Da-Lite High Power - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 12-27-2014, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Da-Lite High Power

Hi

I am deciding between Da-Lite High Power2.4 gain vs. Video Spectral 1.5 gain. From some of the article I read, higher gain is not necessary better. But some of articles appraised highly on Da-lite high power 2.4 gain. So I am confused so need your help.

I will use Benq w1070 for 133 inch screen in my basement with some of ambient light. I sometimes watch 3D movie. Under this condition, does da-lite high power 2.4 gain is still much better than 1.5 gain? Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it.

Regards,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-28-2014, 12:25 AM
Advanced Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roudan View Post
Hi

I am deciding between Da-Lite High Power2.4 gain vs. Video Spectral 1.5 gain. From some of the article I read, higher gain is not necessary better. But some of articles appraised highly on Da-lite high power 2.4 gain. So I am confused so need your help.

I will use Benq w1070 for 133 inch screen in my basement with some of ambient light. I sometimes watch 3D movie. Under this condition, does da-lite high power 2.4 gain is still much better than 1.5 gain? Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it.

Regards,
I'm not sure you need a high gain screen at all. The w1070 has plenty of lumens. Before you start looking for screens, put up a white bedsheet and project on to it. This should help you decide how much more gain you need for a screen. (the bedsheet will probably have a gain of less than 1)
Roudan likes this.
post #3 of 18 Old 12-29-2014, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You can contact Da-lite and request samples. I did when I was shopping for a screen and they quickly sent me a book of samples of all of their different screen materials. Then I taped up all of the samples and picked which one I liked best, which for me was the High Power screen. In my opinion, it made the image pop a lot more and look more alive, and the other screen samples looked sterial and muted in comparision.
post #4 of 18 Old 12-29-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Hi

Regards,

The High Power is currently not available. Give us a call at AV Science if we can help with an alternate screen selection.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #5 of 18 Old 01-01-2015, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post
You can contact Da-lite and request samples. I did when I was shopping for a screen and they quickly sent me a book of samples of all of their different screen materials. Then I taped up all of the samples and picked which one I liked best, which for me was the High Power screen. In my opinion, it made the image pop a lot more and look more alive, and the other screen samples looked sterial and muted in comparision.
Hi nickiakdl, thanks for your information. How does it work under lots of ambient light? And how does it compare to black diamond?
post #6 of 18 Old 01-01-2015, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Hi nickiakdl, thanks for your information. How does it work under lots of ambient light? And how does it compare to black diamond?
It does not help much with ambient light other than the image directly in the viewing cone with your head directly under the lens (within a foot) below is 2x brighter to begin with. It is not the same a the Black Diamond screens in any way what so ever.
It is also unavailable at this time.

Doug
Planar PD8150 paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

post #7 of 18 Old 01-01-2015, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes View Post
Quote:
It does not help much with ambient light other than the image directly in the viewing cone with your head directly under the lens (within a foot) below is 2x brighter to begin with. It is not the same a the Black Diamond screens in any way what so ever.
It is also unavailable at this time.
So black diamond is better than high power under burnt light ? Where to buy black diamond?
post #8 of 18 Old 01-16-2015, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I wanted to bump this thread and see if anyone had news on Da-Lite High Power screens.
I tried emailing the company directly, but got no response.
I've been waiting to order a large scope screen in High Power, but have no idea if and when they will offer them again.
Any news?
post #9 of 18 Old 01-16-2015, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbland View Post
I wanted to bump this thread and see if anyone had news on Da-Lite High Power screens.
I've been waiting to order a large scope screen in High Power, but have no idea if and when they will offer them again.
Any news?
Talked to the owner of projector screens . com yesterday about something unrelated but it came up in conversation and he said they have it listed as unavailable on all of there price sheets and documents with no expected time of availability. It's a great screen but a niche market so I am not holding my breath. He did say something about them releasing a new ambient light rejecting screen in the near future.. Since today's projectors are much brighter than the past and folks did tend to use the HP to help with ambient light issues they maybe forgoing the HP for something else.. This is just speculation on my part with nothing to back it up. However from a point of a manufacture who sells many more units to non Home Theater buyers which is about the only place you could use an HP successfully (very narrow seating area) it would not make a lot of sense to keep it...

Doug

post #10 of 18 Old 01-16-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

As sometimes happens, I posted the question and within a few minutes I got a reply from a Da-Lite CS rep.
Here it is:

"Unfortunately we do not have any of the old High Power fabric in house and as far as the new stuff we do not have that either. As far as the new High Power, our supplier is having a hard time getting all the proper ingredients to make this material. We have been out of it for the past year and have not heard when we will be receiving the next shipment. The closest fabric we have with high gain is our Video Spectra fabric and it has a 1.5 gain. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Thanks"

It sounds as they are not offering it anytime soon...
post #11 of 18 Old 01-16-2015, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
... As far as the new High Power, our supplier is having a hard time getting all the proper ingredients to make this material. ...
Well that's an interesting new piece of information. Who knew that one of the ingredients used in producing HP is unobtainium.
Frank714 likes this.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-16-2015, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Any news?
You might need to re-think your screen choice, unless you don't need it for another year !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #13 of 18 Old 01-16-2015, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
You might need to re-think your screen choice, unless you don't need it for another year !
I'm open to suggestions...Last time I checked, the alternatives all cost significantly more and were not "proven commodities".
I want a 137" diagonal scope high gain electric screen.
Who to try and about what will it run?
Thanks
post #14 of 18 Old 01-16-2015, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm open to suggestions...Last time I checked, the alternatives all cost significantly more and were not "proven commodities".
I want a 137" diagonal scope high gain electric screen.
Who to try and about what will it run?
Thanks
Start getting samples and pay a few bucks if you can for BIG samples.
Start looking for used 2.8 / 2.4 screen on a daily basis if you have not already done so.
Post a wanted thread in the avs classified if you have not done so

Doug

post #15 of 18 Old 01-19-2015, 09:26 AM
Pip

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Elunevision makes two retro-reflective 2.4 materials: Vivid Pro Cinema White, and Reference PureBright.

I used a High Power 2.8 for a dozen years, but wanted a larger screen. I now have the Vivid Pro. The image quality is very close to the High Power, but the Vivid Pro material is quite fragile - nowhere near as high quality as the 2.8.

According to the Elunevision rep, the Reference PureBright is much higher quality.

Unfortunately, I don't think they can be purchased through AVS. In addition to ordering direct, they can be purchased through Eastporters in Hamilton Ontario. The Vivid Pro material is very inexpensive. The Reference is quite reasonable in price.

If anyone tries these materials, please let us know your thoughts.

Pip
post #16 of 18 Old 07-25-2015, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Home Automation Control of Da-Lite Screen

I have a Da-Lite screen with a remote control. I want to incorporate control of the screen into my home automation system. My HA system uses Indigo on the Mac for control of all my switches, receptacles, thermostats, door locks, etc. The one thing I do not control is the Da-Lite screen. I found that Smarthome has an Insteon micro switch that could do the job but it does not work with Indigo. I am looking for a z-wave controller of some kind that could work. Does anyone have any ideas here?
post #17 of 18 Old 07-25-2015, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by wideglidejrp View Post
I have a Da-Lite screen with a remote control. I want to incorporate control of the screen into my home automation system. My HA system uses Indigo on the Mac for control of all my switches, receptacles, thermostats, door locks, etc. The one thing I do not control is the Da-Lite screen. I found that Smarthome has an Insteon micro switch that could do the job but it does not work with Indigo. I am looking for a z-wave controller of some kind that could work. Does anyone have any ideas here?
Da-Lite motorized screens lower if a 5 or 12 VDC voltage is sent to the VPI Trigger Module as documented on page 7 of the Contour Electrol installation manual:

http://da-lite.com/~/media/Images/Da...uctions_EO.pdf

Ideally the signal should be sent from the Trigger Out on your projector, since normally the only time you would want to lower the screen is when the projector is turned on. If your PJ doesn't have a Trigger Out, then any SmartHome module that provides a continuous 5 or 12 VDC output when selected would work. I'm not familiar with your SmartHome equipment, so you may need to contact their Tech Support to find out which of their modules, if any, would provide that functionality.
post #18 of 18 Old Today, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I do not have a PJ Out. I don't see where to apply the 5 v. The diagram on page 7 shows a connector with a 5 volt bus but that connector is fully occupied. I have a smarthome IOLink device that can produce 5 v. It also has dry contacts NO, NC, +5V, Gnd. Seems like it could do the job but I do not see how to hook it up.
Reply Screens
Gear in this thread - w1070 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page