• 1 Post By thadudedk

post #1 of 11 Old 08-26-2014, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Screen without tab tension?

Hi,

I am going to buy my first projector soon. BenQ W1070. It's budget projector, so I don't want to spend too much on a screen either. So my question is:

- I've read that all screens without tab tension get wawes/wrinkles? is this true? I am looking for a manual pulldown screen at around 90-100". I am probably going to replace it in a year or two with something bigger and better - but for now this is what I am looking for.

- Will all screens be able to show 3d? BenQ W1070 are able to play 3d, so I dont want to buy a screen that cannot play 3d - but not sure if all screens have this ability?

- Can all screens display 1080p, if the projector are able to play 1080p?

Last edited by thadudedk; 08-26-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-26-2014, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
People say they develop waves, but if you need it for only a year there should be no problem. I have a 92 pulldown Focupux that I am very happy with. 3d is no problem with active 3d projectors.
old corps likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-26-2014, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post
People say they develop waves, but if you need it for only a year there should be no problem. I have a 92 pulldown Focupux that I am very happy with. 3d is no problem with active 3d projectors.
So all screens will be able to show 3d as long as the projector have 3d - good to know!

Do you have wawes on your screen? And how long have you had it?

This is my first projector and screen - So i dont want to rush into buying an expensive screen at first. Especially when my knowledge on the area is very limited at the time being.. I can live wit ha small wrinkle or two, as long as there are no big wrinkles out-of-the-box..

How does these two screens look:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VonHaus-Lock...ojector+screen

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PCW92MM-92-P...pr_product_top

Last edited by thadudedk; 08-26-2014 at 08:49 AM.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-26-2014, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 73
For a screen less than 100" that you'll replace in a year or two, a manual pull down screen will serve you well for very little money. You can save up your money for that larger tab tensioned screen in a couple of years.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-26-2014, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I had the screen a long while before I hung it in March. So far no waves and the image is great. I'm not familiar with the screens you linked to, but I feel it's wise to save money on a screen until you know exactly what you want and how you will configure your room.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-26-2014, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Glad to hear I will be fine for a year or two with a manual pulldown. Hope I will be just as lucky regarding wrinkles as you have been.

Im not sure the screens I found on amazon ship to Denmark, where I live, so I've also found an Elite Screen:
http://www.elitescreenshop.com/Manua...n-p/m92uwh.htm

If anyone has any experience with it I would like to hear that as well
post #7 of 11 Old 08-26-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post
I've had a Focupix 120" electric screen (NON-tensioned) for 3 1/2+ years and it's never had any waves or wrinkles. Just a very slight "curl-in" on the sides that you can only see from the sides if you're looking for it.

Ed

http://www.htdepot.com/Focupix-Flexi...10-p/20016.htm
post #8 of 11 Old 08-27-2014, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
I've had a Focupix 120" electric screen (NON-tensioned) for 3 1/2+ years and it's never had any waves or wrinkles. Just a very slight "curl-in" on the sides that you can only see from the sides if you're looking for it.

Ed

http://www.htdepot.com/Focupix-Flexi...10-p/20016.htm
Thank you. Glad to hear you have had a no wrinkles of importance. That's good news, especially considering your screen is as big as it is..

I can't find that focupix anywhere where they ship to Denmark. So that doesn't seem as an option.

This Elite screen seem as the best fit I can fint for my budget. I can get at around 175 usd - it becomes more expensive when sold in Denmark I love that black casing - however, it has a gain of 1.1, not sure if that's too much for my benq w1070 with 2000 lumen??

http://www.elitescreenshop.com/Manua...-p/m100uwh.htm

Last edited by thadudedk; 08-27-2014 at 12:54 AM.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-27-2014, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadudedk View Post
Thank you. Glad to hear you have had a no wrinkles of importance. That's good news, especially considering your screen is as big as it is..

I can't find that focupix anywhere where they ship to Denmark. So that doesn't seem as an option.

This Elite screen seem as the best fit I can fint for my budget. I can get at around 175 usd - it becomes more expensive when sold in Denmark I love that black casing - however, it has a gain of 1.1, not sure if that's too much for my benq w1070 with 2000 lumen??

I wouldn't be concerned. My focupix is 1.3 gain and one of the projector's I use it with is 2200 lumens (Epson 3010). Looks great to me. For 3D I wouldn't want any less brightness. Remember also that your projectors lamp will lose lumens as it ages.
Best of luck with the Elite. Don't see how you could go wrong, especially for the price.

Ed
post #10 of 11 Old 08-27-2014, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadudedk View Post

How much light you'll need depends on how dark your room is. It's always good to have more light than you'll need than less. The Maxwhite material of the Elite screen will give you a true 1.0 gain across its entire surface, which is a good thing.Your projector's normal light output is over 1700 lumens, which is tremendously bright. In most situations, you'll be fine with the eco light output of 1100-1200 lumens.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-27-2014, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies. Good to hear that I can use 1.1 gain with the projector. Now I just have to decide between the 92" screen and the 100" screen and hope for no wrinkles.. I will use eco mode on the projector as standard - I've read that the performance of eco mode is plenty for most users..
old corps likes this.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page