AVS Forum banner

Deciding on screen

324 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  gec5741 
#1 ·
I have been trying to figure out what size screen to get for my room and it's proving to be tough. My room is about 14X16. I have a Epson 5030UB and Lens to screen is about 15'. With my couch against the back wal (or just off the wall) eyes to screen is bout the same 15' to screen. I may build a narrow sitting ledge that I can use when the extra seating is needed so this would require I push the couch up a good foot or so to make front row eyes to screen around 13' to 14'. So I've marked out on my wall 120" screen and 135" screen. I had planned on 120 but really when I go to 120 I'm almost a tad underwhelmed. I want it to be an imersive Movie experience and when I play something in 2.35 it becomes a bit smaller then I'd like. The 135 is at the absolute max I could go with my wall and still being able to get my center channel off the ground but I could make it work. Now 16:9 content like sports is leaning on the large size I don't feel really it's to large but it's close. I think 130" would be about perfect but hard to find a screen in that size.

I had planned on starting out with an Elite Sable fixed frame screen and didn't want to pay more then 400 bucks. And it dosn't look like I can get one in the 130" size. I found Jamestown that makes a custom 130" screen but I don't know much about them. I hear the frame is made of wood and can have the potential to bow over time and that worries me. I still have some time as I probably won't get anything till after the holliday's but any advice would be welcome on what I can do.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have been trying to figure out what size screen to get for my room and it's proving to be tough. My room is about 14X16. I have a Epson 5030UB and Lens to screen is about 15'. With my couch against the back wal (or just off the wall) eyes to screen is bout the same 15' to screen. I may build a narrow sitting ledge that I can use when the extra seating is needed so this would require I push the couch up a good foot or so to make front row eyes to screen around 13' to 14'. So I've marked out on my wall 120" screen and 135" screen. I had planned on 120 but really when I go to 120 I'm almost a tad underwhelmed. I want it to be an imersive Movie experience and when I play something in 2.35 it becomes a bit smaller then I'd like. The 135 is at the absolute max I could go with my wall and still being able to get my center channel off the ground but I could make it work. Now 16:9 content like sports is leaning on the large size I don't feel really it's to large but it's close. I think 130" would be about perfect but hard to find a screen in that size.

I had planned on starting out with an Elite Sable fixed frame screen and didn't want to pay more then 400 bucks. And it dosn't look like I can get one in the 130" size. I found Jamestown that makes a custom 130" screen but I don't know much about them. I hear the frame is made of wood and can have the potential to bow over time and that worries me. I still have some time as I probably won't get anything till after the holliday's but any advice would be welcome on what I can do.

Thanks in advance.

Why not move your seating closer to 12' or 13'. Your rear surround speakers will sound much better ( I'm assuming you have rear surrounds ). Then a 120" diagonal screen will look bigger !

#3 ·
I have my seating off the wall so i'm not directly under the rear surrounds. And we may be periodically moving the front seating a bit closer to sit a small ledge for seating behind the couch. but I'd rather for the main viewing times to be further away from a bigger screen then closer to a smaller screen personally. The room feels less cramped to me. The image in this picture to me just feels about right. I measured it and it's right around the 113" wide and 63.5" high. It just feels like it fits and looks better on the wall. When I go down to the 59X 104 for a 120" it just feels a lot smaller and less immersive. I really don't want to regret this decision. Are those Jamestown screens as good or better then the Elite? Will it hold up for a few years at least?

#4 ·
I have had my 110" Jamestown screen for 2 years now and have had no issue except having to retention it a few times but I believe he has changed to screen fastening system since then. Its made of wood backed by an aluminum bar and the longer sections come in two parts for shipping. This causes a seam in the middle and some with larger screens have complained about bowing. The frame is covered by a velvet cloth opposed to the Elite having a sprayed on felt (only from what I have read not from first hand experience). The screen material is also a little nicer then the Elite from reviews I have read. I would think the aluminum frame of the elite to be better to assemble and sturdier but have no first hand knowledge.

#5 · (Edited)
Hmm. Well this will be an entry level screen for me but id like it to last. I think I'll do some ssrious research on these jamestown screens though and measure out 130 and figue it out. For the price it may the ticket if 130 turns out to the right size. Guess I better get to watching movies!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.