samples underwhelming? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-20-2014, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
samples underwhelming?

i just got some da-lite progressive samples, .6, .9, 1.1, and 1.3. I have a flat white wall i project onto, and floor to ceiling windows so ambient light is sort of a problem (no blackout shades though the curtains help). i do have the projector farther away from the windows though.

With the shades down, I did not notice a great difference on any of the samples. maybe because samples were so small? it was def not a $1k difference in viewing for me at least. even with the lights off and at night, the difference was not that great. projecting onto the wall in the dark looks fine to me so thought a screen would be even better.
i've been hearing screens make a huge differenvce, but from the samples i've seen, the difference is not that great. how big of a difference have you guys noticed with a screen vs your walls?

using a benq w1070, about 12' throw distance, white wall room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-20-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 424
How big were the samples?

There are significant differences in each of those materials in terms of color, brightness and sparklies (I had the .9 and 1.1 screens at one point).

post #3 of 8 Old 08-20-2014, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dru8p View Post
i just got some da-lite progressive samples, .6, .9, 1.1, and 1.3. I have a flat white wall i project onto, and floor to ceiling windows so ambient light is sort of a problem (no blackout shades though the curtains help). i do have the projector farther away from the windows though.

With the shades down, I did not notice a great difference on any of the samples. maybe because samples were so small? it was def not a $1k difference in viewing for me at least. even with the lights off and at night, the difference was not that great. projecting onto the wall in the dark looks fine to me so thought a screen would be even better.
i've been hearing screens make a huge differenvce, but from the samples i've seen, the difference is not that great. how big of a difference have you guys noticed with a screen vs your walls?

using a benq w1070, about 12' throw distance, white wall room.
If you're satisfied with your picture on a white wall, you're all set. No need to blow money on a screen. A small screen sample wont give you any real idea about how that screen material performs. You need big samples. (1 square foot or better) Take your time. No need to rush into spending money if you're happy with the picture now.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-21-2014, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
How big were the samples?

There are significant differences in each of those materials in terms of color, brightness and sparklies (I had the .9 and 1.1 screens at one point).
each were about 5x5? pretty small. i guess it is tough to tell w/ such small samples.

i taped them up slightly apart and watched a few movies. couldn't tell much of a diff except with the .6 which was a bit darker. anything above the .6 seemed to sort of just blend in with the wall.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-21-2014, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
each were about 5x5? pretty small. i guess it is tough to tell w/ such small samples.

i taped them up slightly apart and watched a few movies. couldn't tell much of a diff except with the .6 which was a bit darker. anything above the .6 seemed to sort of just blend in with the wall.
This is why I've always considered screen samples a poor way to judge the performance of screen material. (AT screen materials being the exception) Someone with a lot of experience with screens may find samples useful, but the majority of buyers wouldn't know what to look for or how to judge. Plus you can't adjust your projector for proper brightness and contrast against a small sample, so any judgment you make will be skewed. This is especially true with specialty screens.
However inadequate it may be, The first hand experience of posters on this forum seems to be the best guide to what to buy.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-21-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Screen samples can help determine if the material brightness compared to others asl will sparkles and texture be an issue from your seating location. That is about it unless you have the equipment to check color neutrality, but umr has done all of that in his screen report for a lot of the major players.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 Old 08-21-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:

One sent was about 5x5", but another was something closer to 8x8" or maybe bit larger. Da-Lite has excellent customer service so if you call and request a larger size, they will probably do it.

post #8 of 8 Old 08-23-2014, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Ask Da-Lite to send you 12 x 12 in samples with black backing, as the actual screens are. The evaluation of the samples is dependent on the angle of the projector beam and angle of view with regard to the location of the sample. As general rules, I would note the following:

1. Gain lover than 1.0: These materials tend to have a grey tint to emphasize blacks for projectors with high light output.

2. Gain of 1.0: Suitable for completely light-controlled home theatres while providing a large angle of view.

3. Gain higher than 1.0: The higher the gain value, the brighter the appearance of the screen image. The light is 'amplified' by concentrating it back to the viewer in the central area. The higher the gain, the narrower the angle of view. The viewers have to sit farther away from large screens to avoid hot-spotting for screens with higher gain.

I personally have a HT with light-painted walls in the living room of my apartment. The screen is 133 in diagonal and the viewing distance is approximately 12 ft. I have a VPL-VW60 beamer placed at 15 ft throw distance. The 1.3 gain HP Progressive fabric works perfectly in my environment with minimal hot spotting.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page