposed to allow a much closer seating distance. Do you know anything about the UF?
EJ5 is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 08-18-2014, 10:52 PM
Senior Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 67
From 9 feet away you will probably see the weave a little. The weave should disappear completely at around 11 feet.
I've seen a sample of the UF material. It has a super fine weave that's probably hard to see from just a few feet away. It is darker than the XD and lets through a little less sound, so you'll need a little more brightness from your projector and a little more volume from your amplifier.
It looks like the prices are the same for either material. 799 for 109 inches with the precision frame. If you need black backing, the price goes up to 1066 dollars.
ben38 is online now  
post #5 of 6 Old 08-21-2014, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
EJ5
Member
 
EJ5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
From 9 feet away you will probably see the weave a little. The weave should disappear completely at around 11 feet.
I've seen a sample of the UF material. It has a super fine weave that's probably hard to see from just a few feet away. It is darker than the XD and lets through a little less sound, so you'll need a little more brightness from your projector and a little more volume from your amplifier.
It looks like the prices are the same for either material. 799 for 109 inches with the precision frame. If you need black backing, the price goes up to 1066 dollars.
Thanks. I have XD and UF samples coming from SeymourAV and they should be here in a few days. What about Elite, Falcon, or Silver Ticket?
EJ5 is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 08-21-2014, 01:06 PM
Senior Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ5 View Post
Thanks. I have XD and UF samples coming from SeymourAV and they should be here in a few days. What about Elite, Falcon, or Silver Ticket?
I Don't like to knock other companies products. I've seen Elite and Falcon AT materials. Never saw the Silver Ticket. I Still say go with Seymour.
ben38 is online now  
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off