Screen edge to wall distance - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2014, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Screen edge to wall distance

I did go through many posts but couldn't find direct answer to this question.. Is there a recommended distance between screen edge and side wall? I read in some posts about light reflections and how to handle them using dark paint, cloth etc. But assuming area around screen is very dark, would 6-10" clearance from wall result in any issues with picture quality? thanks in advance for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2014, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 5
That's how i have it. The purveyor of my screen said it would not be a problem. I will let you know how it is. Projector is on order and should arrive next week:

Old 09-23-2014, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks mulliganvi. Do let me know if you see any light reflections on walls. I have a long narrow room (25x12.5ft) so want to go for maximum screen size possible. Also, it will be an AT screen and I want to maximize distance between left and right speakers. Fow now I am planning for a 150" which leaves about 8" to wall. Onething I am planning on doing is to paint screen side wall black and side walls with some dark color to combat reflections.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1780 Post(s)
Liked: 942
Side walls within 8" of the screen will reflect light back onto the screen, even if they are black. If the screen is going to be real close to side walls, black velvet or some other dark light absorbing material would be best.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Side walls within 8" of the screen will reflect light back onto the screen, even if they are black. If the screen is going to be real close to side walls, black velvet or some other dark light absorbing material would be best.
Thanks, Mike. I will use black velvet or something similar to it.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So what would be a reasonable distance between screen edge and dark painted side walls ?
Old 10-26-2014, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Srt-What View Post
So what would be a reasonable distance between screen edge and dark painted side walls ?

Ha, who does reasonable on this forum except in our minds

Anyway, I have a 120" wide screen 2.35, and am considering going to 132" 2.35, since my room is only 14 ft that will leave 18" on each side. BUT, I have 51" tower speakers on each side covered in black velvet and the walls are deep gray, I have black velvet curtains on either side that mask the screen down to 16:9 for hdtv. The speaker is almost 12" wide, I have them toed in towards the MLP. I'm going to use some type of white paper to add to the current to screen so as mimic the new screen size and reposition the speakers accordingly and see how they sound after running audyssey again. I'll see if side walls reflect anything back, if so may consider the protostar material for the side walls for a few feet away from the screen. But my upgrade is dependent on getting a 4K pj that would provide good light output in 2d, not a 3d fan, on a 1 to 1.3 gain screen, I currently have the Carada BW which is quite nice with my sony vw95.. The Sony es600 would seem to work, but I want to make sure whichever pj I get it can take full advantage of the new 4K BR standards such as color space, bit depth, hdr etc.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
i think screen always need to fresh and white.

Last edited by Hoffmannyon; 01-14-2015 at 02:40 AM.