Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-25-2014, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Black Diamond Zero Edge

I hate to make a thread about this, but google isn't helping much. I am looking to upgrade my current Carada screen to a Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge screen. My theater is completely light controlled and can be pitch black in the middle of the day. The reason I want the black diamond screen is because I saw a video demonstration on how it doesn't light up the whole room when the light from the projector shines on it. The fact that I can have some lights on in the room without washing out the image is an added bonus.

My question is, what is the street price of these screens? I'm looking at 115" to 117" Zero Edge screen (whichever is available). I've only seen MSRP prices for these which seem a bit outrageous to me (over 4 grand for the screen I'm looking for). Anybody know or would be able to PM me what a good price for such a screen would be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-26-2014, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Anybody own a zero edge black diamond screen???
post #3 of 15 Old 10-26-2014, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a Black Diamond Zero Edge. My 92 inch is up for sale. Going on the 4K LED TV band wagon.

The screens are really pricey, you'll be hard pressed to find much discount anywhere. They range in the $3.5-4.5K for the zero edge with the LED edge light. There are some sellers on eBay that can cut you a good deal, and I did speak to someone where on the board who is a seller. Can't remember who it was.

Yes, you can leave some lights on, actually quite a bit of light. I can watch during the day with mine. And it doesn't reflect much back either, if you try and eat dinner while watching something in a pitch black room, you'll have difficulties. You keep waiting on the bright scenes

I have a 1.4 gain, the .8 gain is even less reflective, but has very limited viewing angles.
post #4 of 15 Old 10-27-2014, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
Anybody own a zero edge black diamond screen???
Can I suggest DNP Supernova Blade? The blade is an actual zero edge unlike the black diamond which still has an edge I believe. It's only 28lbs for the 100" and 3mm thick compared to the gigantic black diamond. Everything I've read shows the DNP Supernova to be superior. If you really need pretty LED lights, I'd say buy an LED kit and tape them to the back of the screen

http://www.dnp-screens.com/DNP08/Pro...ova-Blade.aspx

They are even cheaper than the black diamond. Give them a call

Dana
Projector SuperStore
Office 888-525-6696
www.projectorsuperstore.com
post #5 of 15 Old 10-27-2014, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderkv View Post
Can I suggest DNP Supernova Blade? The blade is an actual zero edge unlike the black diamond which still has an edge I believe. It's only 28lbs for the 100" and 3mm thick compared to the gigantic black diamond. Everything I've read shows the DNP Supernova to be superior. If you really need pretty LED lights, I'd say buy an LED kit and tape them to the back of the screen

http://www.dnp-screens.com/DNP08/Pro...ova-Blade.aspx

They are even cheaper than the black diamond. Give them a call

Dana
Projector SuperStore
Office 888-525-6696
www.projectorsuperstore.com
Thanks for the suggestion. The screen has all the same properties as the Black Diamond? Most important thing to me is the minimal light that's reflected back into the room. My current screen is white and lights up my entire room.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-27-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. The screen has all the same properties as the Black Diamond? Most important thing to me is the minimal light that's reflected back into the room. My current screen is white and lights up my entire room.
The DNP screen comes in a choice of HG23 and 08-85. HG23 is a high gain material and will reflect a lot of light back, but most of that light is reflected back towards the viewers. 08-85 is a low gain material and will reflect less light onto the walls, but being .85 gain will not be near as bright as the 1.4 gain Black Diamond. We are dealers for both and would be happy to discuss and price out. Just give us a call. Also note that SI's price increase goes into effect end of this month.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #7 of 15 Old 10-27-2014, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
The DNP screen comes in a choice of HG23 and 08-85. HG23 is a high gain material and will reflect a lot of light back, but most of that light is reflected back towards the viewers. 08-85 is a low gain material and will reflect less light onto the walls, but being .85 gain will not be near as bright as the 1.4 gain Black Diamond. We are dealers for both and would be happy to discuss and price out. Just give us a call. Also note that SI's price increase goes into effect end of this month.
Thanks for the reply. You guys sold me my projector, which is a JVC RS4810. Which screen and gain would you recommend for me in a completely light controlled room? The projector is ~12 feet or so from the screen. I do most viewing with the lights out completely, I just want something that gives me the same, nice bright picture as my current (Carada brilliant white screen) but without lighting up my whole room. I have the lens aperture at -3 on my JVC. 0 just lights up the entire room too much with that screen.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-27-2014, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Make sure that you understand the downsides of using a screen like the Black Diamond before you decide to spend that much money. We sell a ton of BD screens, and for good reason. But for a completely light controlled theater I would recommend against it, namely due to the reduced viewing angles and screen artifacts.

That said, if you are intent on going forward with replacing your matte white screen I would recommend the SI Slate. Roughly $3k in a 120" 16:9. You would give up a little light rejection, which you aren't really in need of in the first place.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-27-2014, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJBaylor View Post
Make sure that you understand the downsides of using a screen like the Black Diamond before you decide to spend that much money. We sell a ton of BD screens, and for good reason. But for a completely light controlled theater I would recommend against it, namely due to the reduced viewing angles and screen artifacts.

That said, if you are intent on going forward with replacing your matte white screen I would recommend the SI Slate. Roughly $3k in a 120" 16:9. You would give up a little light rejection, which you aren't really in need of in the first place.
How would the slate screen do at reducing the amount of light reflected into the room off of the screen itself? Rejecting ambient light isn't really a concern for me, since my room is light controlled, like you said.

And the SI Slate screen also is free of the artifacts and reduced viewing angles that the BD screen has?

Last edited by Blackdevil77; 10-27-2014 at 12:38 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-27-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I just want something that gives me the same, nice bright picture as my current (Carada brilliant white screen) but without lighting up my whole room.
I compared the two DNP Supernovas .8 and 2.3 side by side after purchasing both and highly recommend the 2.3. Although slightly less blacks then the .8, it's still better blacks than your white screen with unmatched top and bottom light absorption and good side light absorption. It has a more narrow viewing angle than the .8 but the drop was very little to my eyes even at the widest angle (from my observations). I can turn all the overhead lights on and indirect side lighting and still watch movies no problem.

A thread on here directly compares the 1.4 BD to DNP 2.3 and that person also favors the Supernova Blade 2.3.

Last edited by snyderkv; 10-27-2014 at 11:14 AM.
post #11 of 15 Old 10-27-2014, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
How would the slate screen do at reducing the amount of light reflected into the room off of the screen itself? Rejecting ambient light isn't really a concern for me, since my room is light controlled, like you said.

And the SI Slate screen also is free of the artifacts and reduced viewing angles that the BD screen has?
I can't tell you exactly how well it will reduce reflected light, but it is designed to do the exact same thing as the BD material, only slightly less effectively. My personal experience is that the viewing angle is slightly better (though according the SI I think the are the same) but most importantly it will save you over a thousand dollars. And in the end, you are paying for a lot of capability and screen technology that you aren't going to be using.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-28-2014, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderkv View Post
I compared the two DNP Supernovas .8 and 2.3 side by side after purchasing both and highly recommend the 2.3. Although slightly less blacks then the .8, it's still better blacks than your white screen with unmatched top and bottom light absorption and good side light absorption. It has a more narrow viewing angle than the .8 but the drop was very little to my eyes even at the widest angle (from my observations). I can turn all the overhead lights on and indirect side lighting and still watch movies no problem.

A thread on here directly compares the 1.4 BD to DNP 2.3 and that person also favors the Supernova Blade 2.3.
They don't have a gain between 2.3 and .8? My current screen is 1.3 and it's just about as bright as I would want to go. 2.3 might be too bright.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-28-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
They don't have a gain between 2.3 and .8? My current screen is 1.3 and it's just about as bright as I would want to go. 2.3 might be too bright.
Then turn the brightness down on your projector geez. Save bulb life plus the headroom to maintain brightness as the bulb dies. You can also dim the screen by calibrating your projector.

Anyways, I'd go with xBaylor advice. You don't want to pay for functions you don't care about. If you can get the SI (which I know nothing about) for less than my DNP Blade $2600, then go for it. Otherwise, drive to a shop that has them on display and test them out.
post #14 of 15 Old Yesterday, 06:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. You guys sold me my projector, which is a JVC RS4810. Which screen and gain would you recommend for me in a completely light controlled room? The projector is ~12 feet or so from the screen. I do most viewing with the lights out completely, I just want something that gives me the same, nice bright picture as my current (Carada brilliant white screen) but without lighting up my whole room. I have the lens aperture at -3 on my JVC. 0 just lights up the entire room too much with that screen.
Mario, give me a call to discuss. If you want less light hitting the side walls, then you need a smaller viewing angle and or dim the projector down.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #15 of 15 Old Today, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Mario, give me a call to discuss. If you want less light hitting the side walls, then you need a smaller viewing angle and or dim the projector down.
I convinced the "boss" to paint the ceiling and the surrounding walls black. I hung a piece of black velvet over the screen on the ceiling to keep the reflections tame off the ceiling and the difference was very noticeable, even to the boss. Contrast greatly increased in addition to the room not lighting up as much. Once I paint the ceiling and side walls and see where I'm at, I'll give you a call.
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page