133 inch Da-lite too big for me ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-08-2014, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dllhg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
133 inch Da-lite too big for me ?

About to pull trigger on this screen. Locally for a small fraction of the regular price. I orginally wanted a 120 inch 125 max. Looking at calculators etc online seemed like 120 was on the edge for picture clarity etc. I will be 13-14 feet from screen. Projector will be a Benq W1500. Is this too large ? could I just throw a 120 inch image on the screen and be good ? Hear 3D you want to decrease image size for brightness too. Maybe 100-110 inches.

Thoughts ?

model is 84402 65X116 inches. Giant.

Last edited by dllhg; 10-08-2014 at 11:57 PM.
dllhg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 10-10-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 6,855
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by dllhg View Post
About to pull trigger on this screen. Locally for a small fraction of the regular price. I orginally wanted a 120 inch 125 max. Looking at calculators etc online seemed like 120 was on the edge for picture clarity etc. I will be 13-14 feet from screen. Projector will be a Benq W1500. Is this too large ? could I just throw a 120 inch image on the screen and be good ? Hear 3D you want to decrease image size for brightness too. Maybe 100-110 inches.

Thoughts ?

model is 84402 65X116 inches. Giant.

Most projectors can easily light up a 120" diagonal screen. 133" - maybe - what is the screen material ? Are you getting a killer deal on a demo screen ?

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Craig Peer is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 10-10-2014, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dllhg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Seems like maybe it was a good thing I got the bigger one. Won't have to upgrade. Not a demo. Was from craigslist personal. Guy had a few of them and even had a 180 Da-lite for $1000. Top of the line. Never installed. Wires on it had never been terminated so I believe him. Such good quality it weighs 160 lbs ! Having a professional installer look at my set up tonight. Looks like too much for me to tackle honestly. Made to be recessed into ceiling. After seeing it I would really like that. Screen would be little higher that way too.

Very excited Now.
dllhg is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 10-10-2014, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dllhg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sorry it is matte. Bright white I think. Not sure I think it might be 1:1.
dllhg is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 10-12-2014, 06:35 PM
RRF
Member
 
RRF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You never mentioned the most critical metric...the throw distance.

133" is pretty big @ 13-14'.

The closer the projector is to the screen the brighter the image.
But, the closer the projector is to the screen, the more zoom is required to fill the screen.
The more zoom you use, the less detail in the picture.

The bitrate from a bluray may be high enough to provide an acceptable picture at a certain throw distance,
but a cable channel source may be unacceptable.
RRF is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 10-13-2014, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dllhg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRF View Post
You never mentioned the most critical metric...the throw distance.

133" is pretty big @ 13-14'.

The closer the projector is to the screen the brighter the image.
But, the closer the projector is to the screen, the more zoom is required to fill the screen.
The more zoom you use, the less detail in the picture.

The bitrate from a bluray may be high enough to provide an acceptable picture at a certain throw distance,
but a cable channel source may be unacceptable.


Wow, I would have thought the closest you could get it would be best for detail. Detail is important to me. I can actually mount the projector 20-21 feet away. Would be better placement for me. I need to find out the ideal throw on this projector it would seem.
dllhg is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 10-14-2014, 08:09 AM
RRF
Member
 
RRF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dllhg View Post
Wow, I would have thought the closest you could get it would be best for detail. Detail is important to me. I can actually mount the projector 20-21 feet away. Would be better placement for me. I need to find out the ideal throw on this projector it would seem.
By increasing the zoom as you move the projector closer, you are spreading the light out to pass through more of the lens, which increases the potential for distortions. Of course, this depends on the quality ($$) of the lens. This is why a perfect focus across the entire screen is usually unattainable.

You just have to find the "sweet spot" for your seating position, picture quality expectations, environment and equipment. According to the Benq website, your W1500 projector has "...the flexibility of placing the projector in any room, regardless of size and brightness!"
RRF is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 10-14-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 6,855
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRF View Post
You never mentioned the most critical metric...the throw distance.

133" is pretty big @ 13-14'.

The closer the projector is to the screen the brighter the image.
But, the closer the projector is to the screen, the more zoom is required to fill the screen.
The more zoom you use, the less detail in the picture.

The bitrate from a bluray may be high enough to provide an acceptable picture at a certain throw distance,
but a cable channel source may be unacceptable.

Where did you get this ? I've got a Sony VW600 and a 3 chip DLP about as close as they can get to my 128" diagonal screen ( 14' throw ) - there is no loss of detail. What you don't want to do is use the extreme end of the lens - either end of the zoom range. I'm a little ways from maximum zoom.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Craig Peer is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 10-14-2014, 07:11 PM
RRF
Member
 
RRF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Where did you get this ? I've got a Sony VW600 and a 3 chip DLP about as close as they can get to my 128" diagonal screen ( 14' throw ) - there is no loss of detail. What you don't want to do is use the extreme end of the lens - either end of the zoom range. I'm a little ways from maximum zoom.
Well I have never seen a projector with a perfect zoom yet.
The effects may not be visible with regular content, but focus or sharpness test patterns do reveal distortion.
But these short throw projectors do get better every year.. due to improved optics.

The W1500 apparently has lots of light , includes ISFccc controls, and calibrates well.
But the W1500 reportedly loses 500 lumens from min to max zoom, but only 11% at mid zoom.
http://www.projectorreviews.com/benq...on-settings-1/

I also prefer mid zoom on all projectors, unless their performance demonstrates differently.
Also, in case the screen size changes in the future, you won't have to move the projector.

With a PPI of 16.5, viewed at 13', I know I would be picking my throw distance very carefully.
RRF is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 10-16-2014, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
dllhg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for all the input. Decided to go mid throw. I think I am going to do 13-14 feet. 14 would put it one foot behind where my head is reclined in chair. Throw for that size is 10.5 to 16.5 feet. 13 would be right in middle but would be right over my head. Worried about the noise from projector.
dllhg is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 10-17-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Posts: 6,855
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 940 Post(s)
Liked: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by dllhg View Post
Thanks for all the input. Decided to go mid throw. I think I am going to do 13-14 feet. 14 would put it one foot behind where my head is reclined in chair. Throw for that size is 10.5 to 16.5 feet. 13 would be right in middle but would be right over my head. Worried about the noise from projector.

Good decision IMO. I find that having the projector behind me makes it less noticeable - sort of " out of sight, out of mind " !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
Craig Peer is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 10-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Member
 
ProjectionHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dllhg View Post
Thanks for all the input. Decided to go mid throw. I think I am going to do 13-14 feet. 14 would put it one foot behind where my head is reclined in chair. Throw for that size is 10.5 to 16.5 feet. 13 would be right in middle but would be right over my head. Worried about the noise from projector.
noise and heat...I would try to position behind you if possible
ProjectionHead is offline  
Reply Screens
Gear in this thread - VW600 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off