Should I go for plus gain or standard gain? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 10-28-2014, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Should I go for plus gain or standard gain?

This one's a bit tricky for me. I have a cabin which probably will be my home in one and a half years, when my daughter moves out to go to college. My son's already out and me and my wife really don't need 3600 square inches, plus a garage. 20 years ago I needed that, to make room for my LPs and CDs, comic books, books and so on. Now all that fits on a small hard drive. The problem is that the cabin has a north wall like this:

And and the south and west walls are like this (it's finished now, and the power cable on the west wall has been taken care of!):

The screen will be on the east wall. I have motorized roller blinds all around (courtesy of RollerTrol and IKEA Tupplur), so I can kill most of the light. But not all of it. Not completely. And every now and then, on a slow Sunday or Saturday evening, I may think :"It would be nice to se a totally pointless mess of violence right now. Where did I put 'Expendables 2' again?" There is a TV on the same wall as the screen will go, and I got that idea a month or so ago (well, almost, I watched "Loopers" with a friend while drinking beer), and that was not very successful, especially with the darker parts of the movie. And most of my movies are pretty dark. Even with my Philips 55". Most brands of TV's were out of the question because the screen is far to shiny on them, I found that Philips had the least shiny one.

OK, so the use is mainly after the Norwegian main newscast Dagsrevyen, around 8 P.M. From October and until early April that means darkness (on the edge of town). But in the summertime that means full on sunshine on the south and then on the west wall. And I really love my dark scenes, did I mention that? I have had a Barco CRT for the last 10 years in my home, in a room without any windows at all, and I'm so very fond of the scenes where it's supposed to be dark and it really is. And then there are details in the almost dark scenes as well. For instance "Underworld". I just don't watch that on my LCD TV at the cabin, it's a mess of grey.

As for projector I will probably get a JVC or something for now and then a laser or whatever technology wins in a few years, so that black can actually be black and not just shades of grey.

So with all that in mind, should I get a plus gain screen or go for a 1? A Stewart Firehawk is an option, all though expensive here in Norway (around 8000 dollars). I know I want tab tension, a wavy screen annoys the heck out of me on long pans. I just need to get some sound advice on the gain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tors hytte 27.8.2014 (6).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	337249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tors hytte 6.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	337257  

i7@ 3.6 - ATI 3870HD - Windows 7 64 bit - FFDShow with dScaler sharpen, AVISynth and Lancoz resize to BG808 with HD-144 lenses
Reply Screens

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page