• 1 Post By jkirby

post #1 of 15 Old 09-06-2014, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Visual apex electric screens

Are there any reviews or opinions on the visual apex electric tab tension screens in this forum? Thank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-07-2014, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
This would interest me also...It seems that Visual Apex is priced right, but how they compare with other brands I am not sure? I'm guessing, but it seems like they are in the same ballpark as Elite. I don't know if that is good or bad...hopefully someone with more knowledge can lead us in the right direction.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-09-2014, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
i just ordered the non-tab tensioned VA screen. almost every review/experience of the tab tension had some major problems, while the non-tab version seemed to work better and more consistently.

I know this flies against conventional wisdom. In general, tab tensioned is recommended to avoid waves. But after exhaustive research, I came to the conclusion that only the high end (>$2k like Draper) tab screens are worth it.

On my budget, they are not in the running. for about $400, if the VA screen doesn't last me more than a year, then I consider that a fair investment. I can always replace it with a higher end one when my budget can afford it.

Just my 2 cents.
post #4 of 15 Old 09-09-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirby View Post
i just ordered the non-tab tensioned VA screen. almost every review/experience of the tab tension had some major problems, while the non-tab version seemed to work better and more consistently.

I know this flies against conventional wisdom. In general, tab tensioned is recommended to avoid waves. But after exhaustive research, I came to the conclusion that only the high end (>$2k like Draper) tab screens are worth it.

On my budget, they are not in the running. for about $400, if the VA screen doesn't last me more than a year, then I consider that a fair investment. I can always replace it with a higher end one when my budget can afford it.

Just my 2 cents.
Please let us know how you like the quality once you receive your screen. I agree 100%.. If the tab tensioned screens are not 100% wrinkle free, the extra money they cost is really not worth it. I don't mind spending the extra money, but I expect that the extra quality should come along with the price!
post #5 of 15 Old 09-13-2014, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDell View Post
Please let us know how you like the quality once you receive your screen. I agree 100%.. If the tab tensioned screens are not 100% wrinkle free, the extra money they cost is really not worth it. I don't mind spending the extra money, but I expect that the extra quality should come along with the price!
I have the 100 inch tab tensioned VA screen for three months and love it so far. No issues what so ever. No wrinkles or waves on it and I watch two or three movies a week.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-14-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modicen View Post
I have the 100 inch tab tensioned VA screen for three months and love it so far. No issues what so ever. No wrinkles or waves on it and I watch two or three movies a week.
Thank you so much for posting your experience! That is good news because the v/a tab tension 106 inch will fit perfect in my family room.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-15-2014, 05:24 PM

that is good to hear. I just couldn't justify the additional $550+ for a tab. That is more than twice the cost of the non-tab. Will just have to see how the non-tab works in my space!!!
post #8 of 15 Old 09-30-2014, 04:30 AM

ok. finally installed my non-tab electric screen.

Good new - no wrinkles, no wave.
Bad news - when plugging it into the socket, it blew a fuse. Every socket in the room has the same effect. Drat. Worse - the screen came down before it blew, so there is no way to roll it up.

Will be calling V/A today. definitely not a happy camper.

update: rethinking this may be an electrical problem with the house. Maybe the circuit is overloaded. Having electrician come out on thursday. Sheez.

Last edited by jkirby; 09-30-2014 at 04:59 AM.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-30-2014, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
yeowza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkirby View Post
Bad news - when plugging it into the socket, it blew a fuse. Every socket in the room has the same effect. Drat. Worse - the screen came down before it blew, so there is no way to roll it up.
ouch... that sucks. are you going to replace or look for alternative?
Elite Screens has a comparably priced model under $550 for 125" and under $400 for a 100" diagonal. These aren't on the same level as Draper but are an inexpensive & solid product that won't blow up your house's electric system.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-30-2014, 06:03 PM

ok. called Visual/Apex. While nobody has complained of this specific problem, it sounds like there is a defect in the power supply or motor. They will be shipping me a new power supply ( a breeze to replace, btw. Don't even have to take the screen down).

I will say that the screen is phenomenal. Since it has been stuck in the down position, I have been watching some blu-ray movies on it. I wouldn't hesitate to use a high end PJ for this thing.

Can't wait until it works going up and down!
post #11 of 15 Old 09-30-2014, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
That's a bummer about the motor problem,but hopefully your fixed soon so you can enjoy it more. It really is a sweet screen though for the price. Please keep us informed.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-03-2014, 07:30 AM

fyi. new electrical power end cap just shipped. hope to get it shortly!

btw- there was a slight "new" smell when the screen first lowered. So having it down so long has gotten the smell gone!
Modicen likes this.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-09-2014, 10:56 AM

update. got new power supply. Something is definitely wrong with the screen.

Good news: customer service has been top notch. they are shipping me a new screen.

Better news: they are not requiring me to send my old screen back. just some parts. Since the wall mounts are solid, it should't be hard to remove the old one and put the new one on.

Bad news: while testing out the new power supply, the screen lowered to maxium length and is stuck there. So can't watch projector or the TV behind the screen! Will take down the screen tomorrow so at least we can watch TV. And I won't be able to use my PJ for awhile.

I was able to watch Skyfall and Iron Man 3 on the screen before today's experience. I will say that it was an extremely pleasing experience.

It is hard to complain too much about an electric screen costing less than a A/V receiver, and A+ customer support. Can't wait until the new screen arrives.

Will let you know after the new screen is installed!
post #14 of 15 Old 10-19-2014, 02:51 PM

okay, got new screen. Package was crushed, and some parts damaged but it all worked out because I just used the working parts from the other screen package. So all good.

Screen works like a charm! It took quite some time to figure out how to adjust the drop length, but that is one time thing.

With the trigger on the projector, it is so cool to see it go down when I power the PJ up, and see the screen go up when the PJ is turned off.

VERY happy!!

The only negatives I can see of this screen are

1) there is a new screen smell that takes a few days to get rid of. this is a one time thing.
2) a little tricky to adjust drop length. again, a one time setup.
3) it is a little noisy. Par for the course for a super cheap electric screen. I frankly could care less, as this is happening while the projector is powering up, the blu-ray is loading, lights are being turned off, and I am getting comfortable sitting down. But it is something that will continue to happen.

I still can't believe I have this quality of an electric screen for this price.

Insane..
Modicen likes this.
post #15 of 15 Old 10-20-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 187
You can also add to the Official VAPEX thread.

Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page