Elite Screens Spectrum Tension - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ben38
  • 1 Post By donglywang
Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 10-20-2014, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
diestler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Elite Screens Spectrum Tension

Can't find any reviews on the Elite Screens Spectrum Tension - couldn't find much on these boards either. I'm skeptical that a 125" electric tension can go for $500 or so. I wouldn't expect it to be as good as a $3,000 screen, but is it too good to be true? Why are their no reviews on this screen anywhere? Anyone own it? Thoughts?
diestler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 Old 10-28-2014, 08:26 PM
Member
 
cigga24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm wondering the same thing but for the 100". Maybe it has something to do with the 1 - 3 month shipping time through Amazon, but other places have it in stock so that may not be why. This will be my first screen so almost tempted to just get the non-tensioned one just to have it before the holidays.
cigga24 is offline  
post #3 of 27 Old 11-03-2014, 04:06 PM
Newbie
 
zachfine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by diestler View Post
Can't find any reviews on the Elite Screens Spectrum Tension - couldn't find much on these boards either. I'm skeptical that a 125" electric tension can go for $500 or so. I wouldn't expect it to be as good as a $3,000 screen, but is it too good to be true? Why are their no reviews on this screen anywhere? Anyone own it? Thoughts?
Bump! I can't believe nobody's reviewed this. Someone must have it?
I'm seeing the 125" (ELECTRIC125HT) as in-stock with prime shipping at Amazon for $412.

My cursory research on the VMAX2 line shows that it has a fiber-backed screen that's a bit stiffer and thus ostensibly less ripple-prone than thinner non-tensioned screens such as the Spectrum's, but I'd expect a tensioned Spectrum screen to remove that advantage. I wonder if there's a big difference in the VMAX2's projection surface?
zachfine is offline  
post #4 of 27 Old 11-05-2014, 07:17 AM
Member
 
ProjectionHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The Spectrum Tensioned is a really nice economical tensioned screen. It forgoes the "big ugly box" that the standard Spectrum has, with the power line coming directly from the case & detachable wall switch as on their other electric models.
It uses the same MaxWhite material as the Cinetension and other screens. The main reason it is so economically priced are the limited # of sizes & surfaces available. This lien only comes with the MaxWhite (as of right now) in 2 sizes, the
100" 16:9 and the 125" .
I would expect to see a lot more reviews of these come January as they will likely be hot items this holiday season.
ProjectionHead is offline  
post #5 of 27 Old 11-08-2014, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
diestler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ended up buying one, couldn't pass up the price. I'm curious if anyone has spliced their power cord with an extension cord in order to extend the length of the power cord?
diestler is offline  
post #6 of 27 Old 11-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Any comments on the screen, diestler? Might be interested in picking one of these up for myself, but there aren't any reviews out there right now. Would be interested to hear your thoughts.
theradiostar is offline  
post #7 of 27 Old 11-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Member
 
cigga24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought one from Amazon as well. Mine came Sunday via USPS delivery person as opposed to the Jan 28 deliviery date they estimated me at. I bought the 100in and the case itself is almost 10ft long.

Not much instructions in the packaging. Came in a box zip tied with foam things protecting it inside from moving around. Hoping to have it installed within the next two weeks.

It has mounting brackets to mount on wall or ceiling and comes with remote, wall switch, small level, 1.5in screws, sheetrock anchors and stripped cable for 12v trigger.

I been thinking i could install this myself but chickened out.
cigga24 is offline  
post #8 of 27 Old 11-12-2014, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
diestler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theradiostar View Post
Any comments on the screen, diestler? Might be interested in picking one of these up for myself, but there aren't any reviews out there right now. Would be interested to hear your thoughts.
I bought the 125 inch for under $400 shipped. I've used it about 20 times since having it. It's great - but it's my first screen, so nothing to compare it to. If you are on a budget and want tab tension I think this would be a tough product to beat. The post above this one did a good job describing what the product looks like when delivered. Installation was a snap - although holding a 40 lb screen that's 10 feet long above your head to mount feels much heavier than it sounds. You need at least two strong people to be holding it and another to assist. I think you get what you pay for, in this product's case you probably get more than what you pay for. So far, so good.
diestler is offline  
post #9 of 27 Old 11-12-2014, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
diestler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I should add my two majors "issues" (which you might have with all big screens?) are:
1 - you won't hit two studs (limited mounting options) and anchors make me uncomfortable, so be prepared to span studs with additional wood - I used some 1x4s
2 - the power cable is short and you can't just unplug it and replace it with a longer cable.
diestler is offline  
post #10 of 27 Old 11-13-2014, 09:24 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the replies! Really appreciate it.

From speaking with the folks at Elite, seems like the big differences between this and the CineTension2 are the limited screen sizes and fabrics, the inflexibility of mounting (as you've discussed, thanks!), and the the more "minimalist" case.

My last question really has to do with the case -- do you notice any flex in the case, or does it seem like it's staying sturdy and straight now that you've got it mounted?

Thanks again for the answers, guys!
theradiostar is offline  
post #11 of 27 Old 11-13-2014, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
diestler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theradiostar View Post
Thanks for the replies! Really appreciate it.

From speaking with the folks at Elite, seems like the big differences between this and the CineTension2 are the limited screen sizes and fabrics, the inflexibility of mounting (as you've discussed, thanks!), and the the more "minimalist" case.

My last question really has to do with the case -- do you notice any flex in the case, or does it seem like it's staying sturdy and straight now that you've got it mounted?

Thanks again for the answers, guys!
When the screen arrived via freight delivery in an ultra long box - I got it unpackaged and was worried when I laid it out, it wasn't flat. The best I can describe it, the case was twisted. Only slightly, but it was not completely straight. Imagine ringing out a wet towel, it was like that - but only a minor twist. Once I got it mounted though, it opened and closed like a charm and it's obviously no longer twisted. I am concerned that there isn't a mounting hole in the middle of the case - this thing is long and heavy, it should have extra support in the middle, but it doesn't. So far, I haven't seen any sag in the middle, but I wonder if over time it would develop some?
diestler is offline  
post #12 of 27 Old 11-13-2014, 10:56 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by diestler View Post
When the screen arrived via freight delivery in an ultra long box - I got it unpackaged and was worried when I laid it out, it wasn't flat. The best I can describe it, the case was twisted. Only slightly, but it was not completely straight. Imagine ringing out a wet towel, it was like that - but only a minor twist. Once I got it mounted though, it opened and closed like a charm and it's obviously no longer twisted. I am concerned that there isn't a mounting hole in the middle of the case - this thing is long and heavy, it should have extra support in the middle, but it doesn't. So far, I haven't seen any sag in the middle, but I wonder if over time it would develop some?
That was my concern, as well. Glad you're enjoying the screen, and thank you for your replies!
theradiostar is offline  
post #13 of 27 Old 11-18-2014, 06:35 AM
Member
 
cigga24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mine came straight and flat. My beams are parallel so my guys had no issue mounting. Like the post above, mine goes up and down with no problem. I posted a review on amazon with pics. Yes the cord is short, mine just reached the outlet behind the tv. My casing seemed fairly solid when i took box off, would've looked great on ceiling if it was white but oh well.
cigga24 is offline  
post #14 of 27 Old 11-21-2014, 12:14 PM
Member
 
Mattcc22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Jacksonville / Orange Park, FL
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just FYI...I asked Elite if they would be adding any additional options to this line soon and this was their reply...

"Spectrum Tension 3D Series with CineGray3D material, is under consideration, but not yet ready.

Saker Tension 5D, with CineGray5D is for sure coming, but not a sure day yet. sometime in 2015."
Mattcc22 is offline  
post #15 of 27 Old 11-24-2014, 11:26 AM
Newbie
 
theruffryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have any updates on this screen? Been thinking about getting this vs the manual pro with the fiber backed screen.

Thanks!
theruffryder is offline  
post #16 of 27 Old 12-15-2014, 08:56 AM
Member
 
Solarium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am wondering about this screen as well. Is the Cinetension2 worth the extra $600 for the 100" version? The Cinetension has a lot of complaints that it develops wrinkles/ripples after a few years or so.

I currently have the Spectrum (regular) 100" for about 5 years, and looking to upgrade to a tensioned screen.
Solarium is offline  
post #17 of 27 Old 12-17-2014, 01:48 PM
Member
 
ProjectionHead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarium View Post
I am wondering about this screen as well. Is the Cinetension2 worth the extra $600 for the 100" version? The Cinetension has a lot of complaints that it develops wrinkles/ripples after a few years or so.

I currently have the Spectrum (regular) 100" for about 5 years, and looking to upgrade to a tensioned screen.
If you do not need the variety of surfaces and sizes that the Cinetension2 offers, the Starling Tensioned is a GREAT value for the dollar. It is still relatively new so there may not be a lot of chatter online about it, but we have had over a dozen pass through our hands without any complaints about the surface to date.
ProjectionHead is offline  
post #18 of 27 Old 12-17-2014, 02:40 PM
Member
 
Solarium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectionHead View Post
If you do not need the variety of surfaces and sizes that the Cinetension2 offers, the Starling Tensioned is a GREAT value for the dollar. It is still relatively new so there may not be a lot of chatter online about it, but we have had over a dozen pass through our hands without any complaints about the surface to date.
Are you talking about the Starling tensioned instead of the Spectrum tensioned? It's still around $700 shipped, what's the main difference between the Starling, Spectrum, and Cinetension2?
Solarium is offline  
post #19 of 27 Old 12-17-2014, 09:28 PM
Newbie
 
zebibyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, all, I just received and tested an Elite Screens ELECTRIC125HT tab-tensioned model from Amazon.

It arrived nicely boxed and seemed to have survived shipping OK. Once it was temporarily installed in my garage, I did notice it had some V shaped wrinkles (from top corners to bottom middle), and the usual horizontal lines from sitting rolled up in the warehouse. After a few days of hanging to try to relieve the lines, not much change was noted, so I contacted Elite and they advised an RMA. Rather than deal with that, I've returned it via Amazon and another one is on the way.

It seems like a nice screen option, good quality build, and potentially a great value if I can get a properly tensioned unit. The screen material is nothing special, but looked good. The tab tensioning strings were very loose, and I asked Elite's tech support if that might be the problem, but they didn't really want to deal with it, just referring me to their website to start the replacement process. Raising and lowering the screen is slow, but fairly quiet. This first unit also had an issue where it didn't want to stop the motor when the screen was fully rolled up, so it made a grinding noise until the stop button was pressed on the remote.

Anyway, hoping for better results with a replacement unit, the value and performance seem worth the hassle.

(FYI, cross posting this here so it may help others looking at this model)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Elite Screens ELECTRIC125HT wrinkles side.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	428434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elite Screens ELECTRIC125HT wrinkles front.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	428442  
zebibyte is online now  
post #20 of 27 Old 12-18-2014, 12:29 AM
Senior Member
 
IndianaGeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebibyte View Post
Hi, all, I just received and tested an Elite Screens ELECTRIC125HT tab-tensioned model from Amazon.

It arrived nicely boxed and seemed to have survived shipping OK. Once it was temporarily installed in my garage, I did notice it had some V shaped wrinkles (from top corners to bottom middle), and the usual horizontal lines from sitting rolled up in the warehouse. After a few days of hanging to try to relieve the lines, not much change was noted, so I contacted Elite and they advised an RMA. Rather than deal with that, I've returned it via Amazon and another one is on the way.

It seems like a nice screen option, good quality build, and potentially a great value if I can get a properly tensioned unit. The screen material is nothing special, but looked good. The tab tensioning strings were very loose, and I asked Elite's tech support if that might be the problem, but they didn't really want to deal with it, just referring me to their website to start the replacement process. Raising and lowering the screen is slow, but fairly quiet. This first unit also had an issue where it didn't want to stop the motor when the screen was fully rolled up, so it made a grinding noise until the stop button was pressed on the remote.

Anyway, hoping for better results with a replacement unit, the value and performance seem worth the hassle.

(FYI, cross posting this here so it may help others looking at this model)
You didn't mention it, so I have to ask: did you level it?
IndianaGeorge is offline  
post #21 of 27 Old 12-18-2014, 12:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
ben38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 842
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebibyte View Post
Hi, all, I just received and tested an Elite Screens ELECTRIC125HT tab-tensioned model from Amazon.

It arrived nicely boxed and seemed to have survived shipping OK. Once it was temporarily installed in my garage, I did notice it had some V shaped wrinkles (from top corners to bottom middle), and the usual horizontal lines from sitting rolled up in the warehouse. After a few days of hanging to try to relieve the lines, not much change was noted, so I contacted Elite and they advised an RMA. Rather than deal with that, I've returned it via Amazon and another one is on the way.

It seems like a nice screen option, good quality build, and potentially a great value if I can get a properly tensioned unit. The screen material is nothing special, but looked good. The tab tensioning strings were very loose, and I asked Elite's tech support if that might be the problem, but they didn't really want to deal with it, just referring me to their website to start the replacement process. Raising and lowering the screen is slow, but fairly quiet. This first unit also had an issue where it didn't want to stop the motor when the screen was fully rolled up, so it made a grinding noise until the stop button was pressed on the remote.

Anyway, hoping for better results with a replacement unit, the value and performance seem worth the hassle.

(FYI, cross posting this here so it may help others looking at this model)
That's garbage. I've seen non tensioned screens that look better. It's obviously defective. Send it back. Best of luck with the replacement.
old corps likes this.
ben38 is online now  
post #22 of 27 Old 12-18-2014, 01:43 AM
Newbie
 
zebibyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaGeorge View Post
You didn't mention it, so I have to ask: did you level it?
Yeah, not perfect, but bubble centered in a 36" level, so reasonably good
zebibyte is online now  
post #23 of 27 Old 12-18-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
old corps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 1,494
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
That's garbage. I've seen non tensioned screens that look better. It's obviously defective. Send it back. Best of luck with the replacement.

Agreed! I've got a NON tensioned 120" electric screen that I purchased from htdepot.com (Focupix) almost 4 years ago & it's NEVER had any waves or wrinkles.


Ed
old corps is online now  
post #24 of 27 Old 01-29-2015, 11:11 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has this screen gone up in price? It's currently $470 at Amazon and I see some of you have gotten it for closer to $400 any other places to source it from?

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
Niloch is offline  
post #25 of 27 Old 01-29-2015, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
diestler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niloch View Post
Has this screen gone up in price? It's currently $470 at Amazon and I see some of you have gotten it for closer to $400 any other places to source it from?

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
Looks like it's $570 right now. Yes, the price shifts on it. Not sure why it was a couple hundred dollars less when I bought mine, but it was. I would just recommend watching it's pricing. When I bought mine buy.com and overstock also had similar prices to amazon, so maybe check those sites too?
diestler is offline  
post #26 of 27 Unread Today, 06:40 PM
Newbie
 
donglywang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebibyte View Post
Hi, all, I just received and tested an Elite Screens ELECTRIC125HT tab-tensioned model from Amazon.

It arrived nicely boxed and seemed to have survived shipping OK. Once it was temporarily installed in my garage, I did notice it had some V shaped wrinkles (from top corners to bottom middle), and the usual horizontal lines from sitting rolled up in the warehouse. After a few days of hanging to try to relieve the lines, not much change was noted, so I contacted Elite and they advised an RMA. Rather than deal with that, I've returned it via Amazon and another one is on the way.

It seems like a nice screen option, good quality build, and potentially a great value if I can get a properly tensioned unit. The screen material is nothing special, but looked good. The tab tensioning strings were very loose, and I asked Elite's tech support if that might be the problem, but they didn't really want to deal with it, just referring me to their website to start the replacement process. Raising and lowering the screen is slow, but fairly quiet. This first unit also had an issue where it didn't want to stop the motor when the screen was fully rolled up, so it made a grinding noise until the stop button was pressed on the remote.

Anyway, hoping for better results with a replacement unit, the value and performance seem worth the hassle.

(FYI, cross posting this here so it may help others looking at this model)
I recommended the Starling STT135UWH-E6 that is the 120" tensioned for a family member and it has many of the same waves and wrinkles that you are seeing. They contacted Elite Screens and they didn't want to help at all with adjusting it. Basically just wanted them to cut a big 3' x 3' hole in it, take a picture and send it to them so they could ship out a replacement. Replacement had the same issues and Elite Screens have basically said at this point that they have checked their stock and they can't provide a replacement.....so basically their stock is all messed up from reading between the lines. Not sure why they are even selling product they know is no good.

They are going to work with B&H to get a refund at this point, but I would stay away from this model.
old corps likes this.
donglywang is offline  
post #27 of 27 Unread Today, 10:03 PM
Newbie
 
zebibyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by donglywang View Post
I recommended the Starling STT135UWH-E6 that is the 120" tensioned for a family member and it has many of the same waves and wrinkles that you are seeing. They contacted Elite Screens and they didn't want to help at all with adjusting it. Basically just wanted them to cut a big 3' x 3' hole in it, take a picture and send it to them so they could ship out a replacement. Replacement had the same issues and Elite Screens have basically said at this point that they have checked their stock and they can't provide a replacement.....so basically their stock is all messed up from reading between the lines. Not sure why they are even selling product they know is no good.

They are going to work with B&H to get a refund at this point, but I would stay away from this model.
Just as an update, I did get a replacement screen through Amazon (Elite wanted to do the same cut a square and ship replacement, but Amazon was faster). The second one was shipped via freight rather than UPS, and arrived in much better shape, and is working great.

I do think the tensioning on these models is more of a gimmick, but it could be useful later when the wrinkles grow. Overall, I'd still recommend it, but just barely.
zebibyte is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Screens

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off