1Likes
  • 1 Post By Craig Peer

post #1 of 7 Old 08-27-2014, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Which Screen Please Help

I'm looking to purchase my first screen, I'm looking at a 110" screen the room has zero natural light so glare is not an issue. I am not looking for an AT screen either, wanting a fixed screen budget is around $1,000 plus or minus a few hundred. Heard good things about Draper screens any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-27-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 423
What color are your walls and floor?

Carada might be an option, but depends on how much brightness you need as they are lower gain screens.

post #3 of 7 Old 08-28-2014, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
walls are black, carpet is a real dark brown
post #4 of 7 Old 08-29-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Stewart Cima Neve is another option. Da Lite HD Pro 1.1 also. Screen Innovations Solar White too. Give us a call at AV Science for prices and advice / help. I've had personally built home theaters ( on my 3rd theater ) myself for over 12 years.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #5 of 7 Old 09-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by realestatecody View Post
walls are black, carpet is a real dark brown
That sounds like a mighty fine room that would pair exceptionally well with any number of low gain, smooth white fixed-frame screens.

There's no particular reason to spend a lot of money for a simple solid white screen, though. The only thing you need to worry about avoiding is added gain or texture. It can be very hard to tell without reviews whether or not a screen will be textured or smooth.

The only thing any particular brand should be able to add to the equation is a more robust or easily assembled frame.

This is also the easiest circumstance to simply paint and frame-off a section of wall if you felt like going that route instead. The white pigment in simple flat interior wallpaint is one of the most perfect screen-surfaces you'll be able to find. If your wall is reasonably smooth, you can just tape off an area, roll on two coats with a 1/4" roller, pull the tape and set a frame.
The performance alone is worth it if at all possible. The price just adds the best imaginable cherry on top.
The $1000 can then go into the replacement lamp budget or count toward the future upgrade fund.

You'd also do well to darken the ceiling if it isn't already. In a room that dark, even a middle grey shade will look surprisingly bright on the ceiling.

Simple
, build in a day, takedown in an hour.

Last edited by Ftoast; 09-04-2014 at 06:49 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-05-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
That sounds like a mighty fine room that would pair exceptionally well with any number of low gain, smooth white fixed-frame screens.

There's no particular reason to spend a lot of money for a simple solid white screen, though. The only thing you need to worry about avoiding is added gain or texture. It can be very hard to tell without reviews whether or not a screen will be textured or smooth.

The only thing any particular brand should be able to add to the equation is a more robust or easily assembled frame.

This is also the easiest circumstance to simply paint and frame-off a section of wall if you felt like going that route instead. The white pigment in simple flat interior wallpaint is one of the most perfect screen-surfaces you'll be able to find. If your wall is reasonably smooth, you can just tape off an area, roll on two coats with a 1/4" roller, pull the tape and set a frame.
The performance alone is worth it if at all possible. The price just adds the best imaginable cherry on top.
The $1000 can then go into the replacement lamp budget or count toward the future upgrade fund.

You'd also do well to darken the ceiling if it isn't already. In a room that dark, even a middle grey shade will look surprisingly bright on the ceiling.
Sorry - I have 20+ years in commercial construction, a lot of it doing smooth wall drywall in commercial kitchens. It would be extremely difficult to get a wall as smooth and uniform as a Stewart Cima Neve screen, or a Da Lite HD Pro. screen - just to name two. And if you plan on getting a 4K projector some day, a good screen surface is even more important. After owning my own theater for over 12 years, I just don't think going cheap on the screen is worth it.
DavidHir likes this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #7 of 7 Old 09-05-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Agreed with Craig. The quality of your screen is very important and in essence 50% of the image you see with a front projection experience. Screens are typically not something you are going to upgrade very often, so why not get a good one?

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page