1Likes
  • 1 Post By AV Science Sales 5

post #1 of 8 Old 10-20-2014, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Screen size question

I'm finishing my basement, where there will be a long rectangular space about 33' long and 9' wide, and 9' ceilings. These measurements are pre-drywall. What's the biggest size 16:9 screen I could hope to fit there, with the expectation that I'll have standing loudspeakers at each side of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-21-2014, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxfan111111 View Post
I'm finishing my basement, where there will be a long rectangular space about 33' long and 9' wide, and 9' ceilings. These measurements are pre-drywall. What's the biggest size 16:9 screen I could hope to fit there, with the expectation that I'll have standing loudspeakers at each side of it.
Sounds like 100 inches is about as big as you can go unless you build a false wall to put up an Acoustic Transparent screen.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-21-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
With a narrow room like that, I would either use in-wall speakers and an AT screen or build a false wall for in-room speakers and an AT screen. Using an AT screen would allow you to go up to 115" diagonal 16:9. If you do not do this, the max size will be around 94". That is allowing 10" on each side for speakers and using a 2.5" wide frame. A 100" diagonal screen with 2.5" wide frame would only allow 7.5" on each side for speakers. AT screen, is by far your best option. If you would like to discuss these options give us a call.
Archaea likes this.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #4 of 8 Old 10-21-2014, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

I made a typo mistake in the measurements. I typed 9' for the width but it's actually 11'. Sorry guys. Can anyone answer based on this measurement? I'm not looking to go in-wall or false wall.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-21-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
I made a typo mistake in the measurements. I typed 9' for the width but it's actually 11'. Sorry guys. Can anyone answer based on this measurement? I'm not looking to go in-wall or false wall.
In that case a 123" diagonal 16:9 screen should work. That would be 60' x 107". With a 3" frame you should have enough room for narrow tower speakers on either side and a center channel under the screen. I'd mount it 30" off the floor an 12" from the ceiling. That's the largest - 119" or 110" diagonal would work too. Be careful of the size tower speakers you get - my Martin Logan Motion 40's are 8" wide. They still need to be toe'd in a bit though.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!

Last edited by Craig Peer; 10-21-2014 at 01:07 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-21-2014, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that info. I'm really hoping to get as big as I can get since my viewing distance has the potential to be so deep.

In my research I am seeing 120" screens and then a jump up to 135" for 16x9 screens, but is there such a thing as a 123" 16x9 screen? I'll take any recommendations I can get. I'm looking for something below $500 if possible. Probably fixed frame.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-21-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Really can't 100% answer the question, without knowing how much room you need for your speakers. Also keep in mind, if you are going to toe the speakers in toward the listening position, you will need even more room. With speakers pushed into the corners, I would want them toed-in.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #8 of 8 Old 10-22-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:

Another option is to wall mount somewhat smaller speakers below the screen unless you really want larger fronts.

I have a 9 foot wide screen on a 10 foot wide wall; I went with Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 speakers for my fronts which are mounted below the screen as I didn't want to sacrifice screen size for tower speakers. This has worked out excellent for me as my walls are black, so you don't even see them during movies - all you see is screen basically. The Pro Monitor 1000s perform extremely well too when properly implemented within the system (The Pro Audyssey calibration on my Denon X3000 is just outstanding). You might want to consider some acoustic treatments too with the left and right speakers being so close to the walls if you go this route. My sub is in the backroom corner along with all of my equipment. It's all actually in the closet really as I took my home office and coverted it to a theater room.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page