Jamestown or Seymour or Falcon? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-24-2014, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Jamestown or Seymour or Falcon?

Tring to decide between jamestown, seymour or falcon for an AT scope screen. I have samples from both seymour and falcon but havent decided yet as I really like them both. I will have a single row about 13 ft from 130" screen. If I go with the centerstage XD material, is the only difference between seymour and jamestown the frame? The difference in cost is about 1k so while not minimizing the quality of the seymour frame, is it worth the extra 1k over the jamestown?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-24-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 1995
Which Falcon screen material do you have? My new Falcon scope screen should be showing up tomorrow with the latest Horizon screen material.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-25-2014, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

The HD and the Horizon.

post #4 of 10 Old 11-27-2014, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Bump. Can a yone comment on the seymour frame and if they feel it is worth spending 1k on it over the jamestown screen?
post #5 of 10 Old 12-02-2014, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
post #6 of 10 Old 12-02-2014, 04:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I've only seen the Seymour Premier frame. Never seen the cheaper Precision frame. The Premier frame is as strong a frame as you can get, i think. And It's covered with really black, high quality velvet. Top notch quality all the way.
I've also seen a Jamestown frame. It's well built for a DIY frame. I know it's not a DIY frame, but it does have the feel of one. It's made out of wood. My 1st floor babysitter has been using a 120 inch 16:9 Jamestown screen for about 2 years now, and it's already starting to bow a bit at the middle. It's a good frame for 230 dollars as long as you keep your expectations on a realistic level.
The Premier frame, on the other hand, is on a completely different level of quality. I hear the cheaper Precision frame is very good too, though i can't confirm that personally.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-03-2014, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben38 View Post
I've only seen the Seymour Premier frame. Never seen the cheaper Precision frame. The Premier frame is as strong a frame as you can get, i think. And It's covered with really black, high quality velvet. Top notch quality all the way.
I've also seen a Jamestown frame. It's well built for a DIY frame. I know it's not a DIY frame, but it does have the feel of one. It's made out of wood. My 1st floor babysitter has been using a 120 inch 16:9 Jamestown screen for about 2 years now, and it's already starting to bow a bit at the middle. It's a good frame for 230 dollars as long as you keep your expectations on a realistic level.
The Premier frame, on the other hand, is on a completely different level of quality. I hear the cheaper Precision frame is very good too, though i can't confirm that personally.
Have people bought screens and say attached a metal rod on the back of the screen along the edges to keep it from bowing?

post #8 of 10 Old 12-03-2014, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

I have a smaller jamestown screen now. It is a 100" 16:9 screen. I have had it for four years and it has not bowed at all. Just trying to figure out if it is worth it to spend about double for a seymour or falcon screen.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-03-2014, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgswff3 View Post
I have a smaller jamestown screen now. It is a 100" 16:9 screen. I have had it for four years and it has not bowed at all. Just trying to figure out if it is worth it to spend about double for a seymour or falcon screen.
I just got my new Falcon 2.35:1 screen put up this week, I went with the new Horizon material and I have to say that so far its AWESOME! The new material is great and you can not see any screen weave even at 2ft away, it looks like a solid screen until you are right up to the screen and it still has to be a white image to see the weave. I'll try to get some measurements of the new screen as far as the sound goes, but to my ears it literally doesn't change the sound at all, just as if the screen isn't even there.

I've always really appreciated the nice quality extruded aluminum frames. So for me the easy answer is "yes" it's totally worth the price to get the frame. Someone else might not feel the same way though. What I can tell you though is that if you do look at getting a new screen definitely consider the Falcon screen and the new Horizontal material. It hardly costs anything more then the original material and it's totally worth it. You didn't say whether or not you had a 2.35:1 screen or a 16:9 screen but if you went with a 16:9 130" diagonal screen its only $200 more to go with the horizontal material. The new material from Falcon is basically the same cost as SeymourAV's standard XD material with a premium frame.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-05-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 188
If close seating is a priority, then our UF offers a texture-less response and is available in the less expensive Precision frame. If objective reviews are important, then you should go with a company with a history of producing best-in-class and recommended screen materials: http://www.accucalhd.com/documents/a...een_report.pdf
Better product at lower cost; what's not to like?

Cheers,
Chris

Seymour AV
515-268-3369

Seymour-Screen Excellence
515-450-5694
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Screens

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page